The Newsroom

BBC News nostalgia, including BBC World

Split from BBC News: Presenters, correspondent & rotas (April 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
johnnyboy Founding member
I loved the News 24 horn - it was very much a sign to sit up and pay attention and those titles had some bite and urgency. That whole china red and cream era was far superior to those that have followed. I was never a fan of the clamshell look.

Agreed about the clamshell look. I'm surprised that look was ever even considered yet alone developed.

However, and with the greatest respect, how can you like/love the abomination of the 1999-2003 title sequence and music?
JW
JamesWorldNews
The expulsion from Moscow of the BBC’s correspondent, Tim Sebastian.

Jan Leeming and John Simpson showing off the newly revised weekend set for BBC News at the time.

RN
Rolling News
I agree the 2003-2007 look was a bit naff. The stuff that followed in 2007 however is probably my favourite ever look of News 24 in its 23 year history. Such a shame it only lasted 15 months to be replaced by the blandest branding on a news channel ever in a studio which looked as though someone forgot to top up the meter.
IT
itsrobert Founding member
I agree the 2003-2007 look was a bit naff. The stuff that followed in 2007 however is probably my favourite ever look of News 24 in its 23 year history. Such a shame it only lasted 15 months to be replaced by the blandest branding on a news channel ever in a studio which looked as though someone forgot to top up the meter.

We've discussed before how broadcasters finally end up with a fantastic set of branding elements before quickly killing it off and replacing it with something mediocre that lasts for years and years. It's very strange. In the case of the 2007 branding, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the 2008 music wasn't at least in part influenced by a load of old codgers complaining that they can't hear the news for all the thumping music. I bet that's why the music was toned right down in 2008.
harshy and Rolling News gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
I much preferred the clamshell look myself to the Lambie Nairn efforts before and after it, and it was pretty much dumped just as they were beginning to develop it into something which improved on it's original incarnation.
JW
JamesWorldNews
There’s a big BBC News anniversary today, folks......here’s Carol Barnes and Michael Buerk to explain:

AP
AndrewPSSP
This is going to sound tragically sad but this version of the theme tune is my ringing tone on my mobile.

You're not the only one - I too did had it as my ring tone for about 3 weeks last year before all my friends asked (forced) me to remove it.

I hated this opening sequence then and I still hate it with a passion. Does that make me a freak?

I totally agree. I hate the silly noise at the start that sounds like a fire engine flying past...We’re not the freaks here.
I personally quite liked it. Makes it seem much more lively and "exciting" IMO.
JO
johnnyboy Founding member
You're not the only one - I too did had it as my ring tone for about 3 weeks last year before all my friends asked (forced) me to remove it.

You're obviously a man of taste.

I never did understand why they decided to drop this brilliant piece of music and use the different theme tune previously used just for "The World Today" across all bulletins later on instead.
TI
tightrope78
There’s a big BBC News anniversary today, folks......here’s Carol Barnes and Michael Buerk to explain:

That ain’t Michael Burke reporting.
RN
Rolling News
It definitely sounds like Michael Buerk but it isn't him.
SO
Soupnzi
Might be Glen Oglaza
JW
JamesWorldNews

That ain’t Michael Burke reporting.

No, it’s not Michael Buerk in the ITN report. But it’s Michael Buerk in the next tweet in the thread, is what I was referring to. Sorry for the confusion.

Newer posts