The Newsroom

BBC News (UK) presentation - Reith launch onwards

From Monday 15th July 2019 (July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GE
thegeek Founding member
these two could be the same studio, no?

(capture from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbqR43vb6T4)

There was also a presentation desk in the newsroom - when Dateline used it they had a gauze curtain they pulled behind it, but the only image I can find of it is from when it was pressed into action during the 2003 TVC powercut: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/3245864.stm

It was gone and had been turned into more office space the only time I visited, which would have been 2011.

Incidentally, when did the BBC move into Millbank? Am I right in thinking the previous home at Westminster was a building (quite a grotty one by all accounts) on the site of what's now Portcullis House?
IT
itsrobert Founding member
these two could be the same studio, no?

(capture from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbqR43vb6T4)

There was also a presentation desk in the newsroom - when Dateline used it they had a gauze curtain they pulled behind it, but the only image I can find of it is from when it was pressed into action during the 2003 TVC powercut: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/3245864.stm

It was gone and had been turned into more office space the only time I visited, which would have been 2011.

Incidentally, when did the BBC move into Millbank? Am I right in thinking the previous home at Westminster was a building (quite a grotty one by all accounts) on the site of what's now Portcullis House?

I'd forgotten about that studio used when the bomb went off. That was 2001 as well, so there were definitely three different studio/sets in 2001 - the one seen above, the newsroom one for Westminster Live and the News 24 DTL position with the green bench.
JW
JamesWorldNews
Notably, Doily remained Ubercool and sailed through that broadcast without flinching, after having been evacuated to Westminster, whilst the Sky News presenter by comparison is shaking his way through that small piece of breaking news.

Well noted that Susan also operates without autocue. Pro.
RN
Rolling News
Notably, Doily remained Ubercool and sailed through that broadcast without flinching, after having been evacuated to Westminster, whilst the Sky News presenter by comparison is shaking his way through that small piece of breaking news.

Well noted that Susan also operates without autocue. Pro.

I love how she corrects herself from "glass" to "glarss" at the 1:52 mark.
DE
deejay
There are several studios and cameras at Millbank - and even some people in the BBC have been confused in the past as to what is where. More often than not when you see a correspondent or MP appearing as a guest on a programme, they’re in what most people call MMA (I think Multi Media Area) which is a small CSO (green screen) studio. I believe that studio is also used for Today in Parliament. I think it’s also been renamed MB2 - but old habits die hard. The main studio is MB1. There’s also a Newsroom Camera, which is less flexible than the MMA but is a useful backup if the MMA is already booked. A camera can be set up on the balcony outside to offer another live. Often seen for correspondent/reporter lives - rarely for MPs. Finally there are several inject points on College Green. Those last few obviously need camera crews though.

The last limitation is how many circuits there are from Millbank to BH for routing on elsewhere. However for the news hour between 1800 and 1900 the teams at Millbank can be extremely busy providing lives for the Six, the Nations and many of the English regions.
CO
commseng

Off the top of my head I think it was around 1992 when they moved to Milbank, before that the main place was Bridge Street, which was a bit of a dump and as you say is now where Portcullis House now stands.
There was also the TV studio at Norman Shaw North, the Westminster Inject Point (the WIP) and the College Mews studio which all had lines into London Switching Centre at BH.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
There are several studios and cameras at Millbank - and even some people in the BBC have been confused in the past as to what is where. More often than not when you see a correspondent or MP appearing as a guest on a programme, they’re in what most people call MMA (I think Multi Media Area) which is a small CSO (green screen) studio. I believe that studio is also used for Today in Parliament. I think it’s also been renamed MB2 - but old habits die hard. The main studio is MB1. There’s also a Newsroom Camera, which is less flexible than the MMA but is a useful backup if the MMA is already booked. A camera can be set up on the balcony outside to offer another live. Often seen for correspondent/reporter lives - rarely for MPs. Finally there are several inject points on College Green. Those last few obviously need camera crews though.

The last limitation is how many circuits there are from Millbank to BH for routing on elsewhere. However for the news hour between 1800 and 1900 the teams at Millbank can be extremely busy providing lives for the Six, the Nations and many of the English regions.

Is there only one green screen set up? I'm sure I've seen (and remarked here) previously on a piece with a presenter in NBH and two guests at Millbank with different CSO backdrops.
JF
JF World News
Wonder when we go back to normal if the 10am will remain a UK lead edition of BBC World News or Live with Lucy Hockings?
MF
Matthew_Fieldhouse
Wonder when we go back to normal if the 10am will remain a UK lead edition of BBC World News or Live with Lucy Hockings?

Might get some more Victoria Derbyshire
CM
cmthwtv
BBC News at One showing as 20 minutes on the schedule, whereas BBC News at Six showing as 40 minutes, with 15 local and 5 weather outside of the main bulletin.
GM
Gary McEwan
When did the US Feed of BBC World News starting giving age ratings on bulletins?

Just spotted on the bulletin that's just started had a 12+ rating.
DV
dvboy
When did the US Feed of BBC World News starting giving age ratings on bulletins?

Just spotted on the bulletin that's just started had a 12+ rating.

I think it's been discussed earlier in the thread or in another that they have possibly reduced the number of geographical variations of World and therefore the ratings that have to be on there for some feeds are now on all.

Newer posts