TV Home Forum

TV Breakdown Appreciation Thread

We'll return as soon as possible.

MA
Markymark Meridian (Thames Valley) South Today
It wasn't some spurious signal that made it across the North Sea?

And over Norway 😎? (Still possible during a lift)
TE
Technologist London London
But DTT did not have Teletext ever .... and DSAT in the nations did not have Teletext on it ever.... and as PQ was completed after Central Code and mux there was no “extra kit” required
So I’m mystified !
TI
TIGHazard Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
Recently, someone uploaded the Euro 2008 semi-final between Germany and Turkey, and I used the opportunity to clip out the technical breakdowns in the match.

First breakdown

Second breakdown

Switching commentary from 5 Live to BBC 1, almost a third breakdown

Talkback from the studio?

Apology after the match

UK
UKnews
Ah now this is interesting - because that's the BBC HD version, which I'd not seen before.

During the first breakdown BBC 1 viewers were left with the frozen / flashing image for about 90 seconds before an apology caption appeared and the 5 Live commentary was faded up, a good 2-3 minutes before it was heard on BBC HD.

The welcome to BBC 1 viewers was broadcast because someone (cough) phoned the 5 Live studio and told them they were also on BBC 1- they'd noticed the loss of pictures but didn't realise they were on TV as well. Of course just as that was being broadcast the commentary was dipped an apology made by the BBC 1 continuity announcer. Doh!

I think the second breakdown was handled similarly on BBC 1 and BBC HD but I don't think there was the same problem with BBC 1 rejoining the studio in Vienna at the end of the match that was seen on BBC HD.

Given it was power to the IBC in Vienna that was knocked out by the storm - supposedly because the backup generators failed to kick in - the vast majority of countries lost coverage. There were a couple - I think Switzerland was one - who had their own uplink at the game and so didn't loose pictures. I seem to remember there were suggestions at the time that ZDF had rebroadcast their coverage for a while.

The story goes (from an ITV source on Digital Spy at the time) there was an EBU backup available, directly uplinked from the ground. ITV had booked a downlink of this for their highlights coverage- it might also be one of the tournaments where Al Jazeera Sport (as it was) were taking ITVs commentary. So ITV (and by extension Al Jazeera) didn't 't have a major outage, only briefly loosing commentary, which they also had on a backup ISDN. The ITV downlink of that EBU feed was handled by the (outsourced) Sat Ops at TVC, but the BBC hadn't booked that through to BBC 1 playout. The BBC had their main and reserve feeds via the IBC. It was that EBU backup that, apparently, got coverage back on BBC 1 after the second failure. That would explain the period of the match where there clean (except lower thirds) pictures with 5 Live commentary.

5 Live had stayed on air throughout as they were on ISDN dialled into TVC. For more recent major tournaments their coverage has also tended to be on circuits via the IBC.
Last edited by UKnews on 20 May 2020 11:14am - 4 times in total
LE
Lewismpsmith Meridian (South East) South East Today
Start of the second half in the Hertha Berlin match on BT Sport 1, there was "technical problems" going into the commentary so the studio had to fill in for a couple of minutes.
We're in this together. Stay alert.
GE
thegeek Founding member London London
Start of the second half in the Hertha Berlin match on BT Sport 1, there was "technical problems" going into the commentary so the studio had to fill in for a couple of minutes.

Paul Dempsey really needs to be better at booking his Tesco delivery slots.
Lewismpsmith and ethanh05 gave kudos
RK
Rkolsen World News
Already been discussed in the CBS thread but a major breakdown (as they almost never happen) on a network newscast. Apparently the new CBS DC Bureau is all IP and their audio router failed. Here’s what aired in the eastern and central time zones. They were able to make it to air for mountain and pacific time zones where Norah read straight to camera with no graphics and reportedly packages were played out from NYC master control. Because of CBS’s stance on the coronavirus a NY control room (the control room is actually at All Mobile Video across from the broadcast center) wasn’t manned nor was some one able to take over (generally speaking if a network newscast comes from a bureau they don’t have a back over as the connectivity has been tested).

And minor compared to CBS but last weekend NBC Nightly News had a failure where the timing was off and the countdown for affiliates to cut to was shown on air and the prerecorded cold open didn’t play.

Last edited by Rkolsen on 25 May 2020 5:45pm
Don’t let anyone treat you like you’re a VO/SOT when you’re a PKG.
NG
noggin Founding member
But DTT did not have Teletext ever .... and DSAT in the nations did not have Teletext on it ever.... and as PQ was completed after Central Code and mux there was no “extra kit” required
So I’m mystified !

Aren't DSat subtitles implemented using WST subtitles (for Sky boxes) as well as DVB subtitles (for Freesat boxes)?
TE
Technologist London London
So I’m mystified !

Aren't DSat subtitles implemented using WST subtitles (for Sky boxes) as well as DVB subtitles (for Freesat boxes)?

Yes they did a partial error on my part ... I should have said text
. but the BBC did a lot to prevent teletext subtitles being output from the Sky stb ..... in those days a SD box whuch did not ..the later HD box does output them !
But there was in national Ceefax ... and I'm fairly sure that the subtitles in DSAT were not in the same DVB Teletext stream as Ceefax ...
Last edited by Technologist on 23 May 2020 12:15pm
OV
Orry Verducci Anglia (West) Look East (West sub-opt)
Already been discussed in the CBS thread but a major breakdown (as they almost never happen) on a network newscast. Apparently the new CBS DC Bureau is all IP and their EVERTZ audio router failed. Here’s what aired in the eastern and central time zones. They were able to make it to air for mountain and pacific time zones where Norah read straight to camera with no graphics and reportedly packages were played out from NYC master control. Because of CBS’s stance on the coronavirus a NY control room (the control room is actually at All Mobile Video across from the broadcast center) wasn’t manned nor was some one able to take over (generally speaking if a network newscast comes from a bureau they don’t have a back over as the connectivity has been tested).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOwIU9emv9o

As someone who looks after an IP facility, there's something about that explanation that doesn't sit right with me.

The great thing about IP is you don't really have video or audio routers any more. It all goes in to a IP network, and you change sources and destinations by changing the IP's each device is receiving from. Usually there's some sort of central system to act like a router and control it all, but as video/audio isn't actually going through it everything should continue working if it fails, albeit without easy control.

So assuming they are actually entirely IP, it's not like the old days where a router could fail and take all the audio sources with it, which is where that explanation doesn't stack up. The only equivalent problem would be some sort of network failure, but that would take out everything, which could be what happened here.

An audio failure also wouldn't create the issues seen in the later airings for the other timezones, the vision mixer (switcher in US terminology) would be fully operational, so they would still be able to switch sources and key graphics as normal. It sounds as if they had to bypass everything and patch a camera straight to the network, which for me reaffirms that there was a bigger problem.

I will admit I'm not familiar with Evertz gear however so their may be a quirk to the Evertz system I'm not aware of.
VA
valley
I know that CBS use Evertz ATP gateways at the DC facility, one of those could have failed in theory.
RK
Rkolsen World News
Already been discussed in the CBS thread but a major breakdown (as they almost never happen) on a network newscast. Apparently the new CBS DC Bureau is all IP and their EVERTZ audio router failed. Here’s what aired in the eastern and central time zones. They were able to make it to air for mountain and pacific time zones where Norah read straight to camera with no graphics and reportedly packages were played out from NYC master control. Because of CBS’s stance on the coronavirus a NY control room (the control room is actually at All Mobile Video across from the broadcast center) wasn’t manned nor was some one able to take over (generally speaking if a network newscast comes from a bureau they don’t have a back over as the connectivity has been tested).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOwIU9emv9o

As someone who looks after an IP facility, there's something about that explanation that doesn't sit right with me.

The great thing about IP is you don't really have video or audio routers any more. It all goes in to a IP network, and you change sources and destinations by changing the IP's each device is receiving from. Usually there's some sort of central system to act like a router and control it all, but as video/audio isn't actually going through it everything should continue working if it fails, albeit without easy control.

So assuming they are actually entirely IP, it's not like the old days where a router could fail and take all the audio sources with it, which is where that explanation doesn't stack up. The only equivalent problem would be some sort of network failure, but that would take out everything, which could be what happened here.

An audio failure also wouldn't create the issues seen in the later airings for the other timezones, the vision mixer (switcher in US terminology) would be fully operational, so they would still be able to switch sources and key graphics as normal. It sounds as if they had to bypass everything and patch a camera straight to the network, which for me reaffirms that there was a bigger problem.

I will admit I'm not familiar with Evertz gear however so their may be a quirk to the Evertz system I'm not aware of.

The way the newscasts here work is that they’re recorded at 6:30 ET live and generally are played out until 7:00pm PT. The problem was that they could not get on the air at 6:30 supposedly due to an audio failure. But they were able to get a work around to get on the air at 5:30 MT (the mountain time zone mainly airs it at 5:30 and a significant portion of the pacific time) and that would be recorded by master control and the last playout would be at 7PM PT. So because they normally use the 6:30ET recorded version if there was an audio issue they would fix it either by re-recording the portion where there’s the error or do a whole new show.

Since they had to bypass and patch a single camera through and have master control play the reports suggests it was a bigger problem.

But that’s the explanation a CBS Master Control operator gave on Facebook and what my own sources have said.
Don’t let anyone treat you like you’re a VO/SOT when you’re a PKG.

Newer posts