The Newsroom

The ITN Nostalgia Thread

ITN and ITV News Memories (May 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JK
JKDerry

Just the camera positioning playing tricks with you, it is the same floor for both years

Not sure about that. Pretty advanced trickery if they managed to cut out a floor from the 1992 pan. The breakout space with the tree, on the floor above the studio, is definitely not the first floor.

Yeah, LondonViewer is right, it definitely moved down one floor in about 1993/4. I'd love to know why, though. It seems a strange decision to just relocate it directly below. Even the newsroom must have moved.

Sorry, no the newsroom has not moved, it is in the same floor
JK
JKDerry
Not sure about that. Pretty advanced trickery if they managed to cut out a floor from the 1992 pan. The breakout space with the tree, on the floor above the studio, is definitely not the first floor.

No, it is the same floor. It is just the camera is positioned to not showing the floor below.

Count the floors from the top of the building - in 1993 it's 7 floors down and in 1994 it's 8 floors down.

Again, I say it is just part of how the camera placing was put between 1992 and 1994. Both intros are different, as ITN decided the better opening shot was the 1994 revision.
BA
bilky asko
Never understood why the ITV car park set desk had a green panel on it - was it ever anything other than yellow on screen?

I think the side panel was super imposed, because usually in the pan shots there was a very odd moment when the green panel used to suddenly lift off.

I am certain this wasn't intentional but was a side-effect of the method used. Though I think someone - I can't remember who, presumably an insider - denied it was the case, and said it was on purpose - despite how bad it looked.
LV
LondonViewer
No, it is the same floor. It is just the camera is positioned to not showing the floor below.

Count the floors from the top of the building - in 1993 it's 7 floors down and in 1994 it's 8 floors down.

Again, I say it is just part of how the camera placing was put between 1992 and 1994. Both intros are different, as ITN decided the better opening shot was the 1994 revision.

Did you watch the two clips? How can you say it’s the same floor??
IT
itsrobert Founding member

I think we'd better just accept it's the same floor....even though it obviously isn't.
JK
JKDerry
Never understood why the ITV car park set desk had a green panel on it - was it ever anything other than yellow on screen?

I think the side panel was super imposed, because usually in the pan shots there was a very odd moment when the green panel used to suddenly lift off.

I am certain this wasn't intentional but was a side-effect of the method used. Though I think someone - I can't remember who, presumably an insider - denied it was the case, and said it was on purpose - despite how bad it looked.

It did look bad. I felt the 2009-2013 look was just too virtual. There has to be a little room there for some reality, and blur the two together. The 2009 look didn't achieve that, as it was just a desk plonked in the middle of a green world. It is very similar to how the ITV News Channel in 2004 to 2005 used to use Studio 1 for the times when ITV News Channel were kicked out of Studio 2 when the national bulletins had to rehearse. They managed a decent job in recreating the Theatre of News set, but you could always tell it was in the complete green screen environment of Studio 1 and not the curved green videowall of Studio 2.
JK
JKDerry

I think we'd better just accept it's the same floor....even though it obviously isn't.

This is my opinion, and unless I can ask someone who works at ITN, then I assume it is the same floor. There is more to life than arguing about which floor is which at ITN
IT
These photos should help to clear up floorgate.

So, if we accept that Studio 3/4 was on the ground floor - which is where I saw it with my own eyes - then if you look at the first photo above, you can clearly see the initial studio was on the first floor. Look behind John Suchet over his right shoulder and you can make out the revolving doors on the floor below - the ground floor.

And if you count up from the basement in the second photo - basement, lower ground, ground, first - so the original Studio 3 was on the first floor. When I visited in more recent times, it was on the ground floor.

So it moved down a floor.
LV
LondonViewer
Think that’s cleared it up!
JKDerry, Stuart and itsrobert gave kudos
BU
buster
As a side note, I was told a story once by a colleague in 200 GIR that those a piece of those hanging art installations came unstuck in the early 00s and went crashing down several floors into the basement just missing a weather presenter eating lunch in the basement, which by then was the canteen. The whole thing was taken down pretty sharpish.
bilky asko, chris and itsrobert gave kudos
IT
Talking of Studio 3 there are some great videos on YouTube, such as the one below, of rolling coverage of the Gulf War from January 1991. They show the studio in its very earliest, quite primitive stages.

BA
bilky asko
I like how they add the ITN logo above the CNN one - except it was aligned the the usual CNN DOG and not the CNN Live one, so it quickly fades out, and back in alignment.

Newer posts