TV Home Forum

Who Wants to be a Millionaire?

Sunday 8pm on ITV (February 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
Markymark
I read elsewhere that all of last week's WWTBAMs had no right channel audio !! ?

Did anyone notice ?

Yes.

Certainly, I noticed there was a lack of volume from my Dolby Surround Sound setup from the early 90's from the back speakers last week during the shows, especially the right side. I thought it was my Freeview box as if you turn it off/on, sometimes the surround sound is restored. However, this was not the case on WWTBAM, I checked other channels at the same time and the sound was normal. Definitely a lack of stereo sound during the programme all week.

What would have caused this, would this be a transmission issue or a technical problem that no-one was aware of at the time of recording?

Hard to say ! It's a worry (within the scope of technical standards) that it persisted all week on playout ! And actually it's also a worry if it was a production cock up.
HC
Hatton Cross
Post-it note stuck over the right hand sound level montiors on the mixer desk, probably.. Very Happy
VA
valley
I read elsewhere that all of last week's WWTBAMs had no right channel audio !! ?

Did anyone notice ?

Yes.

Certainly, I noticed there was a lack of volume from my Dolby Surround Sound setup from the early 90's from the back speakers last week during the shows, especially the right side. I thought it was my Freeview box as if you turn it off/on, sometimes the surround sound is restored. However, this was not the case on WWTBAM, I checked other channels at the same time and the sound was normal. Definitely a lack of stereo sound during the programme all week.

What would have caused this, would this be a transmission issue or a technical problem that no-one was aware of at the time of recording?

Hard to say ! It's a worry (within the scope of technical standards) that it persisted all week on playout ! And actually it's also a worry if it was a production cock up.

It's very odd! If it was a studio issue then it would've been fixed in post (it is very rare that individual tracks are not ISO'd on pre-recorded shows nowadays), and if there was a post issue, then it would've surely failed compliance?
GB
Gary Baldy
Audio was fine for me the last week?
MA
Markymark
Audio was fine for me the last week?

Does your TV have left and right speakers, and would you have noticed nothing coming out of the right hand one?
SS
SuperSajuuk
Not related to Clarkson’s Millionaire, but Sony Channel jumped from mid 2003 Millionaire episodes to 2010 Clock based Millionaire on a contestant who’d already been playing, continuity ain’t good there tbh (and given it is Sony Channel, i don’t know why they wouldn’t show all episodes instead of jumping like that)
BR
Brekkie
I suspect that really highlighted how poor the later incarnation was.
BillyH and SuperSajuuk gave kudos
JA
JAS84
Not related to Clarkson’s Millionaire, but Sony Channel jumped from mid 2003 Millionaire episodes to 2010 Clock based Millionaire on a contestant who’d already been playing, continuity ain’t good there tbh (and given it is Sony Channel, i don’t know why they wouldn’t show all episodes instead of jumping like that)
Could it be that the 2005 Classic Millionaire re-edits of the early 2000s episodes ran out at that point? But why would they start the 2010 series in the middle?
SS
SuperSajuuk
JAS84 posted:
Could it be that the 2005 Classic Millionaire re-edits of the early 2000s episodes ran out at that point? But why would they start the 2010 series in the middle?

I thought they did Classic Millionaire of basically all the Tarrant era (from Series 5 onwards that is), at least 2007/2008 episodes where FFF existed were repeated on Challenge under the classic banner. And yeah, even if it were the case, there's no reason to start in the middle of a series with your next episode, without any context given the previous one was 2003
Last edited by SuperSajuuk on 20 May 2020 11:44am
JA
JAS84
Maybe Sony don't have the rights to the episodes Challenge air? Similar to how Channel 4 and Sky One have different seasons of The Simpsons.
JO
Jon
I don’t think it’s as complex as that, I’m pretty sure I’ve seen the same episode on both channel within a very short period of time, even if that was the case it would be unlikely they are divided up on an episode by episode basis.

Maybe Sony show different series in different time slots, so for example if you watch say the 9pm showing every night and only the 9pm showing you can still follow the same contestants, the next night at the same time? Or maybe because they regard the older (ironically pre-Sony ownership) episodes as better they show those in the better slots?
JO
Jon
US Millionaire has been recommissioned. Whether there will be a studio audience when it next airs remains to be seen but it would seem unlikely.

They’ve also been talking up the possibility of doing a civilian run.

Newer posts