TV Home Forum

The Steph Show

Steph leaving BBC Breakfast for Channel 4 (October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
Markymark
Jonwo posted:
Surely if that’s the case, programmes like Gogglebox or any of the home programmes like Keep Crafting and Carry On would be affected.

Depends whether the local authority is made aware of a problem by complaining neighbours, and how persistent the activity is
BR
Brekkie
You would hope the local authority would file such complaints in the bin at the moment. It would be ridiculous to prevent people from working from home at a time the law demands they do if they can.
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
Jonwo posted:
Surely if that’s the case, programmes like Gogglebox or any of the home programmes like Keep Crafting and Carry On would be affected.

Gogglebox filming has changed to a static camera setup apparently. No crew involved.

You would hope the local authority would file such complaints in the bin at the moment. It would be ridiculous to prevent people from working from home at a time the law demands they do if they can.

Yes but for most people working from home does not involve making a TV show every day.
BG
Big-G
I used to like Steph when she was on BBC Breakfast, always bright and bubbly first thing in the morning. I think that when she starts broadcasting from the studios in Leeds the programme, as mentioned above, would be better suited to an afternoon slot. She may be able to get viewers that don't like quiz shows. Also I would try and get guests that haven't already appeared on the ITV morning shows.

G
SW
Steve Williams
Ian Katz mentions the neighbours being annoyed, which I saw in the press a couple of weeks ago. Don't know how true it is. Local authorities take a dim view of business activity being based in domestic housing. Normally they don't know or care (for instance someone sat in the kichen with no more than a laptop and phone) but if there are comings and goings and noise etc, then they get interested. It might have been a contributry factor

I'm sure it's nothing as formal as that, I'm sure it's more on the part of the production team who are probably conscious of losing up all the goodwill they might have generated. I'm sure the neighbours have been happy enough and find it quite exciting a telly show is coming from their street, but if it's doing that for an indefinite period there will come a time when the novelty wears off. Better C4 do it on their terms.
MA
Markymark

You can work from home, but I don't think that necessarily includes having your colleagues standing about in the garden, garage and in vans outside!

I received a faintly threatening email from my house insurance company, reminding me to check my cover includes risks associated with home working. Shift Delete for that one!
GO
gottago
The neighbours thing is just C4 attempting to save face. It's a show that is rating awfully and haemorrhaging money so they're taking it off air before launching it properly later, it truly is as simple as that.
GO
gottago
Just a point on the show being in the wrong timeslot, which I agree with, it is worth noting that the viewers who are watching C4 around that time are actively tuning out as well. I've been following the ratings for it all week and it's interesting how on most days Come Dine With Me repeats before it get about 300/400k, then Steph comes on and immediately halves that audience, then Sun, Sea and Selling Houses starts at 1 and the audience builds again up to 300/400k. So it will be interesting to see when it is properly produced if this is a show that people will actually want to watch anyway. I expect they won't.
FL
Flux
Just a point on the show being in the wrong timeslot, which I agree with, it is worth noting that the viewers who are watching C4 around that time are actively tuning out as well. I've been following the ratings for it all week and it's interesting how on most days Come Dine With Me repeats before it get about 300/400k, then Steph comes on and immediately halves that audience, then Sun, Sea and Selling Houses starts at 1 and the audience builds again up to 300/400k. So it will be interesting to see when it is properly produced if this is a show that people will actually want to watch anyway. I expect they won't.

I honestly think half the problem is the name. I mean, what is a 'Steph Show'? It doesn't really say anything about what to expect or grab you on an EPG because Steph McGovern's "brand" isn't as well known as someone like Lorraine Kelly, who's past popularity and experience justifies only using her first name in the show title.
JO
Jonwo
I was listening to the Broadcast Newswrap podcast which had a bit on the Steph Show and seems like a lot of indies were secretly pleased it did badly, seems like Channel 4 has annoyed many indies with their relationship with Expectation and the fact many shows they've done for Channel 4 haven't done well.
GO
gottago
Jonwo posted:
I was listening to the Broadcast Newswrap podcast which had a bit on the Steph Show and seems like a lot of indies were secretly pleased it did badly, seems like Channel 4 has annoyed many indies with their relationship with Expectation and the fact many shows they've done for Channel 4 haven't done well.

Absolutely. They're getting commissions because Katz and the heads of Expectation are old friends, there's no level playing field here whatsoever and everyone knows it. The whole industry hates them.

See the genius gag in episode 5 of Meet The Richardsons where Chris Kamara is hosting a fake, dreadful workout show called Kammy Keeps Fit. In the bottom corner it says "Clip courtesy of Expectation Productions".
JO
Jonwo
Jonwo posted:

Absolutely. They're getting commissions because Katz and the heads of Expectation are old friends, there's no level playing field here whatsoever and everyone knows it. The whole industry hates them.

See the genius gag in episode 5 of Meet The Richardsons where Chris Kamara is hosting a fake, dreadful workout show called Kammy Keeps Fit. In the bottom corner it said "Clip courtesy of Expectation Productions".

I see Jon and Lucy are still bitter about not getting the Channel 4 daytime commission.

In all seriousness, Channel 4 does favour certain indies. Studio Lambert seems to be another favourite although given their strong track record with Gogglebox, Race Across the World etc it's not too surprising.

Newer posts