TV Home Forum

Challenge - June 2016 onwards

#ChallengeAccepted

JO
Johnr
Crikey, Barrymore looks to have aged around 100 years in that clip! He certainly scrubs up well for TV as he certainly looked a lot younger during his (albeit brief) appearance on Dancing On Ice!
JA
james-2001 Central (East) East Midlands Today
Also worth pointing out the original US version of Catchphrase ran around the same time as Strike It Rich, the UK versions of both began around the same time, both flopped in the US and ended after one season whereas both become very long running successes in the UK.
JO
Jon Central (West) Midlands Today
Although unlike Strike it Rich/Lucky, Catchphrase has had some success in other countries.

I think some formats are good enough regardless of the host like Millionaire. Others are successful because of the host The Weakest Link and Deal or No Deal for example have had mixed success in other countries with many territories where it hasn’t lasted. That said I don’t think any format has come close to Millionaire in terms of near universal success. The only major nation Millionaire didn’t seem to take off is China, and I think there is political and cultural reasons why there.
Last edited by Jon on 26 May 2020 2:46pm
JO
Jonwo (previously Jonwo87)
Jon posted:
Although unlike Strike it Rich/Lucky, Catchphrase has had some success in other countries.

I think some formats are good enough regardless of the host like Millionaire. Others are successful because of the host The Weakest Link and Deal or No Deal for example have had mixed success in other countries with many territories where it hasn’t lasted. That said I don’t think any format has come close to Millionaire in terms of near universal success.

The problem with The Weakest Link internationally is that the hosts tended to be copying Anne’s mean persona.

In regard to Deal or No Deal, I wonder if the Australian or US version of the show would have worked in the UK.
JO
Jonwo posted:
The problem with The Weakest Link internationally is that the hosts tended to be In regard to Deal or No Deal, I wonder if the Australian or US version of the show would have worked in the UK.

Probably to an extent, but in both of those nations it never lasted as long as it did here. Admittedly our version probably ran for 3 or 4 years after it was doing the business in terms of ratings. But a lot of the success was down to how Edmonds held the show together and built the drama.
JO
Jonwo (previously Jonwo87)
Jon posted:
Jonwo posted:
The problem with The Weakest Link internationally is that the hosts tended to be In regard to Deal or No Deal, I wonder if the Australian or US version of the show would have worked in the UK.

Probably to an extent, but in both of those nations it never lasted as long as it did here. Admittedly our version probably ran for 3 or 4 years after it was doing the business in terms of ratings. But a lot of the success was down to how Edmonds held the show together and built the drama.

I remember seeing the Australian version when I was on holiday in Melbourne 12 years ago and it was much faster in terms of pacing compared to the UK version.
AS
AS 21 West Country (West) Spotlight
Forgot to mention this but on Saturday’s showing of Blankety Blank at 5pm, Challenge pulled the programme off after half an hour without warning, and instead played 10 minutes of adverts. Didn’t even finish the episode!
JB
JasonB London London
AS 21 posted:
Forgot to mention this but on Saturday’s showing of Blankety Blank at 5pm, Challenge pulled the programme off after half an hour without warning, and instead played 10 minutes of adverts. Didn’t even finish the episode!

Was there a now disgraced celebrity part of the panel or was there a reference of one and they forgot about it?
Have you washed your hands?
JA
james-2001 Central (East) East Midlands Today
Jonwo posted:
I remember seeing the Australian version when I was on holiday in Melbourne 12 years ago and it was much faster in terms of pacing compared to the UK version.

The UK version was far too dragged out. Especially after they extended it to an hour. It was bad enough at 45 minutes, with all the sob stories, chanting, banging on tables, lengthy explanations for why they chose a particular box etc. 60 minutes just made it even worse.
DW
DavidWhitfield Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
Couldn't agree more with this. I used to quite like watching it on the whole but I did used to think 'they could do this in half the time' when it began in 2005 at 45 minutes in length. I couldn't believe it when I saw they'd made it yet longer a short while later.

Interestingly, in 2014, Germany revamped their version of the show and brought in a Who Wants To Be A Millionaire style system of play, meaning once they got through one person's game, they simply brought the next player out and so on until the programme ended and the player in the chair rolled over to next time.

Here's a link to an episode where two players' games take place within forty minutes.

Last edited by DavidWhitfield on 26 May 2020 5:26pm - 2 times in total
Guess who's big in the back time!
JJ
Juicy Joe Founding member Central (West) Midlands Today
AS 21 posted:

A trivial issue but I thought I'd flag it up.
Challenge showed the final episode of Blankety Blank Series 1 tonight, but missed the final 10 minutes of the game after going to a break - instead broadcasting trailers for Sky programmes, a movie Top 10 review and adverts?? The continuity announcer, presumably pre-recorded, interrupted halfway through the initial episode to announce the next programme and a graphic came up to illustrate this also. They then immediately went to the 1st episode of Series 4?

Not important of course, but I assume this was a transmission or playout error rather than something which was controversial and unable to be broadcast in the final few minutes of the programme, which is unlikely given the context of the show.

I heard a similar thing happened with Strike it Lucky recently.

Yes, I mentioned this at the weekend. It must have been such a trivial issue, no-one bothered to discuss it Laughing .
JO
Jonwo posted:

The UK version was far too dragged out. Especially after they extended it to an hour. It was bad enough at 45 minutes, with all the sob stories, chanting, banging on tables, lengthy explanations for why they chose a particular box etc. 60 minutes just made it even worse.

I agree it should probably have never gone to 1 hour. However it wouldn’t have really worked as well over 30 mins as then it really would have been ‘people just opening boxes’ which is the main complaint of people who don’t really understand the format. The whole point of the format is watching people make life changing decisions and making calculations as to the right to time to quit. Of course it all helps if the viewer is invested in the player which is what the 45 minute slot allows. What Noel does is just theatre to add tension to the show.

Newer posts