TV Home Forum

Bauer rebranding 53 stations to The Hits/Greatest Hits

The majority of its acquisitions last year (May 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Jon
In a way, the fact there is little commercial competition makes it more surprising they survived. As these stations can more or less what they like and there is no where to lose listeners too.
JO
Jon
I quite like the GHR branding

Certainly better than Hits Radio.

I've heard a lot worse but the logo is a bit pants though lol

What do you point to as being a better radio station logo? Most are a bit bland!
Last edited by Jon on 27 May 2020 9:41pm - 2 times in total
TM
tmf9
tmf9 posted:
There's also the possibility of 1152 AM being switched off in Manchester as small scale local stations in Wigan, Warrington and Widnes are becoming Greatest Hits Radio.

I don't think either of them cover Manchester well enough to switch off the AM signal. Widnes and parts of Warrington are closer to Liverpool and fall within the Greatest Hits Liverpool TSA.

I live in Warrington (although I’m closer to Leigh and Salford) as well as Wire FM, which is clear we have no issues receiving Wish FM and City2/GHR on FM, nor do we have issues in receiving FM stations from Stockport or Tameside, in that sense then certainly there’s a possibility that Wish and Wire can be receivable in parts of Manchester.

Wire FM just about reaches the fringes of South West Manchester (Eccles/Stretford/Urmston area) but doesn't get much further.

Tower FM on 107.4 is Bauer's best hope of GHR FM coverage in Machester. Coverage is good in west Manchester but doesn't reach the full city.
RW
Robert Williams Founding member

I think it might be the most abysmal radio station logo I've seen - what were they thinking, having a different perspective on the 'H' compared to the 'G' and the 'R'? It makes the whole thing just look plain wrong. In fact it looks like a pretend logo designed for a fictional radio station on a television show - cheap and amateurish. The Hits Radio logo is not much better.
scottishtv and DJ Dave gave kudos
LL
London Lite Founding member
From a logo design POV, both Hits and Greatest Hits have abysmal logos. Neither give the listener or advertiser about what the brand stands for.

Global's Gold Radio has a clear designed logo which does all of the above.
DJ
DJ Dave

Looks better, I'm not saying it's great, but like London Lite said "Smooths" logo is all smooth and heart well it's a heart.
AndrewPSSP, Josh and BBI45 gave kudos
LL
London Lite Founding member

Looks better, I'm not saying it's great, but like London Lite said "Smooths" logo is all smooth and heart well it's a heart.

I'm not a fan of the 'YOUR' heritage station logos either. But still better than Hits and GHR.
GM
Gary McEwan
I wonder how long it will take Bauer to rename all the Bauer Scotland stations.
WH
Whataday Founding member

I think it might be the most abysmal radio station logo I've seen - what were they thinking, having a different perspective on the 'H' compared to the 'G' and the 'R'? It makes the whole thing just look plain wrong. In fact it looks like a pretend logo designed for a fictional radio station on a television show - cheap and amateurish. The Hits Radio logo is not much better.

Each to their own but I like it. I find it very striking and it's refreshing to have something graphical which isn't just plain text. The perspective is different on all 3 letters which is clearly part of the design and I don't think it looks wrong at all.
IS
Inspector Sands
I quite like it too. Stands out well and animates well in their website.

I've been a bit of a fan of GHR too, as a format it's something that none of the other networks do - big hits from the past. I'm too old for Hits or Capital, find Heart too bland and female orientated, Smooth and Magic too slow, not a fan of the 60s so Gold's not for me.

The biggest problem it has is its breakfast show, he's a decent enough DJ and apparently popular in Liverpool but it just seems a bit poor. It's not good enough to replace all the local stations shows in a few months. With all the big names the station has I can see it changing before the roll out - possibly Andy Crane at breakfast?

I'm glad they've kept Pirate, I think that would have caused the most fuss if that had gone. It's a very popular station in a market with only Heart as competition. Last time I heard it (a few years ago, long before the takeover) its music policy didn't seem that far from what GHR does - lots of classic oldies especially in the afternoons. I wonder if it'll essentially be a GHR format just with local presentation
MA
Markymark
Jon posted:
In a way, the fact there is little commercial competition makes it more surprising they survived. As these stations can more or less what they like and there is no where to lose listeners too.

Well that's true, but everyone (within the anorak community) sneers at Lincs FM. Fact is the station is popular, and turns a good profit, so if it ain't broke.........
CO
commseng
I have never worked out why Lincs gets such a pasting on certain forums.
When I have heard it it sounds fine and obviously appeals to the local area well.
Not every station has to sound the same - although the commercial radio industry is slowly moving down that road.

Newer posts