TV Home Forum

Alan Carr's Epic Gameshow

Pretty much a retake on Gameshow Marathon in my opinion. (May 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SW
Steve Williams
It's actually quite refreshing to see a primetime ITV show not hosted by the usual suspects.

I've said before (several times) that Alan needed to move on from Channel Four, he was really stagnating there and they were shoving him in any format going, and he really needed to go somewhere else, much like how Graham Norton went to the Beeb partly because he thought he'd done everything he could on late night C4 and wanted to stretch himself in the mainstream. I'm pleased Alan has done this now and I think it should really work for him, he didn't have to change his act much at all and I think the mass audience really like him.
DeMarkay, Brekkie and Jonwo gave kudos
FA
fanoftv
I really enjoyed the programme, it didn’t seem to drag out at all to me, I’m looking forward to see Alan interacting with non-celebrity contestants though as feel he’ll be able to bounce off them a little more. The production seemed good and I love the fact that the set has a certain look but is flexible for each gameshow (judging by the trailer).
JO
Jonwo

I've said before (several times) that Alan needed to move on from Channel Four, he was really stagnating there and they were shoving him in any format going, and he really needed to go somewhere else, much like how Graham Norton went to the Beeb partly because he thought he'd done everything he could on late night C4 and wanted to stretch himself in the mainstream. I'm pleased Alan has done this now and I think it should really work for him, he didn't have to change his act much at all and I think the mass audience really like him.

I agree, he was presenting a lot of crap in the final years of his Channel 4 contract and I get the feeling Channel 4 was more than happy to let him go elsewhere.
AG
AxG
Wouldn't mind watching it, but it's doesn't appear to be on the Hub yet, both phone and TV.
VM
VMPhil
This isn't the first thing he's done since leaving Channel 4 I don't think - he presented a film-based panel show on Sky One last year.

I am sad we never got to see 'The Remote Controller', the format Harry Hill created where members of the public get the chance to have their TV idea commissioned.
BR
Brekkie
He was supposed to do a Saturday Night Takeaway spin-off a couple of years back but it fell through due to the Ant debacle.

Anyone know how it rated?
AN
Andrew Founding member
I was never a big fan of Play your cards Right even when Brucie hosted it, I much preferred TPIR, but I think Alan did a decent enough job of it.

I might have worked better if someone had actually cut the cards though, how many pairs did we get?!

I’ll be interested to see how they will extend Take Your Pick to an hour, as that was a fairly thin format at the best of times.

Alan has been narrating ‘the secrets of the driving test’ on Thursday nights on ITV, although as he said at the end of each episode, they only hired him because his name is ‘Carr’
GO
gottago
He was supposed to do a Saturday Night Takeaway spin-off a couple of years back but it fell through due to the Ant debacle.

4.3m, did very well indeed for a sunny May night. Peaked at 4.7m.
WL
W1LL

Not like people have anywhere to be!
GO
gottago

Well except in their gardens and parks like I was! I was expecting it to be much lower to be honest. BGT was down to 6m which suggests more people were out enjoying the sun.
RD
RDJ
I quite enjoyed it. Alan seemed to take it in his stride but took the game quite seriously which I liked.

I didn’t like the lack of a loser sound effect when a team made a wrong guess, and the way the correct number during the first round was displayed in the same screen looked a bit clunky.

But apart from those few niggles, I think this is a format that would suit Alan well should one of these get picked up for a full series.

Wasn’t overly a fan of the end game. I feel the original end game with risking the money worked better but I suppose then it’s harder to get to higher amounts of money that way.
SC
Score

Well except in their gardens and parks like I was! I was expecting it to be much lower to be honest. BGT was down to 6m which suggests more people were out enjoying the sun.

Yep, audiences were really low last night, so 4.3m is a great result. It would have been good anyway but especially on a night last night.

Pointless Celebrities at the same time only got half that number, it was that sort of evening.

Newer posts