TV Home Forum

TV Breakdown Appreciation Thread

We'll return as soon as possible. (April 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
Markymark
and an unbranded IVC studio a lot of the time iirc

They only really had very light branding in the IVC studio for their first couple of years. Southern only ever had IVC branding on their last ever evening I think
BL
bluecortina
and an unbranded IVC studio a lot of the time iirc

They only really had very light branding in the IVC studio for their first couple of years. Southern only ever had IVC branding on their last ever evening I think

Southern had ‘branding’ behind the continuity announcer during their 21st anniversary. Whether it was for a day, a couple of days or a week I can’t remember after all this time.
RK
Rkolsen
I know that CBS use Evertz ATP gateways at the DC facility, one of those could have failed in theory.

In theory yes. It's not really 'cricket' to publicly name individual manufacturers for high profile failures, particularly making mention of them in the preface to a You Tube clip, and particularly if posted using your real name! In my experience, there is often no single cause, and/or the problem is excasabated by facility staff not fully understanding how to implement a work around. The broadcast engineering community is a small one, and there's awful lot of flow of staff and contractors between companies. Don't 'dis' others products or work, you might find yourself working for them or with them one day.

I didn’t intend that. I was going by what was said in this Facebook Group. You can see a post I started and one that’s now hidden but the comments remain. The latter specified the failure but I assume thought differently (even though it was up several days). I spoke with a CBS New York (Network) technician and a producer on the show that I am friends with.

Do you think, I should re-edit and upload a new video?
MA
Markymark
I know that CBS use Evertz ATP gateways at the DC facility, one of those could have failed in theory.

In theory yes. It's not really 'cricket' to publicly name individual manufacturers for high profile failures, particularly making mention of them in the preface to a You Tube clip, and particularly if posted using your real name! In my experience, there is often no single cause, and/or the problem is excasabated by facility staff not fully understanding how to implement a work around. The broadcast engineering community is a small one, and there's awful lot of flow of staff and contractors between companies. Don't 'dis' others products or work, you might find yourself working for them or with them one day.

I didn’t intend that. I was going by what was said in this Facebook Group. You can see a post I started and one that’s now hidden but the comments remain. The latter specified the failure but I assume thought differently (even though it was up several days). I spoke with a CBS New York (Network) technician and a producer on the show that I am friends with.

It's up to you. As has been pointed out by myself and others failures are often a result of mulitiple factors, and no single 'simple' reason. It's not terribly professional to name names, regardless of the information source, in the public domain. There's plenty of robust discussion that occurs between the affected parties privately after these sort of failures, and that's the appropriate domain.
RK
Rkolsen

It's up to you. As has been pointed out by myself and others failures are often a result of mulitiple factors, and no single 'simple' reason. It's not terribly professional to name names, regardless of the information source, in the public domain. There's plenty of robust discussion that occurs between the affected parties privately after these sort of failures, and that's the appropriate domain.

Okay, I updated it. I named names because I figure it was public and secondly I was not going to go into the business - partly the reason why I'm fine with my name being used.

IS
Inspector Sands
One here from 'Channel 3 North East' when Blind Date drops off air. With bonus announcer cock up
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 29 May 2020 6:54am
AN
Andrew Founding member
They took their time there didn't they, almost a minute of black
LL
Larry the Loafer
They took their time there didn't they, almost a minute of black

They were supposed to be showing Black Wink

11 days later

NW
nwtv2003
Here’s one that’s been uploaded today, Thames not being able to show a Party Political Broadcast for the Tories back in 1987, cue Philip Elsmore in a panic reading out all of the programmes for that night and tomorrow.

MA
Markymark
Here’s one that’s been uploaded today, Thames not being able to show a Party Political Broadcast for the Tories back in 1987, cue Philip Elsmore in a panic reading out all of the programmes for that night and tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EF-9BAvLPI

Wasn't this the one we discussed a few years ago, after someone posted a clip from YTV of the event. Something to do with the playout VTR being accidentally assigned to an edit suite?
LL
Larry the Loafer
Fascinating to see Thames handle it compared to the Yorkshire feed that resides on TV Ark.
WH
Whataday Founding member
One here from 'Channel 3 North East' when Blind Date drops off air. With bonus announcer cock up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVmyRoNzhow

Would that have gone out on Yorkshire too?

Newer posts