The Newsroom

Election 2010

Rerun .... (April 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
PH
Philheybrookbay
I'd forgotten the voting chaos and that a certain leader of UKIP had a plane crash on election day...
VM
VMPhil
Paxman enters a new age by asking if Peter Mandelson’s “twittering”, which makes it the first mention of social media in a BBC general election coverage. Five years later and they’re giving live updates on a Twitter account called Paddy Ashdown’s Hat.

(unless there’s a mention of MSN Messenger in the Blair years that I missed)

Nick Robinson had been blogging general elections since 2001.
DV
DVB Cornwall
Craig Oliver reflects....

AndrewPSSP, bilky asko and Brekkie gave kudos
JA
Jarv
He twitters!
JW
JamesWorldNews
Alexis Carrington Colby Dexter:

BA
bilky asko
2010 doesn't feel all that long ago, but 10 years later it has aged visually. BBC Parliament in SD helps with that aesthetic.
DV
dvboy
Nice slide before today's replay.

WI
Willz
is anyone recording this? Because I’ve missed 9:55am - 2:13pm
RR
RR
It will no doubt be on the iplayer once its broadcast has finished - i.e. later today, early tomorrow.

Re not giving out the poll result - as it was a joint venture with Sky and ITV, the BBC would have looked very strange in ignoring it, whilst the other broadcasters announced it.
BU
buster
I imagine the worry was that an exit poll predicting a hung parliament is quite a bold statement as it's within the margin of error, and last time that had happened in 1992 it wasn't correct (and would be incorrect again in 2015).
The wording is usually quite careful these days e.g "Conservatives largest party", which is true whether they can form a government or not.
JA
Jamesypoo
I don't remember those weird sounds effects on Emily's screen at all.
WI
Willz
Seems like there is a lot of things cut out, as its 11 mins ahead.

Newer posts