The Newsroom

BBC News: Presenters, correspondent & rotas

Split from BBC News: Presenters & Rotas (July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BG
Big-G
I can remember when Danny Baker took over the Saturday morning slot from DLT. Danny played some great records that wasn't on the playlist and he also had phone ins with crazy stories from the listeners. I did like Simon Mayo on the breakfast show, but I thought Chris Evans brought something new to Radio 1. I can remember one morning Chris playing nearly every song from Oasis's What's the Story Morning Glory album.

G
CI
cityprod
Radio 1 in the early 90s was bad. You had the likes of Bates and Dave Lee Travis who had delivery more suited to the parents of the target audience, while there were some highlights like Mayo on Breakfast, the output was nowhere as good as Capital in London who had tightly targeted the output for R1's demo while R1 would still have the Electric Light Orchestra as a recurrent.

"...delivery more suited to the parents of the target audience..." This is what gets me about the whole Radio 1 cull. The idea that these people weren't talking like the "yoof" of that time. That whole idea was complete and utter bullcrap. Nobody in my agegroup talked "yoof". That was a fallacy, a fantasy, a myth, and frankly, the whole "yoof" idea was a stereotype, that didn't even actually exist.
IS
Inspector Sands

Emily Maitliss is the obvious transfer from BBC London to the national news scene, though that is now 14 years ago.

Though she went from Sky News to BBC London
RE
reubz
Just watched 2 people walking together in the newsroom on News at Ten. Chances of them living in the same household?
RN
Rolling News
reubz posted:
Just watched 2 people walking together in the newsroom on News at Ten. Chances of them living in the same household?

Do you mean these two (circled in blue)?

JW
JamesWorldNews
When we came out of PM Statement the other evening on BBC1 before continuing on World and News Channel, in the aerial shot of the newsroom on exit there was a gentleman seated in the bottom right hand of the shot, looked like a guest awaiting collection.

Someone walked towards him and he instinctively stood up and extended his hand to greet someone else. We call it a “near miss” in the aviation world. 🤣

=====

To make you smile: a colleague at home a few days ago, lives with his sister and elderly mother. TV was on in the background. BBC World News.

Sister: “When did Alan Carr start reading the news?”

It was James Reynolds. And she was being deadly serious. 🙈
JO
Jonwo
Radio 1 in the early 90s was bad. You had the likes of Bates and Dave Lee Travis who had delivery more suited to the parents of the target audience, while there were some highlights like Mayo on Breakfast, the output was nowhere as good as Capital in London who had tightly targeted the output for R1's demo while R1 would still have the Electric Light Orchestra as a recurrent.

You knew things were bad at Radio 1 in the the early 90s when it was being parodied by Harry Enfield with Smashie and Nicey.
LL
London Lite Founding member
Jonwo posted:

You knew things were bad at Radio 1 in the the early 90s when it was being parodied by Harry Enfield with Smashie and Nicey.

Smashie and Nicey felt like a parody of equally awful independent local radio as well as the dinosaurs who roamed the Egton House plain.
DE
deejay
ILR in the early 90s was so very different to what it is now but the first steps to the merged nothingness we have now had begun with “The Better Music Mix” being rolled out across stations as they were rebranded “The New [insert ILR station name here]”

As formats on commercial radio were nailed unceremoniously down audiences grew (especially with people who had been orphaned by the axing of all the Nations Favourites on Radio 1.)

But then as Britpop became totally in towards the latter half of the 90s, Radio 1 found its feet again and appealed to the audience it was supposed to have appealed to all along.

ANYWAY.

this is all a massive off topic swerve here and I daresay we ought to get back to trying to work out the presenter rota 😂
RN
Rolling News
I think I've worked out the presenter rota if anyone is interested Razz
RN
Rolling News
When we came out of PM Statement the other evening on BBC1 before continuing on World and News Channel, in the aerial shot of the newsroom on exit there was a gentleman seated in the bottom right hand of the shot, looked like a guest awaiting collection.

Someone walked towards him and he instinctively stood up and extended his hand to greet someone else. We call it a “near miss” in the aviation world. 🤣

=====

To make you smile: a colleague at home a few days ago, lives with his sister and elderly mother. TV was on in the background. BBC World News.

Sister: “When did Alan Carr start reading the news?”

It was James Reynolds. And she was being deadly serious. 🙈

Would confuse a lot of people if James Reynolds got promoted to nationals!
CM
cmthwtv
I understand that wikipedia isn’t exactly the most reliable but it says that Huw Edwards occasionally presents the One (for special events etc) in his role of Chief Presenter for BBC News. When is the last time he has done this? I can not remember a single time he has done.

Newer posts