The Newsroom

BBC News: Presenters, correspondent & rotas

Split from BBC News: Presenters & Rotas

RN
Rolling News Central (East) East Midlands Today
I like Clive too. Very smooth operator and seems like a nice guy too. Also someone who has built himself up gradually over the last 10 years from doing weekend evenings on the News Channel, to getting the Papers and covering other weekday shifts, to doing BBC One weekend bulletins, to doing the One before eventually doing the Six and Ten. That’s what I call a career path!

Also his many years of reporting from the field more than qualifies him to anchor on location during massive events.
beebnewsfan and SuperSajuuk gave kudos
CH
chris Granada North West Today
The likes of Sophie Raworth and Fiona Bruce would be unlikely to take a full-time role on the 6 or 10, because quite frankly they’ve moved on from that. They’re all over the BBC in a variety of formats, more so than the others.

Mishal Hussain is a great shout.
IT
itsrobert Founding member Granada North West Today
Was Trevor ever at the helm of a breaking news situation where he had to go off script a lot? As much as he had gravitas reading a bulletin, I really can't imagine him handling an active, rolling story.

Trevor's strength lay in the authority he brought to a pre-prepared, scripted bulletin. He did occasionally anchor bulletins on location, such as from Washington or the Middle East during the 1991 and 2003 Gulf Wars. And he did the odd newsflash and special event, like Diana's death, 9/11, Royal weddings etc. But when it came to an open-ender format, e.g. the outbreak of the Gulf War in 1991, Diana's death in 1997 or the Iraq bombings in 1998, it tended to fall to people like John Suchet or Dermot Murnaghan to anchor the rolling coverage.

I believe when the ITN News Channel launched in 2000, many newscasters were given the option to take up a role on it. Some jumped at it, like John Suchet. But others turned it down. I can only imagine that Trevor turned it down if he was asked - I couldn't see him handling rolling news very well. It just wasn't his strength.
JL
JamesLaverty1925 Central (East) East Midlands Today
Was Trevor ever at the helm of a breaking news situation where he had to go off script a lot? As much as he had gravitas reading a bulletin, I really can't imagine him handling an active, rolling story.

Trevor's strength lay in the authority he brought to a pre-prepared, scripted bulletin. He did occasionally anchor bulletins on location, such as from Washington or the Middle East during the 1991 and 2003 Gulf Wars. And he did the odd newsflash and special event, like Diana's death, 9/11, Royal weddings etc. But when it came to an open-ender format, e.g. the outbreak of the Gulf War in 1991, Diana's death in 1997 or the Iraq bombings in 1998, it tended to fall to people like John Suchet or Dermot Murnaghan to anchor the rolling coverage.

I believe when the ITN News Channel launched in 2000, many newscasters were given the option to take up a role on it. Some jumped at it, like John Suchet. But others turned it down. I can only imagine that Trevor turned it down if he was asked - I couldn't see him handling rolling news very well. It just wasn't his strength.

I've read before Trevor had it written in his contract that he didn't have to present on the ITV News Channel. Indeed, I think he was the only ITN presenter (for ITV News programmes) who didn't appear.

Funnily enough, part of the reason Dermot Murnaghan jumped ship to the BBC was because he didn't want to present on the news channel, but after a few years at Breakfast he'd obviously changed his mind when moving to Sky.
AN
all new Phil Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
The BBC has many perfectly good newscasters, sure. But future stars with the gravitas to be their main face? Not so sure.
NJ
news junkie Central Reporting Scotland
The BBC has many perfectly good newscasters, sure. But future stars with the gravitas to be their main face? Not so sure.

Although, is that not based on the shape of the bulletins at the moment? What’s to say people like Tina Daheley, Christian Fraser or Ros Atkins wouldn’t be the perfect fit?
JF
JF World News West Country (East) Points West
chris posted:
The likes of Sophie Raworth and Fiona Bruce would be unlikely to take a full-time role on the 6 or 10, because quite frankly they’ve moved on from that. They’re all over the BBC in a variety of formats, more so than the others.

Mishal Hussain is a great shout.

Mishal presents the Today programme on Radio 4 and does documentaries for BBC World News. if she did move to the Six would she return to Impact too? maybe she could do Monday – Wednesday doing Impact/Six with Yalda doing Thursday–Friday?
JW
JamesWorldNews Central World News
Christian Fraser, Clive Myrie, Mishal Husain, Sophie Raworth - all have bags of gravitas. As does everyone (almost) who appears on BBC News at 1, 6 and 10.
@JamesWorldNews | #StayHomeSaveLives
SW
Steve Williams
It was rare for Trevor to operate outside of a structured bulletin. But, he could do if necessary. No doubt.

Going back to BBC and Clive: totally agree with everyone here. He’s been out on the road for years and that, for me, lends so much than just sitting behind a desk and reading.

As you mention, all of the above have similar experiences in their own respective fields.

ITN deliberately made a point of alternating people between presenting and reporting, to emphasise to the audience that they weren't just reading a script but had credibility and experience. Some didn't enjoy it much, though, I know Michael Nicholson said he didn't really like newsreading and was always itching to get back to reporting. But as you say, Trevor McDonald had vast experience as a reporter before he became the main anchor.

I remember an interview with John Suchet at the time saying he jumped at the chance to go on the ITN News Channel because he was convinced the future of news was rolling news, and had been desperate to ITN to launch a channel.
JL
JamesLaverty1925 Central (East) East Midlands Today
It was rare for Trevor to operate outside of a structured bulletin. But, he could do if necessary. No doubt.

Going back to BBC and Clive: totally agree with everyone here. He’s been out on the road for years and that, for me, lends so much than just sitting behind a desk and reading.

As you mention, all of the above have similar experiences in their own respective fields.

ITN deliberately made a point of alternating people between presenting and reporting, to emphasise to the audience that they weren't just reading a script but had credibility and experience. Some didn't enjoy it much, though, I know Michael Nicholson said he didn't really like newsreading and was always itching to get back to reporting. But as you say, Trevor McDonald had vast experience as a reporter before he became the main anchor.

I remember an interview with John Suchet at the time saying he jumped at the chance to go on the ITN News Channel because he was convinced the future of news was rolling news, and had been desperate to ITN to launch a channel.

Suchet had presented ITN's all nighter for the start of the Gulf War, which you could probably argue was the first case of rolling news on terrestial TV. He talks about it in the Newsflash documentary and he seemed to enjoy the adrenaline rush.
BB
BBI45 Central (East) East Midlands Today

Suchet had presented ITN's all nighter for the start of the Gulf War, which you could probably argue was the first case of rolling news on terrestial TV. He talks about it in the Newsflash documentary and he seemed to enjoy the adrenaline rush.

For anybody who hasn't seen it:

And of course, the thing you must not do if the ape is enraged is the Macarena.
AN
all new Phil Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)

Although, is that not based on the shape of the bulletins at the moment? What’s to say people like Tina Daheley, Christian Fraser or Ros Atkins wouldn’t be the perfect fit?

Actually I take it back. Victoria Derbyshire. Probably one of the best and most human presenters there is right now, across all channels.

Newer posts

No further posts are being accepted for this topic