Mass Media & Technology

Nvidia Shield

Looking For Advice (May 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NL
Ne1L C
Hi everyone

I'm in the market for a media player to play back my collection of media files on a bigger screen than a 14 inch set. I've heard and read a lot of good feedback about the Nvidia Pro. Does the external HDD I have need to be formatted in a certain way (Its a WD 2TB HDD).

I know they're not easy to but nowadays but I'm looking for quality.

Thanks
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
The SHIELD supports and will automatically mount drives formatted with the following common filesystems:

exFAT (compatible with both Windows and OS X/macOS)
HFS+ (standard for OS X)
NTFS (common for Windows)

So unless you've formatted it with some obscure file system, it should just work.

Not entirely sure what the screen size has to do with it, albeit the bigger the screen and the lower quality the source file in the first place, the worse it'll look, but that's what happens if you blow up 320x240 to 1080i... Smile
LL
London Lite Founding member
As an aside, the Shield is probably the best streaming device you can get on the market. I don't have the current generation models which can make 1080p and 4K look even better, but the main selling point for me is that NVidia update the Android OS. It's currently on Pie, but it'll update to 10 eventually. They still support the first gen 2015 models as well.

I use Plex for watching my own content stored on my local network and is faultless on it.
NL
Ne1L C
The SHIELD supports and will automatically mount drives formatted with the following common filesystems:

exFAT (compatible with both Windows and OS X/macOS)
HFS+ (standard for OS X)
NTFS (common for Windows)

So unless you've formatted it with some obscure file system, it should just work.

Not entirely sure what the screen size has to do with it, albeit the bigger the screen and the lower quality the source file in the first place, the worse it'll look, but that's what happens if you blow up 320x240 to 1080i... Smile

Well its to be paired with a 32 inch Samsung TV circa 2012 so its not going to get anywhere near that size

As an aside, the Shield is probably the best streaming device you can get on the market. I don't have the current generation models which can make 1080p and 4K look even better, but the main selling point for me is that NVidia update the Android OS. It's currently on Pie, but it'll update to 10 eventually. They still support the first gen 2015 models as well.

I use Plex for watching my own content stored on my local network and is faultless on it.

I'm looking for the best. I've plumped for cheaper less specced boxes in the past and the results have been mixed.
NJ
The size of the screen is still arbitrary. A 2012 TV will probably be HD, 1920x1080, which I would be very surprised if the Shield or any other device couldn't do.

Can I ask please , why do you think the size of the TV has anything to do with your media streamer of choice? Or am I missing something?
Last edited by Neil Jones on 20 May 2020 9:02pm
NL
Ne1L C
The size of the screen is still arbitrary. A 2012 TV will probably be HD, 1920x1080, which I would be very surprised if the Shield or any other device couldn't do.

Can I ask please , why do you think the size of the TV has anything to do with your media streamer of choice?

Hmm, that's a good question. Its when you wrote about screen resolution I thought you'd written 3200 X 2400. Mea Culpa Embarassed
NJ
Yeah I was just going to say, your video files aren't even 320x240 and you said "not even that big"? Mega potato vision fan Wink
NL
Ne1L C
Can anyone tell me if Sky Go is playable on the Shield?
LL
London Lite Founding member

No it's not.

An important thing about the Shield is that it uses the Android TV interface. So if you want to try and sideload standard Android apps, you can try and some work, but others won't like Sky Go.

There are some that may work using the Chromecast built-in feature. Now TV works on there, but not as well as using a normal Chromecast. Same for Britbox.
NL
Ne1L C

No it's not.

An important thing about the Shield is that it uses the Android TV interface. So if you want to try and sideload standard Android apps, you can try and some work, but others won't like Sky Go.

There are some that may work using the Chromecast built-in feature. Now TV works on there, but not as well as using a normal Chromecast. Same for Britbox.

Thanks a lot for letting me know.

Newer posts