TV Home Forum

New BBC Local Radio jingles

Launched on Radio Leicester (January 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RW
Robert Williams Founding member
Radio Berkshire are now using the new jingles, so just four to go now.
NB
NicB1971
I still hate the BBC Radio 2 jingles where they screech "Radio" at the highest unreachable key. I only caught a quick bit of the new local jingles and I'm wonder why did they bother
AM
Alfie Mulcahy
Today Radio Berkshire and BBC Essex have both got the new package today.

London and Suffolk still on the old package.

Not sure about Kent as technical issues meant they are sharing with Surrey this morning.
RW
Today Radio Berkshire and BBC Essex have both got the new package today.

London and Suffolk still on the old package.

Not sure about Kent as technical issues meant they are sharing with Surrey this morning.

Radio Kent are back and they have the new jingles. So just two to go.
DM
DeMarkay
Come on London!
AN
Andrew Founding member
Not that I’ve heard one for the best part of 10 weeks, but I’m told from today BBC Local Radio has stopped using Inrix travel presenters and the presenter is just reading the travel out themselves.

Most people won’t notice until they are back commuting of course and the real test will be when traffic is fully back and the presenter should be doing a fully detailed 2 minute bulletin, and not just giving lip service to it before moving to the next item.

It’s also of course yet more ‘entry level’ on air jobs that doesn’t exist in radio.
IS
Inspector Sands
Not that I’ve heard one for the best part of 10 weeks, but I’m told from today BBC Local Radio has stopped using Inrix travel presenters and the presenter is just reading the travel out themselves.

Most people won’t notice until they are back commuting of course and the real test will be when traffic is fully back and the presenter should be doing a fully detailed 2 minute bulletin, and not just giving lip service to it before moving to the next item.8

It’s also of course yet more ‘entry level’ on air jobs that doesn’t exist in radio.

Yes that started today, quite a few redundancies at Inrix and possibly some office closures too.

Seems from the tweets about this at the weekend form those losing their jobs that quite a few, if not all of their travel reporters were working from home. So an even sadder end for them

I don't know if any of the BBC locals have taken on any people to do the travel news slots

Last edited by Inspector Sands on 1 June 2020 4:45pm
SP
Steve in Pudsey
It seems that BBC Local Radio is planning to stick with the current temporary schedules until next March according to Larry and Paul of Radio Leeds.

Their Saturday afternoon show has been on hiatus since the schedule change, they said on their YouTube stream on Friday that they had been stood down until March 2021

EX
excel99
I wonder what that means for Radio Humberside's hourly weekday sports show - Sportstalk - and any other stations with a similarly scheduled show? Makes total sense being off air now, but once local professional sport restarts up, will an 'exception' to the temporary standard schedule be allowed, or will there be no dedicated sports shows unless they either last four hours or are covering live sport? Local sports coverage is a big part of many station's local provision
RW
I wonder what that means for Radio Humberside's hourly weekday sports show - Sportstalk - and any other stations with a similarly scheduled show? Makes total sense being off air now, but once local professional sport restarts up, will an 'exception' to the temporary standard schedule be allowed, or will there be no dedicated sports shows unless they either last four hours or are covering live sport? Local sports coverage is a big part of many station's local provision

Some of the four hour blocks are already split into different programmes, particularly in the evenings, so things like that can doubtless be accommodated.
IS
Inspector Sands
The single presenter only rule seems to have been broken in a few places too
AM
Alfie Mulcahy
BBC Radio Kent has finally got the new package!

Newer posts