The Sport Thread

For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own

DV
DVB Cornwall West Country (West) Spotlight
La Liga's return has been confirmed ...

FO
FanOfTV99 Granada North West Today
It seems that the FA Cup final is still on

The guy has actually uploaded the FA Cup final and he actually did well. He made the whole thing look like an FA Cup final day on the BBC.

Stay Safe.

You'll Never Walk Alone
paul_hadley and DeMarkay gave kudos
HC
Hatton Cross Central (West) Midlands Today
I admire his work on this, but
Trevor really needs to go back and watch opening titles of Grandstand. Because there were no long bursts of commentary. Minor sfx and crowd noises every now and then in its dying and unloved years, yes - but not the the drowning out of the Keith Mansfield library music classic as he has done.
Readers are warned that this post contains some flash photography
MI
Michael
Trevor really needs to go back and watch opening titles of Grandstand. Because there were no long bursts of commentary. Minor sfx and crowd noises every now and then in its dying and unloved years, yes - but not the the drowning out of the Keith Mansfield library music classic as he has done.

Rolling Eyes
bilky asko and Brekkie gave kudos
WI
william Founding member
In recent weeks, France Télévisions have been replaying their sports archive online (Tour de France etc, Olympics etc.) Most of it's been fairly new (i.e. within the last few years), but Roland Garros was meant to start today and they're showing the men's final from 1983 (a clean feed of the match, sans commentaire ). So if you want to see some really ancient presentation in 4:3 with a vision mixer that can only do old style wipes and freeze frames, and the score occasionally shown in a fixed font…

The commentary position was open air behind a bit of plexiglass (which ironically might be the safest option in present times…) Occasionally there are slow motion replays, but no fancy animations etc.

Also at the start of the broadcast, they spent a couple of minutes focusing on every camera operator on the court, captioned with the camera number and their name. How long did that habit last for?

Article from France TV sport (en français)

(photo France TV / AFP)

In other news, centre court now has a roof - I don't think the stadium is fully finished yet, but it was safe enough for France 2 to broadcast from last night. The latest rumour is they want to go ahead in Sep/Oct with or without the public.
DV
dvboy Central (West) Midlands Today
The tournament itself is putting some full matches on YouTube starting today (the only grand slam which didn't already have full matches on YouTube)

Of course Eurosport is showing a lot of Roland-Garros archive content. Over the next two weeks it will show matches chosen by viewers, the results of online polls on 14 different themes.
Hello, good evening, and remain indoors.
VA
valley
Interesting article about the Bundesliga's re-start from a more technical perspective. https://www.svgeurope.org/blog/headlines/bundesliga-re-start-how-host-broadcaster-sportcast-captured-the-live-action-on-matchday-26/
ET
ethanh05 Wales Wales Today

Can we see your title sequence?
ET
ethanh05 Wales Wales Today
On a side note, the Polish Ekstraklasa will return next week, with FreeSports starting their coverage with Lech Poznan v Legia Warsaw next Saturday.
https://www.sportbusiness.com/news/ekstraklasa-pens-european-broadcast-deals-ahead-of-restart/
HC
Hatton Cross Central (West) Midlands Today

Can we see your title sequence?

No chance. My computer would blow up if I tried to load a video editing app on it. It sounds like it's about to take off when Teams is running a video call.

My point being, if you are putting in all that time and effort in trying to produce a realistic sim, try and do all aspects of it and getting how the opening titles used to do it, is all part of that.
Readers are warned that this post contains some flash photography
RD
rdd Founding member
For those interested in seeing some old BBC Sport late italic era graphics in action, BBC Two NI is showing highlights of the 1999 European Rugby Cup final (Ulster v Columiers) now.
RD
rdd Founding member
A slightly odd one - “The Match Champions for Charity”, a charity golf match teaming pro golfers Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson with NFL quarterback Tom Brady and retired QB Peyton Manning, is being shown tonight by CNN International of all channels. I know we’ve come to expect the unexpected these days and I’m presuming it’s the Warner connection that has them the rights but it’s an odd one.

Newer posts