TV Home Forum

TV Guide of the Future

Which channels do you think will still be around in 2040? (May 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MK
Mr Kite
TV has more competition from other types of home entertainment (video games, internet etc) than it once did. The only way you can argue the pie is larger is that the population has increased over that time. But I don't think this has been been enough to offset the difference.

Younger people are more likely to play video games and spend time watching cat videos on the internet than older people. I don't see people changing much as they age in this respect. I remember when video games were essentially considered toys for kids. But those kids grew up and largely still play video games.
CH
chris
I remember when video games were essentially considered toys for kids. But those kids grew up and largely still play video games.

Where’s the evidence that they “largely” still play video games? Sure, some do, but I wouldn’t say that’s anywhere near a majority.
MK
Mr Kite
What are you talking about? Video games are a multibillion dollar industry these days that caters for adults as much as for children. Go find your own evidence.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
chris posted:
I remember when video games were essentially considered toys for kids. But those kids grew up and largely still play video games.

Where’s the evidence that they “largely” still play video games? Sure, some do, but I wouldn’t say that’s anywhere near a majority.

Remember that these days video games is not exclusively confined to sitting in front of a TV with an X-Box or PS4 in front of it, or even a desktop PC. Anything with an internet connection can be gamed on, including your mobile phone. Technically Candy Crush is a video game.
BR
Brekkie
I'm not a gamer so this may be possible on the consoles but obviously one of the things with gaming is players being able to talk to each other whilst playing, but that's something I've not seen come across to the streaming market. I know Facebook has "Watch Parties" but AFAIK you can only comment through message on that.

Now obviously if I was watching something I enjoyed with other people virtually I'd do the same as in reality and if they tried to speak to me I'd tell them to shut up, but just wondering if that sort of thing is out there. I'd have thought we'd have heard more about it in recent weeks if it was.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Video gaming has been a thing since the 1970s and the days of the plug-in consoles. You didn't need to be able to talk to anybody else for the experience to be seen as playing a video game. That's only a relative recent thing, being able to converse with others while you go round shooting the crap out of anything that moves.

Some of the greatest and most influential video games over the years were totally standalone.
BA
bilky asko
I'm not a gamer so this may be possible on the consoles but obviously one of the things with gaming is players being able to talk to each other whilst playing, but that's something I've not seen come across to the streaming market. I know Facebook has "Watch Parties" but AFAIK you can only comment through message on that.

Now obviously if I was watching something I enjoyed with other people virtually I'd do the same as in reality and if they tried to speak to me I'd tell them to shut up, but just wondering if that sort of thing is out there. I'd have thought we'd have heard more about it in recent weeks if it was.

Kast may be the sort of thing you're thinking of?
BR
Brekkie
Yes, looks like it.
PH
Philheybrookbay
I have a sneaky feeling, Channel 4 may survive but not in the way we've had.till now. If its heading towards a northern base, could it become a more regional based output?

Channel 5 could be the one main channel which I think will go in the next 10 years.
TR
trivialmatters
I think the future of linear television is big events, possibly "premieres" and rolling "chat" television, which others are calling "wallpaper".

I'm sure BBC One and ITV will continue to exist, and perhaps even the BBC News Channel (if the BBC itself exists...)

I think ITV's current model is quite close to the mark really: daytime is "cheap" studio discussion programming, which is fresh and lively and nice "company" / wallpaper, and then "event TV" in the evenings (sometimes).

Otherwise, perhaps linear streams will just be things like CNN, while other things (such as football) appear on "pop up live streams".
NL
Ne1L C
One theory is that BBC 1 and News be merged into a new station (I'll call it BBC Prime) where Salford and London share presentation and news duties until 7PM when the likes of Eastenders take over until say midnight when either the station closes or takes a simulacast of BBC World.

Just a suggestion.
AM
Alfie Mulcahy
One theory is that BBC 1 and News be merged into a new station (I'll call it BBC Prime) where Salford and London share presentation and news duties until 7PM when the likes of Eastenders take over until say midnight when either the station closes or takes a simulacast of BBC World.

Just a suggestion.

I can see this happening

Newer posts