Media Websites

TV Forum

NW
nwtv2003 Granada North West Today
Asa posted:
1st Jan? Sorry, you missed the cutoff Very Happy

I like your suggestion Rob, the first year of the site feels quite fitting. Presumably a number of those who registered in Jan 2003 were original members too, feel free to let me know if you're one of them and I'll dig out the registration date if I can.

And Billy, I’ve updated your date!

I joined in November 2001, I think I was originally ‘stegranadaitv1’ (forgive me I was 14 then!) but I had been hovering over the Forum for a couple of months prior to that.
steve
steviegTVreturns
PE
Pete Founding member North Reporting Scotland
Asa posted:

I like your suggestion Rob, the first year of the site feels quite fitting. Presumably a number of those who registered in Jan 2003 were original members too, feel free to let me know if you're one of them and I'll dig out the registration date if I can.

I always find it amazing that Metropol started in 2003. The Lounge, The Red Lounge, The Fight Thread and everything all happened in the first two years of the forum.
ELM 2011: I am sick of been persicuted by you immature TV Forumers!
IT
itsrobert Founding member Granada North West Today
Pete posted:
Asa posted:

I always find it amazing that Metropol started in 2003. The Lounge, The Red Lounge, The Fight Thread and everything all happened in the first two years of the forum.

You're right, Pete, that is pretty amazing. So much happened in those first couple of years. It doesn't feel like Metropol has been around for 17 years. As a moderator at the time I have to admit I absolutely hated The Lounge. It was an absolute nightmare to keep an eye on as I'm sure Asa will agree. I was glad when you took it off our hands!

Which leads me nicely on to my username - I must be one of the very few original members never to have changed it since the start. I can't bring myself to change it as I fondly remember the itsrobot moniker I had during my moderating days. At the time it was irritating but now, looking back, it was funny! I was almost computerised in the speed with which I could clunk that padlock on a thread. Good times Laughing

The other thing I can't believe is that I gave up that role as a moderator in 2008. The fact I only did 7 years as a mod and I've now completed 12 years as a member doesn't seem right in my head either. I'd swear I was a mod for longer than I was.
AN
all new Phil Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
I think you’ll find it was titsrobot. Or maybe that was just in private Laughing
PE
As a moderator at the time I have to admit I absolutely hated The Lounge. It was an absolute nightmare to keep an eye on as I'm sure Asa will agree. I was glad when you took it off our hands!

Well I can't take credit, it was Martin and re-it-er-ate who created the original purple Metropol before handing over to Gavin in May 2007.

What amazes me next is that, having offered a week or two later afterwards to help fix the tech problems for Gav, it seems me and Bail had thrown together the absurd olympics theme in under a month, followed by an upgrade to a (beta!) version of phpBB3 a month after that. You can tell that was the summer I was back at mum's over summer between 1st and 2nd year of uni.
BA
Bail Moderator Meridian (South) South Today
I'll never forget within the first few years of being a mod, banning the entire membership from the forum in accidentally putting a * in the wrong place on the ip ban filter...!

I also love how the Metropol logo (intended as an Olympic spoof) has endured so much that I can't recall the 2012 logo but the metropol one I can in a heartbeat.

Is this now the TVForum nostalgia thread?
Rory and London Lite gave kudos
DO
dosxuk Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
Bail posted:
I'll never forget within the first few years of being a mod, banning the entire membership from the forum in accidentally putting a * in the wrong place on the ip ban filter...!

Which reminds me of this...

... bonus points to anyone who can remember the (non-TVF, but related) backstory behind that image
Mike W and paul_hadley gave kudos
PE
... bonus points to anyone who can remember the (non-TVF, but related) backstory behind that image

From deep in the bowels of TV Centre: do not unplug this fan, or all of UKTV will fall offline
:-(
A former member
Did we have an IRC chat, or am I imagining that?
PE
Did we have an IRC chat, or am I imagining that?

We did. #tvforum. There was a Maggie Mash bot that provided updates on the Iraq War and at one point we kept getting invaded by Serbians until we changed server.
:-(
A former member
That’s it. Those were indeed the days - was good fun for sure!
JO
johnnyboy Founding member Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
Pete posted:
Asa posted:

The thread I remember most from the old Lounge other than J*r*n Br**s (I'm sure that was pre-Metropol) was the toilet thread discussing the sheen on various toilets and thier effectiveness in moving all the sticky detritus post-flush after a Richard the Third.
OFCOM's queen bitch
AndrewPSSP and all new Phil gave kudos

Newer posts

No further posts are being accepted for this topic