The Newsroom

The BBC World News Thread

BBC World | 30 Years Anniversary - Page 127 (October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RK
Rkolsen
The background will be on the background layer of the ME bank. Doing it in a DSK would just be bizarre. If you wanted different backgrounds on the same output, you'd probably go down the split ME route, where you tie up two MEs doing the same thing, just with different backgrounds and feed those MEs out as the programme feed for each outlet.

So a Viz engine would be feeding the gallery a background rather than downstream.

The whole way the graphics engines are setup here are confusing and that’s why I was wondering if it was downstream. And could Mosart and BNCS handle that?

Yes - the galleries have dedicated Viz engines for DVE box backgrounds, full-screen still images etc. Those are cut/routed by the gallery vision mixer and are present on all outputs. For DVE boxes the Viz generating the box background is likely to be upstream keyed within an ME bank, possibly using resizers rather than a DVE, (or it could be fed into a DVE background channel if the DVE can be used independently of an ME bank, and is itself a source). There are many ways of skinning that cat on a modern mixer - and your options vary depending whether you are Sony, GVG original, GVG Kahuna etc.

Because you may need to feed things to in-vision screens as well as cutting them to air - doing all of that downstream wouldn't make sense.

Additionally there are additional overlaid Viz engines downstream of the gallery vision mixer that key on different on-screen furniture (lower thirds, flipper, clock, channel logo etc.)

Okay that answers another thing so full screen graphics are the same if they’re going out on two different styles?

Also I seem to remember (or dreamed) a post where Victoria Derbyshire Show went out as a simulcast but due to breaking news BBC Two remained with her custom package while News went with their style.
DE
deejay
I don’t think there have been any examples on BBC news of full frame graphics being in different styles when simulcasting. I think the Victoria Derbyshire simulcasts went out with bespoke lower thirds (VD style on BBC Two/News Channel and News style on World?).

All of that was possible because the lower thirds are added after the gallery outputs and before the TX chains, so can be generated in any programme style.

I don’t think there is any full frame split style currently set up in any of the programmes. There is one dedicated viz output for full frames per gallery (and another for the pushbacks) plus two for in-vision screen images.
NG
noggin Founding member
So a Viz engine would be feeding the gallery a background rather than downstream.

The whole way the graphics engines are setup here are confusing and that’s why I was wondering if it was downstream. And could Mosart and BNCS handle that?

Yes - the galleries have dedicated Viz engines for DVE box backgrounds, full-screen still images etc. Those are cut/routed by the gallery vision mixer and are present on all outputs. For DVE boxes the Viz generating the box background is likely to be upstream keyed within an ME bank, possibly using resizers rather than a DVE, (or it could be fed into a DVE background channel if the DVE can be used independently of an ME bank, and is itself a source). There are many ways of skinning that cat on a modern mixer - and your options vary depending whether you are Sony, GVG original, GVG Kahuna etc.

Because you may need to feed things to in-vision screens as well as cutting them to air - doing all of that downstream wouldn't make sense.

Additionally there are additional overlaid Viz engines downstream of the gallery vision mixer that key on different on-screen furniture (lower thirds, flipper, clock, channel logo etc.)

Okay that answers another thing so full screen graphics are the same if they’re going out on two different styles?

Also I seem to remember (or dreamed) a post where Victoria Derbyshire Show went out as a simulcast but due to breaking news BBC Two remained with her custom package while News went with their style.

Yes - in general full screen graphics such as still photos, animating graphic explainers etc. would be on all outputs and sourced from a single source for all outlets (i.e. cut up on the main mixer output). it's not unusual to start with a graphic in a screen and then take it full-frame too.

Lower thirds and other overlaid on-screen furniture (ticker/flipper, clock, logo, name captions, story captions - and in some cases live bug and live locators) can all be added downstream with different styles used for different outputs if needed - but the full-screen graphics (boxed stills, DVE box backgrounds etc.) would be in a single style for all outlets.
HA
harshy Founding member
In theory if BBC News had virtual studios could it be customised per channel in future, in my mind that sounds fantastic Very Happy
JW
JamesWorldNews
In theory if BBC News had virtual studios could it be customised per channel in future, in my mind that sounds fantastic Very Happy

Just drop in a different branded backdrop and graphics, et voila!

We could even go one step further by asking the newscaster to wear a green tie and we will superimpose different patterns to make the channels look totally different. 😜

All joking aside, you raise quite a valid point, Harshy. I wonder if it’ll ever happen.
GE
thegeek Founding member

JW
JamesWorldNews
Aaron Heslehurst is back at NBH tomorrow to start prep work on a new weekly Business Show on BBC World News. Based on his brief tweet, it doesn’t sound as if it’s going to be from Studio B. He did suggest that it would be a “seated” style programme, so maybe it’s from Studio C or even E. Not sure.

Sounds like it could be a similar offering to Al Jazeera’s weekly Business Show, CTC.
RN
Rolling News
*Another* business show?? Lol.
CO
Connews
Journalistically, this is such a good call. We are drowning in business news right now.
SC
scottishtv Founding member
We all know this happens in China but still makes you stop and think when you see a clip:

RK
Rkolsen
We all know this happens in China but still makes you stop and think when you see a clip:

I know the BBC has to use Chinese satellites, but are these to distribute to regular cable and satellite providers? Or does the BBC send a direct link to the censoring agency and is uplinked from there?

I take it the BBC has tried uplinking on different satellites, but I assume as in Iran there signals are jammed or is it illegal for people in china to receive non approved feeds by using a satellite tuner?

I assume the people in BBC offices can view the feed through IPTV feeds or an encrypted feed that they’re using to distribute to the censoring agency?
MA
Markymark

I know the BBC has to use Chinese satellites, but are these to distribute to regular cable and satellite providers? Or does the BBC send a direct link to the censoring agency and is uplinked from there?

I take it the BBC has tried uplinking on different satellites, but I assume as in Iran there signals are jammed or is it illegal for people in china to receive non approved feeds by using a satellite tuner?

I assume the people in BBC offices can view the feed through IPTV feeds or an encrypted feed that they’re using to distribute to the censoring agency?

I don't think the BBC use Chinese run satellites ? A very quick google reveals Telstar 18 is one bird for that region, which has a large footprint, that doesn't just cover China

http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/Telstar-18-Vantage.html

Secondly you can't jam a satellite signal on the downlink, you can only jam the uplink by squirting a signal at the satellite from the ground (As happens)

I suspect it's being blanked out on the various cable networks in the country?

Newer posts