TV Home Forum

BBC Three New Logo

(January 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JF
JetixFann450

The new BBC Three logo is now being used on programmes.
ST
Stuart
After all the hype about Reith being a money-saving measure, I'm surprised they expanded the 'tricon' to be in FIN. Wouldn't it have been possible to use Reith Condensed Bold?

I notice that the expanded logo isn't being used on the Sky version of iPlayer, it's still just the 'tricon'.
DO
dosxuk
Logos generally aren't a cost point when it comes to fonts, because the delivered item it the logo, not the typeface.

The copyright / licencing for fonts is based around the code to create the letter shapes, not the output pixels.
ST
Stuart
Logos generally aren't a cost point when it comes to fonts, because the delivered item it the logo, not the typeface.

The copyright / licencing for fonts is based around the code to create the letter shapes, not the output pixels.

Thanks for that explanation. However, I was wondering about why the other guidelines for BBC Three stipulate Arial, rather than Reith, as they accept that FIN wasn't ideal . . .
PF
PFML84
Even going by the above, why Arial and not Reith for small text?
MD
mdtauk
Arial and Fin were the fonts picked when the BBC Three brand changed to the previous branding, so they seem to have decided not to change the fonts, when changing the logo
JF
JetixFann450
Arial and Fin were the fonts picked when the BBC Three brand changed to the previous branding, so they seem to have decided not to change the fonts, when changing the logo

It's also possibly because Arial is commonly associated with the internet as the default font on many sites. That, and it probably makes it easier for them to re-use content from say, 2016. (I still see BBC Three post stuff with the tagline "RTS Channel of the Year 2017", bizarrely)
JF
JetixFann450
Although unrelated to the branding of BBC Three and it's new logo, here's something really strange I recently discovered on one of the servers I run on Discord:

I have a bot on Discord called MEE6 setup to post new Tweets and uploads from BBC Three's Twitter feed and YouTube channel, and for some strange reason it seemingly posted an ominous link with the generic title of "BBC Three Live Stream". I was assuming this had something to do with the Normal People Q&A that was streamed back when the show was launched, but because that was a few weeks ago and not recently in May, something does tell me that the BBC are currently trying to "test the waters" for a BBC Three live-stream and to bring BBC Three back to a linear schedule. These videos were deleted and/or privated from the channel, I checked. Possibly the deleted ones are failed tests and the private one only works for internal BBC employees.

Or it's possibly an error, either or, it's strange and weird. But if it's an error, why did it happen again on the 7th of May?
Last edited by JetixFann450 on 11 May 2020 10:26am
JF
JetixFann450

Little bit of an update, the streams now have a "Normal People" thumbnail, however I believe it could simply be a default image set by BBC Three, as it simply doesn't contain the big "BBC Three" square. I'm hoping this isn't BBC Three ending up resorting to a NP clipshow stream which Channel 4 are known to do.
BI
bitxoin

Little bit of an update, the streams now have a "Normal People" thumbnail, however I believe it could simply be a default image set by BBC Three, as it simply doesn't contain the big "BBC Three" square. I'm hoping this isn't BBC Three ending up resorting to a NP clipshow stream which Channel 4 are known to do.

I think it's just whatever their cover photo is, it's nothing to do with streaming.
AP
AndrewPSSP
!rank !

I wonder how successful it would be if the BBC did try to run a linear channel purely on-line. I can't really see the point because wouldn't the content be on the iPlayer already? 🤔
Josh and JetixFann450 gave kudos
JF
JetixFann450
!rank !

I wonder how successful it would be if the BBC did try to run a linear channel purely on-line. I can't really see the point because wouldn't the content be on the iPlayer already? 🤔

I think it would be successful for premieres of new shows, since I'd imagine viewers are more likely to tune in to the stream to watch the series as it's being streamed. Plus, with the content BBC3 already has, you could easily make a week of content + older BBC Three archive material to intice viewers. It basically just means that the BBC could easily experiment with a new stream of content and to keep in line with how the internet now basically works (most viewers are now watching "streamers" on platforms such as Twitch and YouTube)

Whether or not it will work is completely dependent on how dedicated the BBC are with the idea. Again, it is cost effective and doesn't require a TV space but it may require somewhat of an upkeep and maintenence just so that it doesn't randomly explode at 4:32am while the controllers have gone to bed.

Newer posts