The Newsroom

BBC News nostalgia, including BBC World

Split from BBC News: Presenters, correspondent & rotas (April 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JK
JKDerry
There’s a big BBC News anniversary today, folks......here’s Carol Barnes and Michael Buerk to explain:

That ain’t Michael Burke reporting.

No, it’s not Michael Buerk in the ITN report. But it’s Michael Buerk in the next tweet in the thread, is what I was referring to. Sorry for the confusion.

It was most certainly Glen Oglaza
RN
Rolling News
There’s a big BBC News anniversary today, folks......here’s Carol Barnes and Michael Buerk to explain:

No, it’s not Michael Buerk in the ITN report. But it’s Michael Buerk in the next tweet in the thread, is what I was referring to. Sorry for the confusion.

Extraordinary how much he sounds like Buerk.
JW
JamesWorldNews

It was most certainly Glen Oglaza

To again clarify: it was probably Glen Oglaza in the ITN report introduced by Carol Barnes. I’m not disputing that.

Michael Buerk’s appearance was in the next tweet in the thread I posted above, following the Carol Barnes tweet. For clarity, here it is:

JL
JamesLaverty1925
Does anyone remember the brief period in 2008, just before News 24 became BBC News, when the One and Weekend bulletins were presented from the News 24 set? Always seemed weird, I'm guessing it was because they'd started refurbishing a studio ready for the coming revamp
JW
JamesWorldNews
Moira Stuart:

- BBC1 on strike, so the news is on BBC2;

- Announces the licence approval for a new airline, Virgin Atlantic Airways;

- Moira wears a jacket.

RN
Rolling News
Does anyone remember the brief period in 2008, just before News 24 became BBC News, when the One and Weekend bulletins were presented from the News 24 set? Always seemed weird, I'm guessing it was because they'd started refurbishing a studio ready for the coming revamp

Yes, it was for 2 months in early 2008 when N6 was out of action completely whilst it was being transformed for the News (24) channel to come from 7 Days a week. As you say, the One and weekend bulletins came from the N24 set, and the Six & Ten came from TC7. It was also the start of when the News (24) channel presenter had to move to another part of the studio so the network presenter could sit at the desk (at weekend).
RN
Rolling News
Moira Stuart:

- BBC1 on strike, so the news is on BBC2;

- Announces the licence approval for a new airline, Virgin Atlantic Airways;

- Moira wears a jacket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3A_625JHwo

One of the great things about Moira is how she has never aged. She still looks the same now apart from the hair. 💇
AL
ALV
Has this theme ever been used again?

https://youtu.be/li9GtpQi3zA

I don't think so, but the jungles sound very similar to the NC's "Your Questions Answered" / old Newsroom Live theme - as if its part of the theme...
CM
cmthwtv
ALV posted:
Has this theme ever been used again?

https://youtu.be/li9GtpQi3zA

I don't think so, but the jungles sound very similar to the NC's "Your Questions Answered" / old Newsroom Live theme - as if its part of the theme...

I deleted the post because I thought that - but now listening to the 2017 one it sounds like an afternoon live/old newsroom live mix...

https://youtu.be/wy6yixqK54w
EX
excel99

Yes, it was for 2 months in early 2008 when N6 was out of action completely whilst it was being transformed for the News (24) channel to come from 7 Days a week. As you say, the One and weekend bulletins came from the N24 set, and the Six & Ten came from TC7. It was also the start of when the News (24) channel presenter had to move to another part of the studio so the network presenter could sit at the desk (at weekend).

Didn't that start earlier, at least on Saturday lunchtimes? I have memories of Tim Willcox being replaced by Darren Jordan for 10 minutes but both being in the same set
RN
Rolling News

Didn't that start earlier, at least on Saturday lunchtimes? I have memories of Tim Willcox being replaced by Darren Jordan for 10 minutes but both being in the same set

Yes, the lunchtime bulletin at weekends started coming from N8 in about 2006. Initially it was Darren Jordon but then after a while started using the duty News 24 presenter, usually Tim or Maxine Mawhinney. Evenings and lates started coming from there in early 2008, which has always had a separate presenter.
CM
cmthwtv
May I ask how weekends previously worked? (I am only in my 20s and fairly new to the whole TV Presentation thing)

My understanding is that lunch, evening and late were all one post 2002 and before that Buerk/Sissons shared the weekend bulletins.

Newer posts