TV Home Forum

BBC Four to become archive channel (p15)

Arts content moves to BBC2, BBC3 budget doubled (May 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
JAS84 posted:
Reverse the question. Why would BBC4 need to be on air earlier? Like I said, the first half hour is a simulcast - not necessary when everyone can access the news channel. BBC3 on the other hand would be showing new programmes.

Paid for how though?

BBC3 never really had much content from 7-9pm in it's later years - it was mainly reruns of Top Gear and then live sport overspill or music events. I did say at the time the compromise should have been CBBC being extended (either till 8pm, or 9pm in the week/7pm at weekends).

For arguments sake if both BBC3 and BBC4 ran from 8pm-2am each day, with a three hour schedule which was then repeated from 11pm, and no more than an hour of new programming a day on average, that might be sustainable, with a mixture of archive programming and narrative repeats, both of BBC3/4 shows plus content from BBC1/2, a linear schedule could probably maintained.

I don't think though that is the right thing to do - for me BBC3 & BBC4 don't work now and the BBC should look at alternative options for at least one alternative linear evening schedule that offers them the flexibility of an extra linear channel but without the content restrictions.
JF
JetixFann450
I don't see the idea of merging BBC4 and BBC3's output into a mixed schedule on some days. At most, you could simply have a channel based solely on what aired on BBC1 and BBC2 earlier (BBC Choice) but again, you've got the issue of repeats. I still think the BBC would be better off creating a new broadcast stream of content that the viewer can tune into and expect something different to watch.

The VOD idea works fine on platforms like Netflix, but the BBC still need a lot more to "catch-up" (pun intended) with the competitors and I think with streaming on platforms like YouTube and Twitch becoming more popular with the younger audience, why wouldn't they take an opportunity at that when they've got a chance to attract audiences back to the BBC Three brand?
:-(
A former member
What if CBBC became BBC3 and ran later? It skews older towards the end of the day anyway, and the sort of content that’s been created since BBC3’s move online feels like a further extension of that. In terms of branding, I know when I was in my teens I used to find the branding of tv aimed at my age range a bit cringe and wanted something a bit more grown-up. Not saying it’s a perfect solution but I think it could work.
JetixFann450, Rory and Sh1ruba gave kudos
CW
Charlie Wells Moderator
JAS84 posted:
How about a compromise. BBC Four shares with CBBC and goes on air at 8pm. Both lose an hour, but the first half hour on BBC Four is a News simulcast anyway, isn't it? Cbeebies would then share it's space with the relaunched BBC Three, which would go on air at 7pm.

Whilst I could imagine the 8pm switch idea potentially being done I doubt the vacated 7pm to 7am (Cbeebies) space would be used to relaunch BBC Three. More likely is it would be used for an SD version of BBC Scotland on Freeview in Scotland, and becoming a red button channel in the other nations. (In this scenario I imagine the BBC Four HD would also move from COM8 to PSB3 mux.)

As a note of caution it's probably worth noting that since the Telegraph's article last Wednesday we've yet to see/hear anything being officially proposed by the BBC.
NE
News96
Seems it's not happening (for now)

WM
WMD
But BBC Three could return to linear TV... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52719883
BA
Ballyboy
This will be a tv first. history in the making. has there ever been a tv channel how would you say brought back to life?
JA
james-2001
WMD posted:
But BBC Three could return to linear TV... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52719883

If it did, presumably it would have to start at 9PM now the CBBC Channel is extended to then, and I can't see the BBC being able to get more bandwidth to put it on elsewhere.
JA
Jake
So they justified moving Three online because that's where the audience is, and because people are watching online they're moving it back to TV?
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Key word: "could". Could != will.
OM
Omnipresent
WMD posted:

A curiously worded quote from the BBC:

Quote:
"A BBC spokesman said "we'd be wrong not to back a service that is doing better than anyone could have ever conceived".

This story is also on the front page of tomorrow's Times and in The Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/may/19/bbc-three-could-return-as-broadcast-channel-under-proposals

Looks like it has been actively leaked with a 10pm embargo ahead of tomorrow's annual plan.
Last edited by Omnipresent on 19 May 2020 10:39pm
PE
peterrocket Founding member
Seems it's not happening (for now)

Yes, no current plans. All in the wording too. BBC Three wasn't closed when it moved online.

Newer posts