TV Home Forum

Coronation Street

Costa & Coop p68: Repeats on ITV3: Are there too many spoilers? (June 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RO
robertclark125
Aye, us!
BR
Brekkie
Absolutely- an EPG is virtually useless for finding out quickly at a glance what new content is on in the next week.
JA
JAS84
I don't buy a TV guide specifically - but I do read the ones that come in the weekend newspapers!
JE
Jez Founding member
Do people still buy TV Guides?

Obviously as they wouldn't sell thousands of copies otherwise Smile

I get Whats on TV as I like to have a tv guide for quick reference to tv listings without having to look online etc. I don't read the rest of it in depth, just a quick scan through. I sometimes read the articles in the soap guide (Corrie and Emmerdale only) if something grabs my interest. I also like reading the letters page at the back. For 75p a week its worth it. I wouldn't pay £3 for the Radio Times.
BR
Brekkie
Yes, it's only What's on TV or TV Choice for me (10p cheaper now than What's on TV!) for exactly the same reason as yourself - and frankly I think the listings themselves are better than TV Times and Radio Times in most respects. TV TImes really is a sad shadow of it's former self and to be honest I'm surprised it has survived - of the premium end of the market I prefer Total TV Guide, and you basically get their listings pages in TV Choice anyway.
DJ
DJGM
When my dad was still alive (passed away last November, aged 83) I used to buy Total TV Guide, partly because (as I recall) it rarely featured soap opera related stuff on the front cover, he found the listings better than TV Times or the Radio Times, and given his age, eyesight, and general technophobia, he couldn't easily navigate an on screen EPG.

(The last time my dad enjoyed Corrie, Annie Walker was still running the Rovers Return!)
Last edited by DJGM on 13 May 2020 11:56am
TVViewer256 and JamesWorldNews gave kudos
PE
peterh
They might get some to air if they get back in June which some have as a date for returning
PE
peterh
Is what they say apparently
JE
Jez Founding member
Yes, it's only What's on TV or TV Choice for me (10p cheaper now than What's on TV!) for exactly the same reason as yourself - and frankly I think the listings themselves are better than TV Times and Radio Times in most respects. TV TImes really is a sad shadow of it's former self and to be honest I'm surprised it has survived - of the premium end of the market I prefer Total TV Guide, and you basically get their listings pages in TV Choice anyway.

I sometimes get TV Choice for a change but prefer Whats on TV - for 10p more there is a lot more in Whats on TV. Not that long ago I used to get one of the soap magazines a fortnight (usually Soaplife) as well but a while before Soaplife closed down I stopped getting it as just found it a waste of money, not because of the content but pretty much everything you needed to know was in Whats on TV or online anyway. A few tv magazines closed down like TV Easy, TV Quick etc. Like you im also surprised TV Times hasn't.
Last edited by Jez on 12 May 2020 10:14pm - 2 times in total
BR
Brekkie
Yes, I usually get What's on TV but not always been able to get it at our local shop lately. Is tiring though how reliant they are on the soaps for their covers, and often even from week to week the covers can be the same characters just cut and paste slightly differently. Indeed hasn't one been using the same photoshoot of the Carters in EastEnders for 2-3 years for their Christmas editions.

Back to Corrie and I think a massive advantage of the slowed down airing is stories get a bit more time to breathe - a story which may have had the focus for one double episode now has the focus for most the week, and they got lucky with their biggest cliffhanger for quite some time happening on a Friday.

Where are we up to now in theory in terms of episodes airing this week and the dates they should have been airing?
AN
Andrew Founding member
Last night was Friday 17th April 7:30 episode

So this Friday there will probably be a plot about Asha, Amy etc going back to school after the easter holidays!
JE
Jez Founding member
Yes, I usually get What's on TV but not always been able to get it at our local shop lately. Is tiring though how reliant they are on the soaps for their covers, and often even from week to week the covers can be the same characters just cut and paste slightly differently. Indeed hasn't one been using the same photoshoot of the Carters in EastEnders for 2-3 years for their Christmas editions.

Back to Corrie and I think a massive advantage of the slowed down airing is stories get a bit more time to breathe - a story which may have had the focus for one double episode now has the focus for most the week, and they got lucky with their biggest cliffhanger for quite some time happening on a Friday.

Where are we up to now in theory in terms of episodes airing this week and the dates they should have been airing?

It is nice to see a better variety of covers on TV Choice and Whats on TV in recent years however. A decade or so ago it was EastEnders nearly every week, certainly on Whats on TV with the occasional Corrie cover. Emmerdale never got a look in for several years. Now it is more even between the 3 soaps. Still the case at Christmas although one year Whats on TV did put Michelle and Steve from Corrie on the cover Surprised

I agree, 3 episodes a week has certainly improved the pace of Corrie. Things are now not so rushed. It helps that Corrie for the most part is always 2 double episodes which means we often get decent cliffhangers.

Emmerdale on the other hand seems more dragged out, with it supposed to have 3 single and 2 double episodes a week, but it isn't anywhere near as good as Corrie at the moment IMO, certainly nowhere near good enough for 7 episodes.

Newer posts