The Newsroom

ITV News

Split from ITV News 2013 Rebrand (January 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
PH
Philheybrookbay
Replacing News at Ten with Good Evening Britain would be a nice thing. Something completely different to the BBC News at Ten, in a format similar to the morning version. Make it an hour long, get two short regional bulletins, more interviews with newsmakers and maybe even time for a competition.

Because when I've finished work at 930pm which normally happens, I drive home to watch a competition and an hyperactive Pier Morgan?

Ridiculous idea. I want news.
SL
Shaun Linden
Replacing News at Ten with Good Evening Britain would be a nice thing. Something completely different to the BBC News at Ten, in a format similar to the morning version. Make it an hour long, get two short regional bulletins, more interviews with newsmakers and maybe even time for a competition.

Because when I've finished work at 930pm which normally happens, I drive home to watch a competition and an hyperactive Pier Morgan?

Ridiculous idea. I want news.

Very Happy Obviously its something that's never going to happen, and who mentioned Piers, I didn't? As Piers says though about GMB, we're doing it differently here, what's the point about being the same as the other side?
BR
Brekkie

No.
chevron, GMc and Jonwo gave kudos
RD
RDJ

You do know the whole point in having multiple regional bulletins on GMB is that people catch the show at whichever point before they leave for work. You aren't supposed to watch the full show.

Why would you need two regional bulletins at 10 O' Clock at night?!
SL
Shaun Linden
RDJ posted:

You do know the whole point in having multiple regional bulletins on GMB is that people catch the show at whichever point before they leave for work. You aren't supposed to watch the full show.

Why would you need two regional bulletins at 10 O' Clock at night?!

Padding dear, padding. Look like you're giving more than you actually are.
:-(
A former member
In all honesty I don’t think moving Piers to News at Ten (and extending it) is that far-fetched an idea. If Tom Bradby were to move on I imagine he’d be the favourite to replace him.
JO
Jonwo
I think Piers would find News at Ten way too restrictive a format and it would still be beaten by BBC News
BA
bilky asko
In all honesty I don’t think moving Piers to News at Ten (and extending it) is that far-fetched an idea. If Tom Bradby were to move on I imagine he’d be the favourite to replace him.

Nonsense.
BF
BFGArmy
Only on TVF would you get people seriously suggesting you replace an iconic programme like News At Ten (despite it not being the flagship it once was) with a show that rarely gets above a million viewers.

And even ignoring how Piers Morgan would be a totally ridiculous and inappropriate choice, the last time he was given a primetime news show replacing a wellknown show (CNN/Larry King Live) it led to historically low ratings for that channel.
BF
BFGArmy
Although I'm now going to come in with one or two controversial views.

First of all I quite liked the 'car park of news' era (2009-13). Yes it wasn't necessarily the most pleasing on the eye but I thought it had a real gravitas/authority to it that maybe the lunchtime & evening news of years pruor didn't.
The theme tune was an instant earworm, I liked the return and that iteration of 'The Voice of God' and I hadn't much liked the 'theatre of news' beforehand and its oddly shaped newswall. I thought 'the pillars of news' during the title sequence too was quite a nice idea and it's a shame they dropped that for the generic images they use in the titles these days.

There was real drama to how the news was presented around then as in 'sit up this is important' but without descending into the melodrama/tabloidesque style that ITV News had in the mid-Noughties where you'd have Geraint Vincent yelling 'Bye Bye Beckham' (which isn't menat as a critique of Geraint - it's the sort of line/content any newscaster would struggle with).

Though another controversial view - the 2001-04 version of the ITV News theme doesn't get enough love. Again it instantly catches your attention in a way I feel the current look and music doesn't.
During that great 'Newsflash,Stories That Shaped The World' documentary from a few years back they cover the Queen Mother's Death and that theme really does have an epic feel to it and you imagine how chaotic that situation must have been - that music reaching a crescendo in the background and probably all manner of chaos in the gallery as Mary Nightingale is told she'll be back on air any minute to announce the Queen Mother's death.
JK
JKDerry
Interesting to look back at ITN News on ITV 30 years ago and see how in 2020 the cut backs to ITV News especially in regional news has been severe.

TV-am was a separate entity on its own from 6.00am - 9.25am, having their own news productions (which would be closed down in January 1992 once they knew they lost their franchise, with news production contracted out to Sky News for 1992).

In 1990 there was - ITN Morning News from 5.00am to 6.00am. ITN News at 12.30 running from 12.30 to 1.20. ITN News at 5.40 - 6.00. ITN News at Ten from 10.00 to 10.30. ITN News Summaries at 10.55am and two summaries over night.

Local News of 1990 ITV was 9.55am - 10.00am, 11.55am - 12.00pm, 1.20pm - 1.30pm, 3.25pm - 3.30pm. Regions left to decide when to air their half hour or sometimes one hour local news from 6.00pm - 7.00pm and then the late news at 10.30pm.

Yes, this was an era before 24 hour news with only Sky News available as a home grown 24 hour news channel at the time, with no online news, but 30 years a go, there seems to be more news content on ITV both national and local than in 2020 which is sad.
:-(
A former member
Cut backs vs rationalisation.

Newer posts