TV Home Forum

BBC Four to become archive channel (p15)

Arts content moves to BBC2, BBC3 budget doubled (May 2020)

AM
Alfie Mulcahy (previously AlfieMulcahy) Meridian (South East) South East Today
I think the BBC may go down this route:

BBC ONE: Remains unchanged

BBC TWO: Replaces the simulcast of BBC News with content BBC FOUR currently airs.

BBC THREE: Merges with BBC FOUR

BBC FOUR: Gets merged with BBC THREE and airs a mixture of content from both of the previous channels.
Hello, I'm using WhatsApp
WL
W1LL Yorkshire Look North (E.Yorks & Lincs)

BBC FOUR: Gets merged with BBC THREE and airs a mixture of content from both of the previous channels.

About as appropriate as merging CBeebies with BBC Parliament.
JO
Jonny Tyne Tees Look North (North East)

Two Pints of Wagner
youtube
JA
james-2001 Central (East) East Midlands Today

To be fair, parliament is like a creche half the time.
KE
kernow

That has already happened to a certain extent though, as previously mentioned.

When BBC Three closed as a linear channel, some of the content moved to BBC Four, such as music programming (including Glastonbury, Eurovision, Radio 1's Big Weekend, etc), and occasional sports coverage.

I do agree however that not all BBC Three content would be suited to BBC Four, but there could be room for some carefully selected content to be added.
RU
russty_russ Anglia (West) Look East

BBC THOR? - Perfect for Winter programmes?
NA
natwel27 Meridian (South East) South East Today

We return to In the Night Garden in half an hour. Now on CBeebies, a Ministerial Broadcast from the Houses of Parliament.
PF
PFML84 UTV Newsline
Jonny posted:

Two Pints of Wagner

...and a Baga Chipz
RU
russty_russ Anglia (West) Look East
Mind you when the BBC Channel first launched back in 2002, its daytime output consisted of a number of hours of schools programmes. Who would think that now!
NL
Ne1L C Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)

BBC ONE: Remains unchanged

BBC TWO: Replaces the simulcast of BBC News with content BBC FOUR currently airs.

BBC THREE: Merges with BBC FOUR

Putting all the quips to one side BBC's Three and Four are about as far apart from each other in terms of target audiences and programming as its possible to get. I read on a similar thread regarding ITV and one idea was putting local news onto ITV 3.

Let's examine this in greater detail. Your idea would have BBC 4 content on both BBC 2 and the new "hybrid" BBC 3/4 (For the sake of argument I'll call it BBC Mix).

BBC 4-esque content would effectively have "1 and a half" channels to broadcast on where BBC 3 would be reduced to "half a station"

Where would the watershed be between BBC 3-esque and BBC-4esque programmes on "BBC Mix". Would it be a 50/50 split or would you have "This Country" followed by "Inspector Montalbano"?

I'm not being cruel or disparaging but to my mind such a setup would be inherently unfair to BBC 3 and its viewers as well as being a total mess in terms of who would show what.
Last edited by Ne1L C on 17 May 2020 5:27pm
AN
all new Phil Recently warned Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
Is that much different to BBC1 though?
NL
Ne1L C Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
Is that much different to BBC1 though?

I'm sorry. Is what much different to BBC1?

Newer posts