Mass Media & Technology

Disney+ UK Launch Date Confirmed

(November 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
james-2001
I'm guessing there'll be some sort of update to the Disney+ apps and website to allow switching between the 4:3 and 16:9 versions of The Simpsons? Otherwise they'll have to have each version listed separately which could be confusing.

I'm hoping they'll upload the 4:3 versions of the other shows they only have in cropped 16:9 too at the same time, but I won't get my hopes up there.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Why would they need it to switch?
Last time I saw something 4:3 on Disney+, it was pillarboxed. Don't see why they couldn't pillarbox 4:3 Simpsons, okay its not ideal for non widescreen TVs but they must be in the absolute minority by now?
PF
PFML84
If you're able to watch Disney+, I'd say it's almost a certainty you aren't watching it on a 4:3 TV.
JA
james-2001
Why would they need it to switch?

Because they're most likely going to have both the 4:3 SD and cropped 16:9 pseudo-HD versions up there, like the previous Simpsons streaming service in the US did.
AS
Asa Admin
And hopefully with the switch saved so you don’t need to set it each time. Or at the very least remembered between episodes as it auto plays.

I’ll be interested to see how they do it.
AndrewPSSP, UKnews and james-2001 gave kudos
UK
UKnews
Asa posted:
And hopefully with the switch saved so you don’t need to set it each time. Or at the very least remembered between episodes as it auto plays.

I’ll be interested to see how they do it.

When they were available in the US through 'Simpsons World' in FXX app I think it was an option you could change in the settings. I don't think it had to be chosen each time.
JA
james-2001
I've noticed an "app settings" option has appeared which wasn't there before (both through web and Roku, can't speak for other platforms). Not sure when it appeared, but it wasn't there a couple of weeks ago. Only has options for streaming quality right now (three options- Automatic/4K, Moderate/HD and "save data"/SD), but I presume that's where the 4:3/16:9 toggle will be if there's going to be one.
Last edited by james-2001 on 28 May 2020 1:46am
DV
DVB Cornwall
The three option streaming quality setting was introduced around three weeks ago on the AppleTV app.
AS
Asa Admin
It's turned up as a toggle under the Details tab so that's good, was defaulted to the "Remastered aspect ratio". Persists across devices too. My binge can begin!

Slightly strange on the iPad where it's postage stamped, but in picture-in-picture mode it's fine (pillarboxed as expected).
bilky asko and UKnews gave kudos
GE
thegeek Founding member
Asa posted:
It's turned up as a toggle under the Details tab so that's good, was defaulted to the "Remastered aspect ratio".

Strangely I'm not seeing those options on my Android phone. Latest version of the app too...
LL
London Lite Founding member
Asa posted:
It's turned up as a toggle under the Details tab so that's good, was defaulted to the "Remastered aspect ratio".

Strangely I'm not seeing those options on my Android phone. Latest version of the app too...

It's there on my Android handset, using Android 10.
JA
james-2001
It appears through both the web browser and Roku here.

Last edited by james-2001 on 28 May 2020 8:30pm

Newer posts