TV Home Forum

The Sport Thread

For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (July 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
JAS84
They can easily show games on ten channels at once. I'm thinking BT Sport 1 and 2, BBC One, Sky Sports Premier League, Football, Action, and Arena, Pick, Challenge, and Sky One.
GE
thegeek Founding member
Something else I may have missed upthread (but will no doubt become clear when the fixture list is released) - with the FA Cup final scheduled for the 1st of August, I guess this means we're looking at the previous weekend for the final day of Premier League fixtures. So that's 6 weekends plus 3 midweeks?

UEFA really have the potential to put a spanner in the works here if/when UCL and UEL returns...
HC
Hatton Cross

because they're Sky's matches, it's a Sky-owned channel, and it's on Freeview?

Just to 'whack-a-mole' fully on this.
Pick TV is FTA on Dsat Dcable and DTT platfroms (even if some don't even know Pick TV actually exists) as others have said, for the Freeview platform it was either Pick or Challenge, or Sky News. Which would be very strange indeed.

Of course subscribers to Sky Sports via Sky will have the 'choice' of watching these FTA games on three different channels - Pick tv, Sky Sports Premier League and Sky Sports Main Event. And it wouldn't surprise me if some Sky exclusive games end up on Sky One and Sky Sports Mix now and then.
TI
TIGHazard

because they're Sky's matches, it's a Sky-owned channel, and it's on Freeview?

Just to 'whack-a-mole' fully on this.
Pick TV is FTA on Dsat Dcable and DTT platfroms (even if some don't even know Pick TV actually exists) as others have said, for the Freeview platform it was either Pick or Challenge, or Sky News. Which would be very strange indeed.

Of course subscribers to Sky Sports via Sky will have the 'choice' of watching these FTA games on three different channels - Pick tv, Sky Sports Premier League and Sky Sports Main Event. And it wouldn't surprise me if some Sky exclusive games end up on Sky One and Sky Sports Mix now and then.

Although with Sky's Comcast ownership that wouldn't be strange for them, having aired games on the Golf channel, Olympic channel and MSNBC before

DV
DVB Cornwall
The linked Eurosport article details the matches to be played on Neutral grounds, it also lists potential other games that might be switched depending on police intervention

The six 'definates' being....

Manchester City v Liverpool
Manchester City v Newcastle
Manchester United v Sheffield United
Newcastle v Liverpool
Everton v Liverpool
The sixth match would be the one where Liverpool can potentially be confirmed champions.

The 'possibles' being ...

Tottenham v West Ham;
Liverpool v Crystal Palace;
West Ham v Chelsea,
Liverpool v Aston Villa;
Crystal Palace v Chelsea;
Liverpool v Burnley;
Tottenham v Arsenal;
Liverpool v Chelsea and
Crystal Palace v Tottenham.
HC
Hatton Cross
Ahh yes - the annual 'highlight' of the last day of the season - finding out which fixture ends up on the Syfy channel, and which one ends up completly off the Comcast family of channels, and is a internet stream only game..

Fulham V Newcastle, on the Olympic Channel!
Suprised the IOC allow non Olympic orientated material to air on a five ring branded channel (even with the IMG tangle of connecting wires with the IOC and Premier League Productions).
Some would argue with that fixture, it was a stretch to class it as sport..
JA
JAS84
You know soccer is an Olympic sport, right?
HC
Hatton Cross
Yep. But I did say non Olympic material...
Last time I looked, Fulham and Newcastle were not their own countries with membership of the IOC.
Although in Newcastle's case, they are more forward than others, in that their national anthem in any medal ceremony could be 'Fog On The Tyne'
DV
DVB Cornwall
The Olympic Channel as available in the UK from various platforms frequently, or used to prior to these strange times, runs content and live competition from Olympic Sports but not necessarily featuring National Olympic committee sponsored teams or participants. It's often used to showcase the sports but not in 'Olympic Mode'. Notably these are usually new sports or candidate sports for inclusion but there have been Winter Sports events shown and around eighteen months ago focussed on Fencing and Archery. Their archive content is broad across all sports too, and also occasionally features non Olympic content as background.
BR
Brekkie
An unexpected one but C4 are showing the 1966 World Cup Final (in colour by the looks of it) next Sunday afternoon.

Hopefully they add VAR. Wink
Last edited by Brekkie on 31 May 2020 5:32pm
JA
JAS84
Colour footage exists? I thought there was only colour photographs, have they digitally coloured the footage? That World Cup Final has been on DVD before - given away with a newspaper - and that was in black and white.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
I can't remember where I've seen it (might have been on a video somewhere) but I'm sure I've seen part of the World Cup Final in colour, specifically the moment where the third goal was given thanks to the linesman, and also the part that's seen in the titles to They Think It's All Over, although that may be where I've remembered that from.

Mind you that being said: Look what's on YouTube in colour with no sound:

Been there since 2015 but I don't know if this is a cobbled together compilation from other people who were there or some broadcast footage (I know it would have gone out in black and white at the time, that's obvious). When Sky Sports aired it a while back and gave it their "treatment", it was black and white.

Newer posts