TV Home Forum

BBC Four to become archive channel (p15)

Arts content moves to BBC2, BBC3 budget doubled (May 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
The next issue of course is if BBC3 came back and BBC4 remained where would they go on the EPG, with BBC3 having sacrificed it's slot to local TV in most areas on Freeview meaning it would play second fiddle to That's TV. IIRC BBC1 HD was bumped up the EPG on Sky, though not sure what happened on Cable.
Jeffmister and JetixFann450 gave kudos
TR
trivialmatters
Bringing back BBC Three as a linear channel would be absolute madness at this stage. The success of RuPaul's Drag Race shows young people do indeed watch programmes on iPlayer in their millions, if you make programmes that appeal to them and promote them successfully. If anything, the BBC Three and Four "brands" should be killed completely.
LondonViewer and Rijowhi gave kudos
WH
Whataday Founding member
The next issue of course is if BBC3 came back and BBC4 remained where would they go on the EPG, with BBC3 having sacrificed it's slot to local TV in most areas on Freeview meaning it would play second fiddle to That's TV. IIRC BBC1 HD was bumped up the EPG on Sky, though not sure what happened on Cable.

Bring back BBC Three and make it the national spine these local stations should have had in the first place?
JO
Josh
LCN 8 is spare on Freeview, if I recall correctly.
GO
gottago
Josh posted:
LCN 8 is spare on Freeview, if I recall correctly.

Depends where you are, not free in Scotland or Wales and wherever local TV channels didn't choose to move to channel 7, London Live for example (actually is that the only one?).
RI
Rijowhi
Bringing back BBC Three as a linear channel would be absolute madness at this stage. The success of RuPaul's Drag Race shows young people do indeed watch programmes on iPlayer in their millions, if you make programmes that appeal to them and promote them successfully. If anything, the BBC Three and Four "brands" should be killed completely.

Bring back BBC Three and make it the national spine these local stations should have had in the first place?

Spot on ‘trivialmatters’, bringing back BBC3 would cause more confusion than anything. Both BBC3 and BBC4 need to be put out of their misery as brands in my opinion, use the stronger i-player brand instead for streaming programmes. As for BBC2 even in these days of multi-channels and streaming, a channel nearer the start of the EPG is more likely to gain viewership. If this channel is stronger through the closure of BBC3/BBC4 then so be it.

As for ‘Whataday’s comment on making BBC3 the National spine, not exactly matched well in content are they? Mind you the Local TV network is just pants and should be scrapped completely as a good idea executed badly.

Edit - With potentially dwindling resources for both parties I wonder if the BBC and ITV would be approved by Ofcom to collaborate on a Children’s TV channel instead of the separate branded CBBC/CITV? Collaboration is key for a new age of British made PSB programming in my opinion and Ofcom needs to see this now...not in 20 years time!
Last edited by Rijowhi on 19 May 2020 11:40pm
OM
Omnipresent
Would this need OFCOM approval?

I would imagine Channel 4 would lobby quite hard against it, particularly given their current financial position.

(Remember Stuart Murphy's vow to "screw E4"?)
BR
Brekkie
I think ITV rather than C4 have more to lose nowadays. It could actually be good though for them all to encourage younger viewers back to linear TV, although of course the BBC, ITV and C4 are all working together at the moment on doing exactly the opposite with BritBox.
YO
yogibarney

I would imagine Channel 4 would lobby quite hard against it, particularly given their current financial position.

It possibly would need OFCOM.

But speaking E4 they are doing a far better job of screwing themselves!
They’ve held off showing Supernatural for so long and now showing the new episodes at midnight and don’t get me started on Batwoman where they aren’t showing the “Crisis...” episode this Sunday when they should therefore the special box set off all Crisis episodes which comes out this Friday will allow people to watch it before E4 eventually shows it at the end of the series like they are currently planning to
BR
Brekkie
Yes, Supernatural has been treated like **** - think it's 1am now for new episodes. Surely there is one hour within the week it can air - indeed if it's doing poorly move it to half past the hour then you can put more profitable shows in the half hour before and after and show less ads during Supernatural itself.

Then again, maybe they shouldn't be surprised it's not performing well considering it's been dumped by at least two channels here during it's run.

Re: Batwoman - have no interest in those sorts of shows myself but makes things difficult internationally when these franchises have crossover episodes and the shows are not on the same network. Also read the shows lead actress has now quit so will be recast for the second series.

Anyway, back on topic. One of the first things Tony Hall did was axe BBC3, and one of the last things he might do is revive it. Do worry though a new DG may come in and review the decisions anyway - in a way although I may not agree with it BBC3 remaining axed gives the BBC more stability than it being axed and then revived a couple of years later.
JA
JAS84

It possibly would need OFCOM.

But speaking E4 they are doing a far better job of screwing themselves!
They’ve held off showing Supernatural for so long and now showing the new episodes at midnight and don’t get me started on Batwoman where they aren’t showing the “Crisis...” episode this Sunday when they should therefore the special box set off all Crisis episodes which comes out this Friday will allow people to watch it before E4 eventually shows it at the end of the series like they are currently planning to
Skipping the Crisis episode? That's odd, didn't Sky One show the other four parts recently? There's no reason to wait if so.

And yes, Ruby Rose just quit the show.
https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/batwoman-ruby-rose-exit-season-2-1234611163/
ST
Stuart
IIRC BBC1 HD was bumped up the EPG on Sky, though not sure what happened on Cable.

It was indeed, then BBC Alba was moved into its old slot. As a PSB, BBC Three would get the highest available vacant slot on the Sky EPG (159, 160, 176, 188, 189, 190, 194, 196, 198) but some of those belong to Sky, and will be used in the shuffle when Sky Nature and Sky Documentaries launch next week.

Is there anything to stop the BBC shuffling around their UKTV channels to provide BBC Three with a better slot if the allocated one is too far down the EPG?

Newer posts