The Newsroom

The ITN Nostalgia Thread

ITN and ITV News Memories (May 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SO
Soupnzi
Re Tom Bradby's "meteoric" rise, no one's mentioned The Agenda, his own show which pre-dated his bulletin reading. That plus getting the William and Kate engagement interview in 2010 really put him on the map. He became an ITV News name who even people who didn't watch ITV News had heard of.

I think the ITV bosses thought he would create a buzz, compared to the slightly more beige presentation at 10pm previously. He certainly generated lots of news coverage in his first few years. Obviously he isn't on quite so much now since his time off, and he's dialled-down his 'style' quite a lot since the business with that Genoa bridge collapse bong in 2018.
JW
JamesWorldNews
So I wonder when did ITN introduce nationwide news summaries in the mornings and afternoons?

IIRC, it coincided with the launch of the atrium studio and John Suchet at the helm of the EEN. I’m not sure if that was also in or around the launch of a revised ITV Daytime schedule, including the launch of This Morning etc.

Are you sure it wasn't earlier than that, James? This page has some examples of mid-morning bulletins from 1988/89: https://www.tvark.org/?page=1931. And this video suggests the mid-afternoon bulletin existed by 1990:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9eLoj7GYVM

Were these still regional at that point, then?

I can’t be certain, Rob, but I do recall that gallery backdrop for the morning summary during This Morning. But I don’t recall that at all in the afternoons. Which leads to my earlier thought that perhaps STV didn’t take the afternoon summary.

I’m not sure though.
ST
South Today

I think having the hour long Lunchtime News was a mistake, I watched it fairly often during the summer holiday but it felt bloated and drawn out. I vaguely remember they had a phone in at some point which seemed weird for a news bulletin.

The regional lunchtime bulletin within the Lunchtime news was extended. I remember Central News South responded by making their lunchtime bulletin doubled headed with Wesley and Hannah.
BA
Ballyboy
I wish they brought back the mid morning national news and regional news and weather again. I sometimes miss the gmb regional news opt out and I’m not keen on bbc breakfast
Last edited by Ballyboy on 22 May 2020 10:41pm
JK
JKDerry
It is strange that the first branded ITV News is at 1.30pm, a really late start, as ITV of course used to always have a 5.30am bulletin for the breakfast programmes at 6am.

A bulletin at 11am during This Morning with local news too would be nice - it won't happen though
JA
james-2001
It was good when they bought back the News At Ten in 2008, giving it a different look, feel and studio, even using a more high tech remake of the 1988 titles, giving it the more authority it always had historically. Then after a few years it went back to being the same as all the other bulletins, sadly.
AndrewPSSP, JamesWorldNews and chevron gave kudos
JK
JKDerry
It was good when they bought back the News At Ten in 2008, giving it a different look, feel and studio, even using a more high tech remake of the 1988 titles, giving it the more authority it always had historically. Then after a few years it went back to being the same as all the other bulletins, sadly.

The Jan 2008 to Nov 2009 look was superb. The opening title sequence brought back memories to me, I remembered the 1988 to 1992 opening titles, flying over the city of London and heading toward Big Ben, perfect. The night time sky line view of London was beautiful and filled the "theatre of news" very well. They took a brilliant design and in November 2009 replaced it with the crapulence of the complete virtual look, with the trying to get out of the car park opening title sequence, all because ITV News were afraid of being too London centred - BS!
CH
chris

The current News at Ten has different titles, music and amended studio.
JK
JKDerry
chris posted:

But compared to 2008, you have to admit it is poor.
DJ
DJ Dave
Surely that has to go down in history as one of Itv's biggest mistakes axing news at ten? Always remember people in school saying "My watch is set by News at Ten" Laughing Laughing

By the time they brought it back it was to late and the BBC had already taken their viewers, but good on the Beeb for taking a chance as it worked.
CH
chris
chris posted:

But compared to 2008, you have to admit it is poor.

If you say so. I was pointing out that your original post was incorrect.
JA
james-2001
chris posted:

Not anywhere was unique as it was from the other bulletins in the 2008 era though. I wouldn't even say the studio's that different, it's basically minor tweaks.

Newer posts