The Newsroom

BBC News: Presenters, correspondent & rotas

Split from BBC News: Presenters & Rotas (July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CM
cmthwtv
Clive Myrie presenting the lunchtime bulletin - Ben Brown was on the NC. I’ll assume he is doing the evening news and Huw will do the Ten later on.
NE
News96
Yep-My guess is Clive was supposed to doing this evening's bulletins before Boris's Statement was announced-So at a guess i'm guessing Clive will do Early Evening as well before handing over to Huw for both the Statment and The Ten later.
IT
itsrobert Founding member
Don’t forget Adrian Finighan and Peter Coe we’re both business presenters on BBC World. Both moved on to become news presenters on the channel as well.

If my memory serves, Peter Dobbie was with WSTV since approx 1993.

Mike Embley began regular secondments to BBC World late in 1995, if I recall correctly. He and his regional partner, Gwennan Edwards, used to take it in turns to move over to BBC World for additional cover, mostly late evenings and weekends. When one would be at World, the other would be back in the region and would alternate weeks at a time. There were some periods during early 1997 when both appeared on BBC World at the same time.

Based on his association with World since 1995-ish, it makes Mike the longest serving (albeit not continuous) presenter at BBC World, followed probably by David Eades, who HAS held a continuous post since 2000.

Sally Bundock was relief (Fridays/random) second presenter on The World Today from 2002 before taking over permanently from Tanya Beckett in the slot from 2003 when the programme was rebranded and David Eades took over from Martine Dennis. (I think.....)

Didn't realise that Peter Coe had started off as a business presenter. You learn something new every day!

I don't remember David Eades reading the news before 2003, though. Wasn't he a correspondent at that point? My first recollection is of him presenting a few bulletins before taking over The World Today from Martine Dennis. Did he occasionally fill in before 2003?

Other reporters who acted as occasional relief presenters around that time (about 2001) were Ben Brown, Fergus Nicoll and George Eykyn. And of course Brian Hanrahan would occasionally pop back to the news desk. It was also interesting when BBC World seemingly dragged in someone from the streets to fill up the weekend roster!
MF
Matthew_Fieldhouse
Clive Myrie presenting the lunchtime bulletin - Ben Brown was on the NC. I’ll assume he is doing the evening news and Huw will do the Ten later on.

Replaced by Tim Wilcox at 14:00
JW
JamesWorldNews
Don’t forget Adrian Finighan and Peter Coe we’re both business presenters on BBC World. Both moved on to become news presenters on the channel as well.

If my memory serves, Peter Dobbie was with WSTV since approx 1993.

Mike Embley began regular secondments to BBC World late in 1995, if I recall correctly. He and his regional partner, Gwennan Edwards, used to take it in turns to move over to BBC World for additional cover, mostly late evenings and weekends. When one would be at World, the other would be back in the region and would alternate weeks at a time. There were some periods during early 1997 when both appeared on BBC World at the same time.

Based on his association with World since 1995-ish, it makes Mike the longest serving (albeit not continuous) presenter at BBC World, followed probably by David Eades, who HAS held a continuous post since 2000.

Sally Bundock was relief (Fridays/random) second presenter on The World Today from 2002 before taking over permanently from Tanya Beckett in the slot from 2003 when the programme was rebranded and David Eades took over from Martine Dennis. (I think.....)

Didn't realise that Peter Coe had started off as a business presenter. You learn something new every day!

I don't remember David Eades reading the news before 2003, though. Wasn't he a correspondent at that point? My first recollection is of him presenting a few bulletins before taking over The World Today from Martine Dennis. Did he occasionally fill in before 2003?

Other reporters who acted as occasional relief presenters around that time (about 2001) were Ben Brown, Fergus Nicoll and George Eykyn. And of course Brian Hanrahan would occasionally pop back to the news desk. It was also interesting when BBC World seemingly dragged in someone from the streets to fill up the weekend roster!

Yes, of course. Brian Hanrahan. Even after he gave up newscasting and went back into the field, he still did come back occasionally to fill-in. By his own admission, he wasn’t the greatest of newscasters but still exuded gravitas. Been there, done it.

David - I’m sure he started occasional newsreading stints just after the commencement of the Lambie Nairn/Lowe branding. I’ll have to check. But it was indeed 2003 when he took over TWT.

Prior to becoming studio based, David was Northern Ireland, Sport and Europe Correspondent. Versatile.
CM
cmthwtv
James Reynolds has got to be one of the best presenters that the BBC has. He is outstanding at rolling news and I have certainly enjoyed him on the News Channel during this period.
RN
Rolling News
James Reynolds has got to be one of the best presenters that the BBC has. He is outstanding at rolling news and I have certainly enjoyed him on the News Channel during this period.

Agreed. He's only been presenting for around a few months to my knowledge but already he's better than some of the more 'experienced' who have been doing it for years.
JL
JamesLaverty1925
Just realised Clive presented the early evening bulletin tonight (or this morning whenever). When was the last time there were different presenters at the weekend? (not including New Years Day 2020 in this as it was technically a weekday)
RN
Rolling News
Just realised Clive presented the early evening bulletin tonight (or this morning whenever). When was the last time there were different presenters at the weekend? (not including New Years Day 2020 in this as it was technically a weekday)

Not sure but today's set up (lunch and early evening same presenter, late a senior presenter) was similar to the set up they had at the weekends during the 1990s and early 2000s. I think I'm right in saying the likes of Moira Stuart or Chris Lowe would do the lunch and teatime before someone more 'senior' (but just as good) such as Sissons or Buerk would come in to do the late. At some point this changed so the same presenter would do all 3 bulletins, until it became standard for the duty News Channel presenter to do the lunchtime summary.
CM
cmthwtv

Not sure but today's set up (lunch and early evening same presenter, late a senior presenter) was similar to the set up they had at the weekends during the 1990s and early 2000s. I think I'm right in saying the likes of Moira Stuart or Chris Lowe would do the lunch and teatime before someone more 'senior' (but just as good) such as Sissons or Buerk would come in to do the late. At some point this changed so the same presenter would do all 3 bulletins, until it became standard for the duty News Channel presenter to do the lunchtime summary.

I recall Peter Sissons after moving to News 24 always used to do the evening news on a Saturday. I’m not sure whether that was separate or apart of that period as I was quite a bit younger the time.
RN
Rolling News

I recall Peter Sissons after moving to News 24 always used to do the evening news on a Saturday. I’m not sure whether that was separate or apart of that period as I was quite a bit younger the time.

Peter occasionally did the weekend news after moving to News 24 but I don't think it was a regular thing. Darren Jordon was the main face on Saturday and Sunday evening's for quite a long period of time.
SW
Steve Williams

I remember Peter Coe as the business correspondent on TVam, if only for his glasses. Indeed, there's a contributor to the One Day In The Life of Television book from 1988 who ponders "Why does Peter Coe wear those ghastly spectacles when he can surely afford a new pair?".

Newer posts