TV Home Forum

BBC Oneness - idents and presentation

"Watch this space" as BBC Creative respond to ident change request (December 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
Markymark
BBC Four aired a new black and white show, Jazz 625, last year which was repeated on Friday, the first they claim since the 70s. It was in widescreen though and just looked really odd.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0004nrl
https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2019/jazz-625

<rubbishjoke>

Shouldn’t that have been Jazz 1080?

</rubbishjoke>

To be pedantic, it should be Jazz 1125, or you need to refer to the original series as Jazz 576
VM
VMPhil
Anyone know how Darkest Hour did in the ratings last night? (BBC One, 7.30-9.30).
CA
Cando
Anyone know how Darkest Hour did in the ratings last night? (BBC One, 7.30-9.30).

4.8m
BR
Brekkie
That's very decent considering the subject matter.
VM
VMPhil
Thank you Cando. Pretty decent rating for a film, right? I like the film myself, apart from the train scene, which I found really OTT and cloyingly sentimental when I saw it in the cinema, and my opinion didn’t change after watching it again on Saturday.
MA
Markymark
Thank you Cando. Pretty decent rating for a film, right? I like the film myself, apart from the train scene, which I found really OTT and cloyingly sentimental when I saw it in the cinema, and my opinion didn’t change after watching it again on Saturday.

The radio speech scene amused me, thank goodness the BBC Home Service didn't have silence detectors and an emergency tape in 1940
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member
Yeah, that scene on the tube is awful and unbelievably mawkish in a way that suddenly turns an interesting historical film into a fantasy. Aside from the cheesy dialogue of that scene, having Churchill delighted to be in the company of the multiracial working class is a strange bit of sugarcoating.
VM
VMPhil

The radio speech scene amused me, thank goodness the BBC Home Service didn't have silence detectors and an emergency tape in 1940

There are a lot of historical inaccuracies according to Wiki, like being able to hear his speeches live from parliament on the radio, live broadcasts from parliament not happening for several decades. But hey it’s a film.
CA
Cando
Thank you Cando. Pretty decent rating for a film, right? .

Yes very decent for it. I think Paddington 2 and Spectre are the only live action films to better that it in recent years.
MA
Markymark

There are a lot of historical inaccuracies according to Wiki, like being able to hear his speeches live from parliament on the radio, live broadcasts from parliament not happening for several decades. But hey it’s a film.

Oh yes, that one sailed past me 🤦‍♂️ It shouldn't have done, I can remember the first ever radio broadcast, 1975 I think?
WH
what
Design Week did an article on the new idents:
https://www.designweek.co.uk/issues/4-9-may-2020/bbc-one-idents-lockdown/

Of particular note is this:
Quote:
According to Jonathan Hopper, the BBC’s media scheduling lead, the idents are seen by 34m viewers a week.

I don't know about you, but if this was how my brand was being represented in front of over 30m people, I would be seriously embarrassed.
natwel27 and Brekkie gave kudos
JO
Jonny

Quote from the BBC One channel controller in that article:

Quote:
Responding to the mood of the nation is what BBC One can uniquely do

1. I respectfully disagree with the accuracy of that statement.

2. In any case, should this really be the primary role of a channel ident , usurping consistent and clear brand identity?

I worry basic fundamentals have been forgotten here.

Newer posts