The Newsroom

Broadcasting House Studios

(May 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RK
Rkolsen
We know where studio C is, directly below reception and the old BBC Arabic or Persian studio had a backdrop of All Souls Church.

Recently there were floor plans on the planning commission. You just have to figure it out.
WI
Willz
We know where studio C is, directly below reception and the old BBC Arabic or Persian studio had a backdrop of All Souls Church.

Recently there were floor plans on the planning commission. You just have to figure it out.

I think you mean Studio E.
JW
JamesWorldNews
Studio C is at level -3, I think. Way down deep.
WI
Willz
Studio C is at level -3, I think. Way down deep.

Yup, along with A, B and D!
AndrewPSSP and JamesWorldNews gave kudos
MI
m_in_m
Are B and C close to one another as there is a green room that can be used by both? Logical given the volume of use both studios have with BBC World in normal circumstances.

Is D actually under the Peel Wing or is it just the gallery that is there but presumably many floors up given it has windows.
WI
Willz
Does anyone know where Studio 34D, 44D and 54D are?
DE
deejay
They’re all in Peel Wing.
JK
JKDerry
The RTE Radio Centre in Dublin has a better structured way of their studios. Their radio centre is located not far from the RTE Television Centre, meaning radio and television close by. Opened in 1973 and is still the main headquarters of RTE Radio (for the time being at least, we can never be sure with regards to RTE budget plans).

The radio centre has 13 studios, all based underground to ensure better quality sound. Studio 1 is the largest studio and used for radio dramas and concerts etc, with the remaining 12 studios based around Studio 1.

The RTE Radio Centre is only two floors, one about ground and the one below ground - a perfect simple way to have a radio centre, and not the badly mixed bag of studios the New Broadcasting House has in London. Shame when they built the new extension, they never considered simplicity in the form of structure, as it does seems the radio studios are all mixed through in that vast complex.
DO
dosxuk
I dread to think how much expensive land NBH would take up if it only had two floors.
JK
JKDerry
I dread to think how much expensive land NBH would take up if it only had two floors.

RTE had the vast expanse of their Donnybrook site to help them compared to the restricted central London location for NBH.
IS
Inspector Sands

They could probably cope with just two floors at the moment!
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 20 May 2020 7:18pm
IS
Inspector Sands

The RTE Radio Centre is only two floors, one about ground and the one below ground - a perfect simple way to have a radio centre, and not the badly mixed bag of studios the New Broadcasting House has in London. Shame when they built the new extension, they never considered simplicity in the form of structure, as it does seems the radio studios are all mixed through in that vast complex.

New Broadcasting House is hardly an 'extension', it was a totally new building which incorporated most of an older one (even old BH was mostly rebuilt)

The structure is fairly simple and flexible - above the TV studios, apps rooms and plant in the lower floors it's all open plan.

The radio studios are spread throughout the building because the departments that use them are too. Makes no sense to have the studios for Radio 3 and the studios for Radio 1 in the same place when they're built for very different programming and the production teams work in different parts of the building.

Newer posts