TV Home Forum

Eurovision 2021 - Netherlands - NPO/AVROTROS/NOS

Ahoy Arena - Rotterdam - 18/20/22 May 2021 (May 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DW
DavidWhitfield
Yes, at least Jemini's track had a somewhat catchy chorus, unlike some of our recent drabber entries, like the ironically titled That Sounds Good To Me in 2010.
IT
IndigoTucker
There’s at least two studio versions of Every Way that I can. I downloaded an impressive one Back in the day, but updating my albums now and there’s a thin, weedy version appeared.
FL
Flux
Yes, at least Jemini's track had a somewhat catchy chorus, unlike some of our recent drabber entries, like the ironically titled That Sounds Good To Me in 2010.

It’s obviously the performance which killed Jemini though. They wouldn’t have done brilliantly even with the best performance, but they’re obviously singing at a different pitch to the instrumental track, and it sounds awful - even to the most tone deaf viewer.
DV
dvboy
Their dress rehearsal performance wasn't much better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8kLJ-kMDrQ
FL
Flux
dvboy posted:
Their dress rehearsal performance wasn't much better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8kLJ-kMDrQ

They’re at least in the right key there, just slightly pitchy. It’s not the cleanest track pitch-wise, but if you compare it to the recorded song she comes in a good semi tone higher than she should in the actual performance and they all (backing singers inckuded) never come back to the backing track’s key. They’re not just singing some bum notes - they’re actually singing the whole song in the wrong key, so there’s a constant clash. It’s painful.

At the time I remember the claims we didn’t get any points due to politics, but you can’t exoect anyone to vote for a song performed *that* badly.
NG
noggin Founding member
Flux posted:
dvboy posted:

They’re at least in the right key there, just slightly pitchy. It’s not the cleanest track pitch-wise, but if you compare it to the recorded song she comes in a good semi tone higher than she should in the actual performance and they all (backing singers inckuded) never come back to the backing track’s key. They’re not just singing some bum notes - they’re actually singing the whole song in the wrong key, so there’s a constant clash. It’s painful.

At the time I remember the claims we didn’t get any points due to politics, but you can’t exoect anyone to vote for a song performed *that* badly.

They also repeatedly blamed 'the monitors' (i.e. the foldback wedges - or in-ears if they had them - which I don't think they did)
GO
gottago
dvboy posted:

I haven't watched that in a while and had forgotten how they basically run out of song at 2:30 and then, just as you think it will (and want it to) end they carry on with another 30 seconds of essentially nothingness just to drag it to that magic three minutes.

Still, give me that any day over Josh and Electro Velvet.
GO
gottago
Does anyone know what the thinking was behind playing the phone recap back to front (i.e. from song 26 to 1)? I remember them doing it a few years, possibly including some semi-final years. I can't really see what the benefit was meant to be.
SI
sigma421
Does anyone know what the thinking was behind playing the phone recap back to front (i.e. from song 26 to 1)? I remember them doing it a few years, possibly including some semi-final years. I can't really see what the benefit was meant to be.

I imagine it's an attempt to give more prominence to the songs early in the running order - the thinking being that last (i.e. at the end of the decision-making process) is more prominent.
DW
DavidWhitfield
Was it not in a bid to stop the unconscious bias of having the last few you've seen fresher in your mind than the ones who performed first and an attempt to keep things fair by 'undoing this bias' in the reverse order roundup to ensure everyone has the fairest possible chance irrespective of performing position? I would assume this was the thinking.
NG
noggin Founding member
The reverse recap was to also help address the earlier songs not being seen as widely - as audiences ramp up during the show. By showing the recap in reverse order you benefit the songs that come later in the recap (and were earlier in the show and seen by fewer)
BR
Brekkie
I suspect in reality though people watch the first few songs of the recap then realise it's got another 5 minutes to go so decide it's time to pop to the loo and grab another drink.

I'm sure the stats are easily available if I bothered looking but I'm guessing most winners have come from the second half of the show in recent years, though not helped by the order now being determined by production rather than truly random. I wonder if songs which have performed well in the semi-finals have generally found themselves rewarded with a better place in the running order for the final.

Newer posts