TV Home Forum

The Chase | Beat the Chasers

Beat the Chasers S2 launches Sun 3 Jan (April 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Jonwo
Watching now on +1, pretty good so far. Didn’t realise it was on each night this week.

Was it always intended to be a prime time show? I suppose the audience suggests it was, but was wondering if it was rescheduled to fill out the prime time schedule?

It was always planned for primetime. When Anne was on Loose Women a while back, Andrea McLean accidentally revealed the start date.
UB
UBox
Strong first show tonight.

I agree the cash builder wasn't as good as the daytime show, however. I think they've missed out on having the chasers answer the questions too and Brad doing a "let's see how many of the chasers got it" after the correct answer has been revealed. Maybe you could give a financial reward if the one of the chasers got a question wrong?

The main game was good. It does seem to be more about the time than how many chasers you're taking on though as to what gives you the biggest advantage. I'm suprised there wasn't some sort of risk element built in whereby if you win you could risk your money and play for more.

I am looking forward to when a chaser inevitably does a 'wrong person answer' and costs them the money. I can just imagine the look on the rest of their faces.

It was definitely pacey and I never felt bored but I think it could get tedious having the format effectively repeat 4 times in one show.

Looking forward to watching the rest of the week though!
PF
PFML84
They could have easily fit in that final chase if they cut a little of the waffle out getting to know the contestants. Also the offers were weird. The two at the start were offered peanuts compared to the latter two which was unfair. They got similar amounts in the opening round.

The lights pulsing along with the music when the final round begins seem slightly out of sync. Also agree that they could/should have used the same font for questions and overall graphics as for The Chase but what they used weren’t bad, the font was a bit boring though.

I’m also not a fan of these cutaways to people chatting amongst themselves whilst the audience claps, commenting on what’s going on. We’ve seen the Chasers do it, I bet we’re gonna see audience members do it by the end of the week. A horrible practice I hope doesn’t catch on more than it has already on other shows.

Overall I liked it and with a few little tweaks, could be a great alternative to The Chase.
JO
Jonwo
They could have easily fit in that final chase if they cut a little of the waffle out getting to know the contestants. Also the offers were weird. The two at the start were offered peanuts compared to the latter two which was unfair. They got similar amounts in the opening round.

The lights pulsing along with the music when the final round begins seem slightly out of sync. Also agree that they could/should have used the same font for questions and overall graphics as for The Chase but what they used weren’t bad, the font was a bit boring though.

I’m also not a fan of these cutaways to people chatting amongst themselves whilst the audience claps, commenting on what’s going on. We’ve seen the Chasers do it, I bet we’re gonna see audience members do it by the end of the week. A horrible practice I hope doesn’t catch on more than it has already on other shows.

Overall I liked it and with a few little tweaks, could be a great alternative to The Chase.

I think the cash amounts were fine but I think they should have the contestants and Chasers on slighter equal footing to make it more competitive or have more time on the low offer and less time on the highest offer.
AA
Amber Avenger
Did they mention if there is a maximum cash builder?

Might have totally misheard but did Bradley say five?
WH
what
Did they mention if there is a maximum cash builder?

Might have totally misheard but did Bradley say five?

Yes, five multiple choice questions.
:-(
A former member
I have to say, the Chasers really make this. Can you imagine the Eggheads sat up there?
W1LL, bilky asko and Brekkie gave kudos
GM
GMc
Seems to be a good format, but I feel that this week in particular is Chase overkill - even more than usual.
Obviously, there's the regular edition at 5pm on weekdays, plus we had a Celeb Special repeat on Saturday and Family Chase on Sunday (and next Sunday).
BR
Brekkie
Watching now on +1, pretty good so far. Didn’t realise it was on each night this week.

Was it always intended to be a prime time show? I suppose the audience suggests it was, but was wondering if it was rescheduled to fill out the prime time schedule?

It was always intended for primetime but not sure if it was intended to be stripped or for the weekends. There are another 5 episodes in the can which I'd imagine will air early autumn before the 6th Chaser debuts on the main show.

Someone suggested elsewhere a round by round mechanism gambling your winnings to take on more Chasers for more money might be an idea, though that could get too repetitive. I thought that bit was fine myself, just not a fan of the cash builder as it is a bit laboured and I think the Chasers could be better used there. Maybe rather than one wrong answer and you're out it could be a 5 step chase and then once you get a question wrong one Chaser begins to hunt you down.
AA
Amber Avenger

It was always intended for primetime but not sure if it was intended to be stripped or for the weekends. There are another 5 episodes in the can which I'd imagine will air early autumn before the 6th Chaser debuts on the main show.

I think the general feeling is that it was supposed to be stripped from the get go - Bradley does say "see you tomorrow" at the end - so whilst I guess it could have been destined to be on twice at the weekend, I suspect it is supposed to be a 5 day event
BR
Brekkie
I do wonder how many versions of such links they record to cover various eventualities. From the recording reports they are chopping up recordings to make up each show rather than airing as it recorded so wonder if every big money contestant was potentially a carryover over contestant so even if on the show it is seamless they may have been told otherwise.
:-(
A former member
I do wonder how many versions of such links they record to cover various eventualities. From the recording reports they are chopping up recordings to make up each show rather than airing as it recorded so wonder if every big money contestant was potentially a carryover over contestant so even if on the show it is seamless they may have been told otherwise.

Very good point, and I imagine they do things like that to allow different running lengths as required too. From memory weren’t all the Chasers wearing similar black and red clothing? I imagine they’ll be wearing the same tonight if this is the case.

Newer posts