TV Home Forum

BBC Four to become archive channel (p15)

Arts content moves to BBC2, BBC3 budget doubled (May 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
UPDATE 20/5: See page 15

According to tomorrow's Telegraph BBC4 will close later this year.

Some of it's budget will go to BBC3, already closed of course. To be honest if they close BBC4 I think it's time to scrap the BBC3/4 brands and maybe, hopefully, look at alternative options for a combined third linear primetime service, perhaps something more along the lines of 4Seven which focuses on repeated content.
Last edited by Brekkie on 20 May 2020 12:43pm - 3 times in total
ST
Stuart
BBC FOUR has a current budget of £54m, so I'm not sure how it can be 'losing £125m'. It's not as though it survives from advertising revenue.

I don't see a problem with it becoming on-line only, the same as BBC THREE, as that is the way the linear channels are heading.
DE
deejay
Not sure why the money ought to go to BBC Three, this could be a golden opportunity to reinvent BBC Two which has been slightly adrift for a few years now. A lot of BBC four strands would fit rather well on the channel.
JF
JetixFann450
Here's the problem with these new "OTT channels". They don't give the audience a reason to come back. Say, you are a viewer of [insert show here] and you devote your viewing to this show. Are you inclined to watch the rest of [insert OTT channel here] if you've already watched a show you know is different from the rest of the output? BBC Three have shown to be failing to keep it's viewership watching and I think the BBC are now realising this.
IT
itsrobert Founding member
Not sure why the money ought to go to BBC Three, this could be a golden opportunity to reinvent BBC Two which has been slightly adrift for a few years now. A lot of BBC four strands would fit rather well on the channel.

Absolutely agree - it should go full circle really. BBC One should be general entertainment and BBC Two should focus on arts, culture and current affairs.

The only potential problem with BBC Four going online is that its average viewership age of 62. Granted things have changed in 20 years but there still might be a decent chunk of those people who would struggle to engage with it online. Compared to the demographic of BBC Three who would potentially take that in their stride.
JO
Jonwo

Absolutely agree - it should go full circle really. BBC One should be general entertainment and BBC Two should focus on arts, culture and current affairs.

The only potential problem with BBC Four going online is that its average viewership age of 62. Granted things have changed in 20 years but there still might be a decent chunk of those people who would struggle to engage with it online. Compared to the demographic of BBC Three who would potentially take that in their stride.

BBC Two at the moment is a really good place, they're ahead of Channel 4 and I think stripping it of its hits like Great British Menu or Dragons Den would damage it in the long run.
Last edited by Jonwo on 13 May 2020 11:58pm
ToasterMan and Brekkie gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
For me BBC2 in primetime at least has been the channel of the year for the last couple of years with a really good mix of programmes. Now some BBC4 content would fit in rather seemlessly, but not everything - and if it's saving money then no point closing the channel in the first place.

If BBC4 goes completely though I don't get how BBC Scotland can continue to be justified.
Last edited by Brekkie on 14 May 2020 12:07am
PA
paul_hadley
I find myself watching BBC2 more and more so agreed.

A huge shame if BBC4 goes - it’s always a good go-to on a weekend for some top music programmes.

If it does go I agree it makes sense for BBC3 to go as a brand and simply just air online content under the iPlayer brand (which they kind of already do...). The “extra” programmes on BBC4 can be ingested into BBC2 and iPlayer.

In my experience (although I’m likely not the demographic) I only watch BBC3 shows when they get their BBC1 airing, but that’s another matter.
BR
Brekkie
Interestingly Normal People, supposedly BBC3's newest biggest hit, has reportedly done very well online (but not sure how the figures quoted translate into an average rating), but on BBC1 they've rated quite poorly, though I suspect it was never intended for 9pm.

Personally I recorded the BBC1 airing with the intention of boxsetting the rest considering how good people said it was - and then I watched it and realised it didn't live up to the hype so letting it continue on series link and may or may not continue with it.

I do much prefer recording series to using On Demand services where I can. I actually find the iPlayer really annoying now for how they treat the end of shows - they basically use a full screen ECP nowadays which really irritates me.
Night Thoughts and richard h gave kudos
JA
james-2001
I actually find the iPlayer really annoying now for how they treat the end of shows - they basically use a full screen ECP nowadays which really irritates me.

You can turn that off by going into settings and turning off Autoplay.
RD
rdd Founding member
It is being promoted to death by RTÉ for its airings on RTÉ One, despite not even being an RTÉ commission (though you wouldn’t think it from the amount of promotion through their website, other programming and even a discussion on Liveline(!) they are giving it).
CB
ChipperBird
BBC4's purpose over the past few years seems to be music docs, hosting the annual TOTP history documentary, Eurovision semi-finals and being the home for the weekly TOTP repeats. That's mostly it. The rest of the time it's an ignored channel - I rarely hear of anyone talking about BBC 4 outside of TOTP.

Also honestly - don't underestimate the over 60's. Many I know have been starting to use streaming services more often - and even giving up traditional TV packages to switch to ones with more of a focus on streaming services.

It doesn't help that BBC One and Two don't have super strong line ups at the moment. So my feeling would be that if they can free up money and focus to revitalise the branding for One and give Two some more solid programming. Then losing Four is worth it. That's my two pennies worth anyway.
Rijowhi, Big-G and what gave kudos

Newer posts