The Sky News Thread

(October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TV
TVZone_
LO
Londoner
More on it here:
https://www.societyofeditors.org/soe_news/sky-news-to-take-remote-working-to-the-extreme/
RK
Rkolsen
Milbank in red lighting for the Q&A

I see they aren’t using the CDC illustration (or similar seen below) of COVID|19. So could someone explain what the Sky News illustration is supposed to represent?

While this is an electron microscope view of COVID-19 via the CDC:

Does anyone have a video of the broadcast?

I assume it’s immensely easier where Sky is running OverDrive automation. I’ve seen TV stations in the US do this as well with the director sitting at home running the automation.

Some pictures:

Surprised there have been no posts from Sky News Tech Team @NewsTech
VA
valley
I see they aren’t using the CDC illustration (or similar seen below) of COVID|19. So could someone explain what the Sky News illustration is supposed to represent?

It's just a graphic, there's no deeper meaning! The CDC representation of it would be a bit much as the background to titles and slates, in my opinion. They have, however been using the CDC image on the side screens in the VR for some segments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCwaxSvSAS8

Surprised there have been no posts from Sky News Tech Team @NewsTech

They are very busy. I believe it was done primarily using vMix rather than Overdrive, but I'm not certain - I'll ask James (the director) when I next see him.
:-(
A former member
It was technically impressive but Christ it was a dull half an hour.
RK
Rkolsen
Why does Sky feel the need to put a live bug between every box in this picture? One up top should suffice and make it easier if they rerun a clip.

VA
valley
Why does Sky feel the need to put a live bug between every box in this picture? One up top should suffice and make it easier if they rerun a clip.

House style to put live tags between the locators on boxes (of any number). See the very start of this video for 8-way boxes (with the text on the outer 4 being indented to remain safe) with live tags.

And one other thing; when using boxes in normal programming, one of the recorded outputs has no live indicators at all.

LH
lhx1985
Do my eyes deceive me? They are generating the captions by entering text into a Google Docs Sheet and rendering them with the built-in captioner in vMix?
VA
valley
Do my eyes deceive me? They are generating the captions by entering text into a Google Docs Sheet and rendering them with the built-in captioner in vMix?

Correct.
JA
JAS84
Sky, speak BRITISH English please! BREAKING: UK plans to roll out vaccine by fall if trials successful

Last time I checked, we say Autumn here, not Fall.
MA
Markymark
JAS84 posted:
Sky, speak BRITISH English please! BREAKING: UK plans to roll out vaccine by fall if trials successful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rruJ0efT-EU

Last time I checked, we say Autumn here, not Fall.

Yes, it's one of our four weather series
DW
DavidWhitfield
Funnily enough, they've now renamed the video to replace 'fall' with 'autumn' after two of the top three comments also picked up on this and received a combined two thousand likes in less than twenty-four hours.

Quite an autumn from grace. (That was awful. Sorry!)
JAS84, JamesWorldNews and Gibsy1 gave kudos

Newer posts