(August 2004)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NL
Ne1L C
Is the Lincoln Newsroom Staying open

No idea.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
If is the same office that is always been in Grimsby in the town centre. I thought this went years ago? It was certainly debranded many years ago.

The BBC are also closing their office in Scarborough. Again I didn't know it existed:

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/local-news/bbc-closes-officers-financial-pressures-18206511

Scarborough, like Grimsby, was a much grander affair than a cupboard with a mic, whole shows could come from there. Jerry Scott did his show from the Scarborough studio for many years.

I can't see any reason for Lincoln to be affected, it's Radio Lincolnshire's main base.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
No mention on Look Levy tonight that the Grimsby studio is closing.

Probably because not even a lot of people who work there knew they had one!

As Deejay said in other thread, nothing more hi-tech than office space and a rudimentary link back to base. In these days of 4/5G and FTTP etc, it's a facility that could be hosted anywhere on an ad hoc basis

Grimsby was a full studio with Calrec desk. Lara King's show used to come from there. Gather it moved to more modest facilities in recent years.
JT
jolly turnip
For a time they had split North bank /south bank news bulletins on Radio Humberside. FM North Bank, AM South Bank (more specifically, Grimsby/Cleethorpes area). I assume they will have been from the old studio near Freshney Place in Grimsby.

Never seen a DTL Grimsby studio on Look North. We often do see the Lincoln one from Radio Lincolnshire's building

Makes absolute sense to cut these facilities like Grimsby, technology allows broadcast quality reports and editing to be done anywhere now.
IS
Inspector Sands
Is the Lincoln Newsroom Staying open

Lincoln is a local radio station. The closures are just unmanned district offices

Never seen a DTL Grimsby studio on Look North. We often do see the Lincoln one from Radio Lincolnshire's building

You wouldn't as there wasn't a DTL point there, it was a district office for reporters.
ST
South Today
If is the same office that is always been in Grimsby in the town centre. I thought this went years ago? It was certainly debranded many years ago.

The BBC are also closing their office in Scarborough. Again I didn't know it existed:

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/local-news/bbc-closes-officers-financial-pressures-18206511

Scarborough, like Grimsby, was a much grander affair than a cupboard with a mic, whole shows could come from there. Jerry Scott did his show from the Scarborough studio for many years.

I can't see any reason for Lincoln to be affected, it's Radio Lincolnshire's main base.

Well I never knew there was a BBC office in sunny Scarborough! Any ideas where it is situated please?
RA
radiolistener
FWIW, Radio Humberside did used to have programmes comes from Grimsby. I expect this would have ended when David Burns replaced Lara King on mid-mornings in 2011

I'm sure if the current BBC Lincolnshire organiser had his way the station would be BBC Radio Grimsby....
TJ
TedJrr
For a time they had split North bank /south bank news bulletins on Radio Humberside. FM North Bank, AM South Bank (more specifically, Grimsby/Cleethorpes area). I assume they will have been from the old studio near Freshney Place in Grimsby.

Makes absolute sense to cut these facilities like Grimsby, technology allows broadcast quality reports and editing to be done anywhere now.

Presumably with VILOR, all you actually need is a cubicle with a modicum of acoustic treatment, a microphone and a tablet/i-Pad. There's no need for the provision of grams/CD players or any of the paraphernalia that used to adorn local radio beach studios.

Radio Humberside used to have studios in Grimsby and Cleethorpes, when the Grimsby studio was in Church House. it was capable of running full programmes, albeit in mono.
TJ
TedJrr
Regarding Belmont. I've been reading the IBA's 1973/4 report and it speaks of creating a special set of programmes for that area which would have been made at Kirkstall Road. I'm curious to know if they would have been a co-production between Yorkshire and Anglia?

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-UK/Broadcasting/Archive-ITV-IDX/IDX/IBA-Annual%20Report-1973-1974-OCR-Page-0011.pdf#search=%22belmont%22

Perhaps Anglia would have been paid for the programmes, and/or allocated some of the ad revenue, to partly compensate the shrinking of their area?

Yes, the programmes were a 7-minute insert into Calendar and the Belmont Weather Forcast. The Calendar news was contained reports from Yorkshire's Hull, Grimsby and Lincoln offices, plus reports from the Fens and North Norfolk that came from, and were credited to Anglia.

The Weather Forcast was recorded, having been produced in Norwich and sent to Leeds via Tower>Birmingham>Manchester earlier in the afternoon. Presumably complete edited packages were sent along with this, so there must have been an IBA/PO lines booking for something like half an hour for this to happen.
jolly turnip, Markymark and Ne1L C gave kudos
TE
Technologist

Well I never knew there was a BBC office in sunny Scarborough! Any ideas where it is situated please?

I tried to find the FOI ... but wiki says the art gallery
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_BBC_properties

NAO don’t list them ... just pretty map
SP
Steve in Pudsey

You wouldn't as there wasn't a DTL point there, it was a district office for reporters.

With the complications of the limited routes across the river and bridge tolls etc, getting to Hull from many parts of northern Lincolnshire, a DTL facility in Grimsby makes some sense.

Or at least much more sense than the one they had in Bradford. (Although Bradford had much more extensive facilities than most district offices due to it being a "living exhibit" in the Media Museum)
SH
shaunma
I seem to recall a facility, maybe radio, in Bradford City Hall, though to be fair this was some time ago....and I'm not sure I want to remember how much time ago!

Newer posts