TV Home Forum

Top of the Pops

1990 on BBC Four (January 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BH
BillyH Founding member
I think we’re safe until at least 11/2/1993 now, which features a song by a Yewtreed musician though that can easily be cut if deemed necessary.
JA
james-2001
Lee Thompson on Twitter has speculated the reason they've dropped down to 1 a week is because The Story of 1990 can't be finished yet because of the lockdown. Surely as long as they've already got all the talking heads in the can (which seems likely seeing as they were already filming for the Story of 1991 before the lockdown), they'd still be able to put the show together? And even if they can't finish it they couldn't they still begin the 1990 repeats without the Story of, and show it once they are able to finish it.
CO
Colm
*speculated* being the key word.
SW
Steve Williams
Lee Thompson on Twitter has speculated the reason they've dropped down to 1 a week is because The Story of 1990 can't be finished yet because of the lockdown.

No slight on you, but is there anything that doesn't lead to a theory about these bloody repeats?!

Judging by some people on the internet you'd assume BBC4 have got some ginormous spreadsheet covering the next five years or so. I find that incredibly hard to believe, they're making it up as they go along half the time. Especially as at the moment they're not certain what they're showing next week. The fact is that at the moment 7-9pm on BBC4 is being used for programmes of educational intent as part of the Beeb's educational push (the 8pm show on Friday certainly is) and everything on BBC4 that's normally on at that time has to get out of the way.

Presumably at some point they might add a second screening after 9pm to get back on track but at the moment they're just trying to keep broadcasting. The 1990 doc isn't on until June and at the current time any broadcaster is surely just working week by week.

You only have to look back at previous years, when sometimes they've got to Christmas in mid-November and at other times they've had to cram in umpteen in December to get it finished by the end of the year, to realise there's no logic with these repeats, and trying to find any will drive you mad. Pops rates well for BBC4 but they are repeats and I'm sure the channel have higher priorities to think about.

There's one episode a week for two weeks (which is all we have confirmed schedules for at the moment) and people are trying to come up with theories about it. They're certainly thinking more about it than BBC4 are, I'm sure. It's the same as when there's an edit and then people try and suggest there's any kind of BBC policy and not just the whim of the particular episode of that particular episode.

Sorry to go off on one. That Michael Jackson video was bloody stupid, wasn't it? Couldn't even hear the record!
SW
Steve Williams
I don't want to make it sound like I've been stewing on this for a week, but thinking it about it further, why would The Story of 1990 be delayed anyway? I know it's a bit harder to make telly shows than usual, but they are still being made. We know they've already started recording interviews for the 1991 doc as Rozalla said it on Instagram, and the show itself is made up of about 90% archive clips in any case.

BBC Sport are making archive shows like World Cup Rewind and Match Of Their Day in a week, mixing old footage and new interviews, and they're still making things like Panorama every week as well. BBC4 themselves are turning around new shows like Museums in Quarantine which starts on Monday and has been made under the current conditions. They've got two months to finish making The Story of 1990 and while it may look a bit more ragged than the other ones, it seems one of the easiest programmes on television to make at the present time.

As I say, I HAVEN'T been stewing on this daft theory for a week. Honest.
DV
dvboy
Catching up on recent BBC4 episodes... the 20 July episode must have the poorest choice of music of any episode of TOTP
https://tvrdb.com/totp/1989-07-20
LL
Lottie Long-Legs
dvboy posted:
Catching up on recent BBC4 episodes... the 20 July episode must have the poorest choice of music of any episode of TOTP
https://tvrdb.com/totp/1989-07-20

Subjective. I enjoyed it... certainly far more than the previous show.
RW
Robert Williams Founding member
Back to two editions on the same evening on 15th May: https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p00fzl6b/2020/05/15
JA
james-2001
With Mayo and Kermode sandwiched in the middle, I presume it's a film-related show (the title "Home Entertainment service" has me assuming they'll be reviewing new streaming movies), though the BBC website doesn't give any actual information about it. A shame it isn't one of Mayo's TOTP's on the BBC4 that week, but as it's got a 6 episode run it will co-incide with a couple of his TOTPs.
DV
dvboy
With Mayo and Kermode sandwiched in the middle, I presume it's a film-related show (the title "Home Entertainment service" has me assuming they'll be reviewing new streaming movies), though the BBC website doesn't give any actual information about it. A shame it isn't one of Mayo's TOTP's on the BBC4 that week, but as it's got a 6 episode run it will co-incide with a couple of his TOTPs.

It's basically a TV version of their Radio 5 Live programme. Not sure if it's going to be clipped up from the radio show or produced separately. No doubt the TOTPs will get a mention on the radio/podcast extras.
AA
Amber Avenger
It's separate from the film show, as they are also reviewing TV shows looking at their twitter.

18 days later

JA
james-2001
The Cliff Richard video on the 24/8/89 edition looks like filmised video. 1989 seems early for them to be doing this, but it must have been around then. Clearly a very early example.

Newer posts