The Newsroom

BBC News Presenter Count 1967-2020

Presented by Rolling News and mccanmat. With cmthwtv and News96. (May 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JL
JamesLaverty1925
chris posted:
There was a similar advert for the Six and perhaps Breakfast too.

Funnily enough I was trying to find the one for the Six last week. I don't recall a Breakfast one though
RN
Rolling News
Ten O'clock News 2006:

(1) Huw Edwards - 164 programmes
(2) Fiona Bruce - 69 programmes
(3) Darren Jordon - 7 programmes
(4) Dermot Murnaghan - 6 programmes
(5) George Alagiah - 2 programmes
(6) Natasha Kaplinsky - 1 programme
RN
Rolling News
Ten O'clock News 2007:

(1) Huw Edwards - 152 programmes
(2) Fiona Bruce - 77 programmes
(3) Dermot Murnaghan - 7 programmes
(4) Natasha Kaplinsky - 4 programmes
(5) Emily Maitlis - 1 programme
(-) Jon Sopel - 1 programme
CM
cmthwtv
AlexS posted:
Did Maxine present on a week day?

Unsurprisingly that appears to be a mistake from the radio times (which is the source of genome)...
https://www.tvforum.co.uk/thenewsroom/maxine-mawhinney-present-ten-oclock-news-18326/

Moaning about continuity in that thread - little did the early 2000s forum knew what was coming in the future...
RN
Rolling News
News at Ten 2008:

(1) Huw Edwards - 148 programmes
(2) Fiona Bruce - 64 programmes
(3) George Alagiah - 31 programmes
(4) Sian Williams - 5 programmes
(5) Emily Maitlis - 2 programmes
Last edited by Rolling News on 1 June 2020 6:49pm
JW
JamesWorldNews
AlexS posted:
Did Maxine present on a week day?

Unsurprisingly that appears to be a mistake from the radio times (which is the source of genome)...
https://www.tvforum.co.uk/thenewsroom/maxine-mawhinney-present-ten-oclock-news-18326/

Arghhhh. There are some disgusting comments in that thread. We should be ashamed.

Aside from that, nice to see overnight news presenter Jake Lynch mentioned. I’d forgotten all about him.
BF
BFGArmy
I quite like looking back at some of the old threads and seeing how views have changed over time. Makes you wonder when opinions changed.
Also, are you still not a Fiona Bruce fan these days James? Wink

It's tough these days to think that Maxine Mawhinney once wasn't so liked on here - these days she's practically news royalty on here. I remember too the reaction was less than positive when Emily Maitlis was first added to the Newsnight team whereas these days it feels a perfect fit.

And it took quite a while for many to warm to Kate Silverton - although I don't think it helped that at one stage she almost seemed to be the next Kaplinsky with how she suddenly became incredibly prominent.
BF
BFGArmy
It's quite noticable looking back too how much more structured (for want of a better word) the news bulletin presenting line-ups seem to be. E.G. For the 10 at 2001 only four presenters being used during the year and it was largely Buerk & Sissons with only the odd appearance from George Aligiah and Fiona Bruce.

Whereas these days for various reasons (to be clear this is more an observation and not at all meant as a criticism) you never seem to know who you're going to get on some bulletins. It's more of a surprise these days when Sophie is on the 1 as she seems these days to instead be primarily the News At 10 cover and share the 6 O'Clock News with George who due to his unfortunate health issues isn't able to present as often as he once did.
SW
Steve Williams
AlexS posted:

That's a great thread, especially as it takes until the bottom of page five until it's actually confirmed she wasn't presenting it.

I remember the Radio Times once managing to bill Tim Neilson as presenting every single bulletin on ITV one week, clearly his name had been incorrectly duplicated on whatever billings they sent out.
RN
Rolling News
News at Ten 2009:

(1) Huw Edwards - 136 programmes
(2) Fiona Bruce - 62 programmes
(3) George Alagiah - 36 programmes
(4) Sophie Raworth - 22 programmes
(5) Matt Frei - 2 programmes
(-) Emily Maitlis - 2 programmes
(-) Sian Williams - 2 programmes
(6) Kate Silverton - 1 programme
RN
Rolling News
Have started a new thread to upload the figures for who presented what and how much in the 1990s for Breakfast News, the Six and the Nine. I've separated it for anyone who wants to see the 90s and doesn't want to wade through the 2000s figures to find them.

Breakfast News 1990:

(1) Nicholas Witchell - 165 programmes
(2) Laurie Meyer - 133 programmes
(3) Jill Dando - 107 programmes
(4) Fiona Foster - 23 programmes
(5) Kirsty Wark - 16 programmes
(6) Charlie Lee-Potter - 7 programmes
(7) Chris Lowe - 4 programmes
(8 ) Paul Burden - 3 programmes
NE
Newsroom
Have started a new thread to upload the figures for who presented what and how much in the 1990s for Breakfast News, the Six and the Nine. I've separated it for anyone who wants to see the 90s and doesn't want to wade through the 2000s figures to find them.

Breakfast News 1990:

(1) Nicholas Witchell - 165 programmes
(2) Laurie Meyer - 133 programmes
(3) Jill Dando - 107 programmes
(4) Fiona Foster - 23 programmes
(5) Kirsty Wark - 16 programmes
(6) Charlie Lee-Potter - 7 programmes
(7) Chris Lowe - 4 programmes
(8 ) Paul Burden - 3 programmes

I was a big fan of Charlie Lee Potter. Whatever happened to her?

Newer posts