TV Home Forum

CBBC Channel

New logo for 2016 - out with the green (September 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
HD
HybridDaDink
Both CITV and CBBC should expand their age demographic. What happened to shows that target 13-16, even up to 18, like Children's Ward, Byker Grove, Dramarama, Grange Hill and Britannia High?
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Both CITV and CBBC should expand their age demographic. What happened to shows that target 13-16, even up to 18, like Children's Ward, Byker Grove, Dramarama, Grange Hill and Britannia High?

https://knightmare.com/home/history?start=3 posted:
Dawn [Airey]’s scheduling background ... would place the emphasis [on what to commission] on research-led decisions, and although Dawn was an admirer of Knightmare, and deemed it a quality childrens’ programme, current research into the demography of children's viewing, painted a dismal picture.

In 1985, when I [Tim Child] devised Knightmare, current demography (breakdown by age and other factors) of childrens’ ITV viewing spread from 6-15. By 1994 (the last year of the Dungeon), it was predicted to be 6-10. Older children and of course, adolescents and adults could watch, but their viewing figure contributions were regarded as insignificant (even ignored).

Dawn believed (as did Anna Home at the BBC), that the games-playing audience (9 upwards) was migrating from TV to video games or niche market satellite, and that their departure represented a battle already lost. Thought-provoking interactive products like Knightmare might well win awards, but could not reverse that trend.
TV
iloveTV1
Josh posted:
If I recall correctly, the new adaptation of The Demon Headmaster series is based on the Total Control book from 2017. I haven't read the book, but I presume it's faithful.

The most recent teenager services I can remember are BBC Switch and Shake! on Channel 5 (partnered with Disney and Nickelodeon in the later stages of their output), but they were in the later stages of the 00's/early 10's so it has been a while.

I think I may have read that book at one point and it is completely different. The story would have to change slightly as it would be hard to adapt a 190 page book into 10 episodes of a show without adding anything. The whole thing about Dinah returning doesn’t seem like something that would be in the book, which always seemed to be (at least the reboot ones) aimed at younger kids.
JA
JAS84

https://knightmare.com/home/history?start=3 posted:
Dawn [Airey]’s scheduling background ... would place the emphasis [on what to commission] on research-led decisions, and although Dawn was an admirer of Knightmare, and deemed it a quality childrens’ programme, current research into the demography of children's viewing, painted a dismal picture.

In 1985, when I [Tim Child] devised Knightmare, current demography (breakdown by age and other factors) of childrens’ ITV viewing spread from 6-15. By 1994 (the last year of the Dungeon), it was predicted to be 6-10. Older children and of course, adolescents and adults could watch, but their viewing figure contributions were regarded as insignificant (even ignored).

Dawn believed (as did Anna Home at the BBC), that the games-playing audience (9 upwards) was migrating from TV to video games or niche market satellite, and that their departure represented a battle already lost. Thought-provoking interactive products like Knightmare might well win awards, but could not reverse that trend.
That's a self fulfilling prophecy.
NJ
Josh posted:
If I recall correctly, the new adaptation of The Demon Headmaster series is based on the Total Control book from 2017. I haven't read the book, but I presume it's faithful.

The most recent teenager services I can remember are BBC Switch and Shake! on Channel 5 (partnered with Disney and Nickelodeon in the later stages of their output), but they were in the later stages of the 00's/early 10's so it has been a while.

I think I may have read that book at one point and it is completely different. The story would have to change slightly as it would be hard to adapt a 190 page book into 10 episodes of a show without adding anything. The whole thing about Dinah returning doesn’t seem like something that would be in the book, which always seemed to be (at least the reboot ones) aimed at younger kids.

This opens up the argument about whether the book will be better than the TV show/movie it was based on.
The answer is almost always that the book is better.

No end of examples of a film adaptation of a famous book that either completely misses the point, or takes liberties or makes changes for various reasons (Enders Game is a good example of this, there are certain scenes in the book that were never going to be in the film (which were also part of the reason why the characters were much older than they were in the book) and also Ender repeats his training multiple times over, getting better and better as he goes, to get geared up for the final session, which doesn't happen in the film. That sort of stuff is usually the first to go when the screenplays get written).

TV wise, well Demon Headmaster's first series used the first two books, the second used the fourth book and the third used the fifth book. Great as the first TV series was, ir was never going to be a patch on the books. You get all the character development and the back story and everything else, its usually a more fulfilling experience, whereas a TV series has to effectively introduce a bunch of characters very quickly and then get on with it.
SJ
sjames
Josh posted:

Yes, the first 5 episodes of the recent series adapts the majority of the Total Control book and is pretty faithful, but then the series got extended whilst being written, so the second half is completely original but obviously links back to the original TV series. Shame they couldn't get the original actress to return to play Dinah though. The last episode obviously resolves the Total Control plotlines as well as the rest of the story.

There is the 2nd reboot book Mortal Control released last year, which presumably another series could adapt if it gets made. However, there are also Revenge of the Demon Headmaster (the Hunky Parker one), and Facing the Demon Headmaster books that have never been adapted, which I'm sure with a bit of re-writing could use the new characters if needed.
NJ
The entire Hunky Parker thing was one of the most surreal concepts I've ever read, and a bit of a sore thumb to the rest of the (original) series. It basically boils down to attempting to incite mass riot through subliminal messaging. I struggled to see at the time how it could work on TV in a live format. Perhaps some things are best left to folded sheets of A4.
TV
iloveTV1
Josh posted:

Yes, the first 5 episodes of the recent series adapts the majority of the Total Control book and is pretty faithful, but then the series got extended whilst being written, so the second half is completely original but obviously links back to the original TV series. Shame they couldn't get the original actress to return to play Dinah though. The last episode obviously resolves the Total Control plotlines as well as the rest of the story.

There is the 2nd reboot book Mortal Control released last year, which presumably another series could adapt if it gets made. However, there are also Revenge of the Demon Headmaster (the Hunky Parker one), and Facing the Demon Headmaster books that have never been adapted, which I'm sure with a bit of re-writing could use the new characters if needed.

I remember in December that the BBC were considering a second series. It now appears that it may not be happening as none of the cast mentioned a recommission. I doubt there are going to be many CBBC shows filming this summer, so the next year will be filled with a lot of repeats.
MU
Multi

I remember in December that the BBC were considering a second series. It now appears that it may not be happening as none of the cast mentioned a recommission. I doubt there are going to be many CBBC shows filming this summer, so the next year will be filled with a lot of repeats.

My friend works for CBBC and an email was supposedly sent around giving details of which programmes were still going ahead and being filmed from September/October. My friend was glad as it gave them a bit of reassurance as to what their next job will be!

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned yet (despite being commissioned) is a new 3 part drama with a mid 2000s CBBC legend.
TV
iloveTV1
Multi posted:

My friend works for CBBC and an email was supposedly sent around giving details of which programmes were still going ahead and being filmed from September/October. My friend was glad as it gave them a bit of reassurance as to what their next job will be!

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned yet (despite being commissioned) is a new 3 part drama with a mid 2000s CBBC legend.

dont suppose you could share any of those details?
MU
Multi
Don’t know anything other than the programme I alluded to I’m afraid, though it doesn’t take a genius to think about which children’s drama defines that era of CBBC.
DJ
DJ Dave
Tracy Beaker?

Newer posts