TV Home Forum

Alan Carr's Epic Gameshow

Pretty much a retake on Gameshow Marathon in my opinion. (May 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Jon
Thought it was a decent effort but like others have said felt a bit stretched out. In Gameshow Marathon before the game was played there was a short piece about the history of the game with talking heads saying why they loved it. Perhaps they should have done the same here?

Also, what else has Chris Ramsey been one apart from panel shows or Christmas one-off specials? Very Happy

Lots of things to be fair, mainly known for Strictly now and of course he hasn’t really had a break out hit.

Also if you’re looking for something to do after your eye test...
Quote:
Ramsey is a regular fixture at Funny Way To Be Comedy Club in Barnard Castle, having performed there on eight occasions
Ash101, sjames and Brekkie gave kudos
TL
toby lerone 2016
Jon posted:
Thought it was a decent effort but like others have said felt a bit stretched out. In Gameshow Marathon before the game was played there was a short piece about the history of the game with talking heads saying why they loved it. Perhaps they should have done the same here?

Also, what else has Chris Ramsey been one apart from panel shows or Christmas one-off specials? Very Happy

Lots of things to be fair, mainly known for Strictly now and of course he hasn’t really had a break out hit.

Also if you’re looking for something to do after your eye test...
Quote:
Ramsey is a regular fixture at Funny Way To Be Comedy Club in Barnard Castle, having performed there on eight occasions

As stated he was very popular on Strictly last year and got to the Semi Final and if Will Bayley hadn't of got injured he may have got to the Final. He was also due to host the Little Mix BBC Saturday night show but has been postponed because of the Coronavirus.
BR
Brekkie
He had his own show on Comedy Central too, a BBC2 sitcom and he has been knocking around the scene for years and years. He's certainly put the graft in over the years but sadly now even if you do that you need a show like Strictly to take you up to the next level.

He's also one of the regular guest hosts on The One Show, though frankly who hasn't guest hosted The One Show?
Last edited by Brekkie on 31 May 2020 10:15am
TL
toby lerone 2016
He had his own show on Comedy Central too, a BBC2 sitcom and he has been knocking around the scene for years and years. He's certainly put the graft in over the years but sadly now even if you do that you need a show like Strictly to take you up to the next year.

He's also one of the regular guest hosts on The One Show, though frankly who hasn't guest hosted The One Show?

Forgot about the BBC2 sitcom, wasn't that Hebburn with Vic Reeves playing his Dad.

Back on topic to ITV anyway and I don't know about everyone else but I really enjoyed Epic Gameshow tonight with Play Your Cards Right, I loved the show with Brucie in the late 90s early 00s and am I correct in saying it is British Public from next week onwards not like gameshow marathon that had celebs every week.
JO
Jonwo
I wonder if the civilian version of Play Your Cards Right will appear later in the run or at Christmas?

Also, I notice that Talkback was the production company behind Epic Gameshow which is a first for them as they usually do comedy entertainment and their sister company Thames usually does shiny floor shows.
Last edited by Jonwo on 31 May 2020 12:51am
TT
ThatTVNerd
The first edition last night was a celebrity edition of Play Your Cards Right.

What did we think?

It certainly got me playing along at home as much as it would with Brucie at the helm.
WH
what
On Sky at least, the EPG had it listed as Episode 4.
EJ
EJNutz
I enjoyed it. It suited Alan Carr
CO
commseng
Did you spot that the couples as they were revealed had the wrong graphics?
Ore Oduba and partner were captioned as Eamonn Holmes and Ruth Langsford.
Bit of a silly mistake to have gone out on air on a pre-recorded programme.

I enjoyed it, but noticed that Brucie used to slide a cardboard indicator to show where the cards had been frozen, but this didn't.
It made it less clear which cards were played and couldn't be removed.

I think it would have been better without celebrity couples - it didn't need that hook - and Alan Carr was OK, but wouldn't have been my choice to present it. Not that it was my choice!
HC
Hatton Cross
And a redundant staircase on set, once Carr had walked down it - and was completely removed for the end game.

It was OK - but having grown up with Brucie marshalling the show, it was very jarring to hear so much shouting, hand waving and gasps from the studio audience.
Couldn't quite work out if those shots were done as recording break pick-ups, or they had a jib camera on the audience the whole time.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Alan Carr was OK, but wouldn't have been my choice to present it. Not that it was my choice!

Okay, I'll bite. Who would have been your choice?
CO
commseng
I would have thought someone like Peter Kay would have done well?

Newer posts