TV Home Forum

The Sport Thread

For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (July 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DV
DVB Cornwall
Confirmation of the BBC Live Premier League plan

VA
valley
The gist being that out of the 45 remaining matches which haven't already got TV coverage allocated:

Sky Sports: 32
BT Sport: 8
Amazon & BBC: 5

Plus a "reasonable amount" of matches FTA - potentially via Sky & BT's YouTube channels or similar, or extra highlights packages airing on the BBC.
BR
Brekkie
28 years today since it was annoucned Sky would have exclusive live coverage of the Premier League. Are there any broadcast news reports of the time floating around?

paul_hadley and Rory gave kudos
DV
DVB Cornwall
Interesting, AZPV Germany muscling in on the Bundesliga with a one off domestic rights share with DAZN for tonight's fixture

MI
TheMike
Interesting, AZPV Germany muscling in on the Bundesliga with a one off domestic rights share with DAZN for tonight's fixture

That's because DAZN sub-licenced the rights from Eurosport after Discovery gave up to the Bundesliga. When Eurosport refused to pay the latest installment of money to the Bundesliga, there were doubts whether DAZN would be allowed to show any matches, according to a number of reports from Germany last week. This is a bit of a fudge arrangement, initially for one game only.

Amazon Prime DE viewers have previously been able to access Bundesliga via Eurosport 2Xtra through Prime Channels, which was a straight simulcast of DAZN.
HC
Hatton Cross
DAZN - The next snake in the grass for Premier League rights..
VA
valley

They already have rights to air it in Spain and Canada. It is interesting how they have no presence in the UK despite having been founded in London and their HQ is here I believe.
BR
Brekkie
They were planning to launch something in the UK this Spring but for obvious reasons that has not gone ahead.
GE
thegeek Founding member

They already have rights to air it in Spain and Canada. It is interesting how they have no presence in the UK despite having been founded in London and their HQ is here I believe.

The DAZN service was launched by Perform Group, who subsequently split into two and renamed one half of themselves DAZN.

It seems to be quite difficult in the UK to make sports rights cover their costs on their own. Sky make it work because it's part of a bigger entertainment package, BT do it to sell broadband, and Amazon just want you to buy more stuff via their website. The likes of Setanta and Eleven have shown that it's not always easy to be a pure-play sport subscription service. I guess local market conditions are more favourable for DAZN elsewhere.
VA
valley
It seems to be quite difficult in the UK to make sports rights cover their costs on their own. Sky make it work because it's part of a bigger entertainment package, BT do it to sell broadband, and Amazon just want you to buy more stuff via their website. The likes of Setanta and Eleven have shown that it's not always easy to be a pure-play sport subscription service. I guess local market conditions are more favourable for DAZN elsewhere.

Indeed.

I agree that it would be challenging in the UK. Stand-alone services seem to struggle rather a lot here.
MI
Michael
The only way DAZN would work is if every game was available for TV viewing, even 3PMs.
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
Some live UK sport coming soon. Social distancing snooker tournament starting on ITV4 from 1st June

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-05-21/live-uk-sport-returns-as-itv-cues-up-snooker/

Newer posts