TV Home Forum

Bauer rebranding 53 stations to The Hits/Greatest Hits

The majority of its acquisitions last year (May 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LL
London Lite Founding member
The bigger audiences have more stations for individual tastes though, where as Lincolnshire and Cornwall have far less of that, so the one size fits all stations still have the larger shares.

Not true actually. Cornwall for example has a multitude of DAB stations, over 50 in all, and most of these are stations designed for individual moods, or playing a tightly formatted playlist. In fact, because of the plethora of stations for individual moods and tastes, the stations going broader actually stand out more, and in some cases are doing better because of it.

That's more wishful thinking more than fact. Where audiences have more choice in heavily populated areas where they are more likely to have a DAB radio, audiences have splintered. You only have to look at the Rajar for some of the Global stations to see that their audiences are choosing their digital spin-offs over the main FM station which have seen dents in their share.

Pirate has a lot of heritage and until 2006 was the only commercial station in Cornwall. Those who still only have FM/AM radios will choose Pirate over the remaining FM stations which are R1-R4, Radio Cornwall or Heart. (There are also some community stations which a minority may listen to as well).

Lincs has a similar issue where the station has a stonking great FM signal across the county from Belmont and is the only FM local commercial station in the majority of Lincolnshire. Habits are harder to change in rural Lincs than in urban areas where consumers are more likely to try other stations or digital radios.

There are other areas where commercial monopolies on FM still play a major influence. Yorkshire Coast Radio has the biggest reach in England, although the licence that covers the Bridlington area is also covered by Viking FM, but the main Scarborough TSA has no competition on FM.
IS
Inspector Sands

Not true actually. Cornwall for example has a multitude of DAB stations, over 50 in all, and most of these are stations designed for individual moods, or playing a tightly formatted playlist. In fact, because of the plethora of stations for individual moods and tastes, the stations going broader actually stand out more, and in some cases are doing better because of it.

'Plethora of stations for individual moods and tastes' is fancy word salad meaning you get the same 50 stations* everyone gets plus 4 (soon to be 3) that are unique to Cornwall.

Cornwall is badly served for radio, it's the nationals (I include Heart in that) then just Pirate, BBC Cornwall and a handful of community stations of varying quality. That's why as commseng says, Pirate is very broad and popular

* and that 'over 50' figure is correct depending on what postcode you use, obviously it varies especially around the coast
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 29 May 2020 6:41pm - 2 times in total
JO
Jon
I look forward to this conversation now going round in circles.
IS
Inspector Sands

There are other areas where commercial monopolies on FM still play a major influence. Yorkshire Coast Radio has the biggest reach in England, although the licence that covers the Bridlington area is also covered by Viking FM, but the main Scarborough TSA has no competition on FM.

Isn't CFM very similar in that it's the only station in Cumbria? Though its part of the Hits network and not been stand alone for years
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 29 May 2020 7:13pm
LL
London Lite Founding member

Isn't CFM very similar in that it's the only station in Cumbria? Though its part of the Hits network and not been stand alone for years

Yes, however local hours aren't very CHR orientated. Bauer have other stand alone Hits Network stations in Scotland, MFR and Radio Borders which are also treated differently to other stations in their portfolio with additional local programming and broader music but otherwise take networking.

The only real stand alone in England is Wave 105 on the south coast.
Last edited by London Lite on 29 May 2020 8:56pm - 2 times in total
BA
bilky asko

Yeah, I can't see this rebrand improving on Yorkshire Coast Radio's current position... though at least long names are not alien to the listenership.
PA
Parker

Yeah, I can't see this rebrand improving on Yorkshire Coast Radio's current position... though at least long names are not alien to the listenership.

Yorkshire Coast Brid & Scarborough come from Minsters Dunnington studios too. The best quote from a press release so far is from Graham Bryce MD, York radio station is 'not closing but evolving'. Utter rubbish, its transmitters wont be transmitting local programmes, just networked pap.
JT
jolly turnip
I suspect that Hits will be binned in time and Kiss will be rolled out on the Big City Network of heritage stations such as Aire, Hallam, Viking etc.

Problem is with that one, is that the music output of Kiss is different to some of the 'melodic' songs hanging around the charts, which sits very well on the Big City/Free Radio and GHR playlist - so well, in fact Bauer won't have to go asking for a significant output change request to Ofcom for any of the to be rebranded Greatest Hits Radio stations.

With Kiss, it would need a requests to downsize the CHR part, and up the Urban/R'n'B element.

Possibility of diluting the urban and rnb, with more dance/pop. Where Galaxy went for a while.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Jon posted:
I look forward to this conversation now going round in circles.

*Pulls up a chair and a large gin*
HT
HTV Best
Whilst I feel for those who will end up unemployed by this rebranding, I have to say I won't miss the Breeze at all.

Its so dull, like Smooth but with severe depression!

The guy who does South West breakfast occasionally pops as weekend cover on Radio Bristol. He sounds like a different guy on radio Bristol, engaged witty.

Sorry Breeze you won't be missed.
MD
MrDexB
[quote="Parker" pid="1235650"][quote="bilky asko" pid="1235618"]
Yorkshire Coast Brid & Scarborough come from Minsters Dunnington studios too.

Aaaah. I have a little secret then regarding that then. Sorry if this seems like drama and it shouldn't be posted here, and instead on Digital Spy, but it has just made me realised why this happened. When I used to be part of my student radio station when I went to the SRA Student Radio Conference North at the University of York, not the same place as URY, but still, the same University. Two of the DJs from the two separate stations, one older at Yorkshire Coast, the other a recent University graduate at Minster, and it was Roxanne Pallett was still on the station, and when the person from Yorkshire Coast was transferring from his presentation to the other, that person seemed quite hostile to how 'national' the DJ from Minster after his very decent successes broadcasting prank calls on URY, before getting a huge slot and have that energy transfer onto Minster, whereas he likes Yorkshire Coast better because it's much more local. The hostility is because of them being based at the very same building then. So yeah, Minster is 'expanding' the station more alright, but just because that station is not as local and 'cooler' than Yorkshire Coast is, as it's going to suffer without any focus on its news coverage for the Scarborough area. I bet Bauer is going to take advantage of them really bad though, being so Manchester-based for their national station line-up.
CO
commseng
I'm not sure that I follow any of that post.

Newer posts