The Newsroom

BBC News: Presenters, correspondent & rotas

Split from BBC News: Presenters & Rotas (July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RN
Rolling News
Might make more sense if World showed a recorded version of the previous hour at 13:00 BST at weekends when the NC/BBC1 is showing the lunchtime news, which is full of 'good afternoon's.
KM
kman2020
dvboy posted:
What is happening today.

I flipped on BBC World at 0900 PDT and it was Kate Silverton presenting on schools reopening in the UK; the education minister had spoken earlier.

And at 1000 PDT, which is 1800 GMT, we have Rebecca Jones. Is this The Six? It wasn't identified as such.

Kate Silverton presented both the Daily Briefing special, which today was 15:50-17:20 BST, and the BBC Weekend News (BBC One bulletin) following. I assume Rebecca Jones has been on since 17:30.

Kate Silverton came on air at 15:50 (simulcast BBC News Channel and I assume BBC World & BBC One) until the end of the BBC Weekend News at very slightly after 17:32 and a half (which rounds to 17:35). She then gave a brief introduction to a Newsbeat documentary on the cancelled Eurovision Song Contest on the News Channel, which takes her nominally covering until 18:00. Rebecca Jones returned to air at 18:00 (to present the last hour of the normal 14:00-19:00 Saturday shift, albeit covered now for a significant time in between by the "BBC One" news presenter, which was Kate today, for the Coronavirus press conference). All times are British Summer Time (one hour ahead of GMT).

EDIT: It couldn't have been 18:00 GMT as that would be 19:00 BST which wasn't Rebecca Jones (instead onto Martine Croxall). Just checked - 10:00 PDT is 17:00 GMT which is currently 6pm/1800 in the UK therefore Rebecca Jones doing the final hour of the usual News Channel shift (in actuality just over 30 minutes until whatever programming is on just after 18:30 comes on). 9:00 PDT was 5pm UK local time, therefore after the Government press conference as they usually speak earlier than 5pm at weekends.

Hi ... sorry, I got the time zone terminology wrong on my earlier post, didn't realize that England was also on daylight savings time "BST" so my use of GMT was incorrect. I'll go edit the post.
OV
Orry Verducci
Okay, got it. There was an odd break at around the twenty minute mark. We received the countdown video, without a countdown clock, and then went back to Kate. But it wasn't identified as the start of a new bulletin, at least for us watching on World.

Breaks like this are normal on the News Channel here in the UK when they're joining a simulcast with BBC One. The countdown without the clock is used to fill the gap while they're waiting for BBC One to join them, so on this occasion News Channel would have been showing the same filler.

They don't usually introduce it as a new bulletin other than the usual "This is BBC News" line from the presenter before the headlines. BBC One does their own introduction before joining the news, News Channel treats it as a continuation of their rolling news programming.

Maybe because the Ten started a minute or so after 22:00 I'm not sure how World could fill a few seconds? Which is probably why they went with pre recorded material.

This may have been the case, but it doesn't sound quite right. News Channel would have also had a gap to fill waiting for BBC One to join, and I'd be surprised if News Channel didn't take the bulletin. I think the usual procedure for News Channel at least is to air extra promos and make use of the looping countdown without the clock, as mentioned above. I would have imagined World News would be similar, so my guess would be something else was going on. I may be wrong though.
IN
Independent
Might make more sense if World showed a recorded version of the previous hour at 13:00 BST at weekends when the NC/BBC1 is showing the lunchtime news, which is full of 'good afternoon's.

Most people wouldn't even notice or care about the greeting.
MI
m_in_m
4"]
Okay, got it. There was an odd break at around the twenty minute mark. We received the countdown video, without a countdown clock, and then went back to Kate. But it wasn't identified as the start of a new bulletin, at least for us watching on World.

Breaks like this are normal on the News Channel here in the UK when they're joining a simulcast with BBC One. The countdown without the clock is used to fill the gap while they're waiting for BBC One to join them, so on this occasion News Channel would have been showing the same filler.

They don't usually introduce it as a new bulletin other than the usual "This is BBC News" line from the presenter before the headlines. BBC One does their own introduction before joining the news, News Channel treats it as a continuation of their rolling news programming.

Maybe because the Ten started a minute or so after 22:00 I'm not sure how World could fill a few seconds? Which is probably why they went with pre recorded material.

This may have been the case, but it doesn't sound quite right. News Channel would have also had a gap to fill waiting for BBC One to join, and I'd be surprised if News Channel didn't take the bulletin. I think the usual procedure for News Channel at least is to air extra promos and make use of the looping countdown without the clock, as mentioned above. I would have imagined World News would be similar, so my guess would be something else was going on. I may be wrong though.

The playout of the two channels is quite different so was this part of the thinking. Also I wonder how early the decision was made. Eurovision frequently overrun and whilst that probably is largely due to to voting it may have been simpler to decide early on to repeat the last hour.

It may have looked strange on BBC World to go from their continuity into a countdown coming from the BBC News Channel before BBC One joined.
CM
cmthwtv
Clearly, simulcasts aren’t that simple. Confused
UK
UKNewsHound
When simulcasting, do we really need the awkward pause at 0:26 only for the presenter to look up and throw to a pre-recorded weather?

Go back 10+ years ago and News 24 was rolling news without any trace of a ‘close’ each hour. Now, we have them all the time with the One/Six/Ten as well as weekend bulletins.

The grammar of the channel has changed but simulcasts have stuck to the same principles that were in force during the Iraq war and 9-11.
NE
Newsroom
It's never going to be perfect, the presenters are never going to be perfect, the sync is never going to perfect.... A less complicated system might solve the issues though I doubt it.

Does anyone know how many different version of CNNi there are broadcast at any one time?
DE
deejay
When simulcasting, do we really need the awkward pause at 0:26 only for the presenter to look up and throw to a pre-recorded weather?

Go back 10+ years ago and News 24 was rolling news without any trace of a ‘close’ each hour. Now, we have them all the time with the One/Six/Ten as well as weekend bulletins.

The grammar of the channel has changed but simulcasts have stuck to the same principles that were in force during the Iraq war and 9-11.

How do you suggest it’s done then? Why should World just crash out without any form of close? Why should a rolling news channel have a close only to then continue? It’s a compromise at the moment because of the need to reduce the number of people working at NBH. It’s not perfect but it’s working really rather well.
DV
dvboy
The alternative is for the NC to go to the weather the same time World leaves the simulcast. That would mean longer weather and/or more trailers.
JW
JamesWorldNews

How do you suggest it’s done then? Why should World just crash out without any form of close? Why should a rolling news channel have a close only to then continue? It’s a compromise at the moment because of the need to reduce the number of people working at NBH. It’s not perfect but it’s working really rather well.

Spot-on!

In the grander scheme of things, I guess we can all live with a few awkward pauses here and there during the News, whilst remembering the whole purpose of the current simulcasts.

When I observed the same thing myself some weeks back, one of you was good enough to message me and remind me that “the BBC is hardly likely to change its opt policy just to satisfy us here at TV Forum because, let’s face it, we are the only people who even notice it or care about it”, or words to that effect! Lol.
NL
Ne1L C

Spot-on!

In the grander scheme of things, I guess we can all live with a few awkward pauses here and there during the News, whilst remembering the whole purpose of the current simulcasts.

When I observed the same thing myself some weeks back, one of you was good enough to message me and remind me that “the BBC is hardly likely to change its opt policy just to satisfy us here at TV Forum because, let’s face it, we are the only people who even notice it or care about it”, or words to that effect! Lol.

It's worth point out again that the BBC as a whole is trying to keep up with the greatest crisis that this country had experienced in 75 years and yes there are going to be slip-ups but as far as I'm concerned they are totally understandable and instantly forgivable.
AndrewPSSP, Custard56 and m_in_m gave kudos

Newer posts