TV Home Forum

Local TV

Are you local? (July 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RO
rob Founding member
Shock horror. That's Hampshire has a side bar, and lower third giving relevant and up to date local information!

On the downside, they've just played out a report from That's Dundee 🤦‍♂️

TR
trivialmatters
In a way, That's TV has finally hit on a formal that is actually useful and sustainable.
YO
yogibarney
rob posted:

In a way, That's TV has finally hit on a formal that is actually useful and sustainable.

It’s only sustainable if they actually get information correct on the side bars. I’ve never heard of portsmoutlemple or Bristol frome meads are they in the universe as Batwoman before Crisis On Infinite Earths?
:-(
A former member
I’m interested as to why this extra investment (such as it is), is now being provided.
MA
Markymark
rob posted:

It’s only sustainable if they actually get information correct on the side bars. I’ve never heard of portsmoutlemple or Bristol frome meads are they in the universe as Batwoman before Crisis On Infinite Earths?

I think the screen grab might have caught the text changing (with a horizontal wipe) ?

Believe me, this is the most useful and relevant thing I've ever seen on That's TV (Although the Plymouth to Leeds train comes nowhere near Hampshire on its journey) !
AB
ashley b Founding member
rob posted:

I think the screen grab might have caught the text changing (with a horizontal wipe) ?

Believe me, this is the most useful and relevant thing I've ever seen on That's TV (Although the Plymouth to Leeds train comes nowhere near Hampshire on its journey) !

I captured a similar one on that’s Manchester a couple of weeks ago, updating us on a train between Cardiff Central to Gloucester. I think they are taking some sort of feed of any train company operating in the area, and as there’s a Transport for Wales service through Manchester Piccadilly, they are updating on all Transport for Wales services.
BR
Brekkie
The L graphics actually look quite nice. Hope though putting text based news over non-news content or non-original news content doesn't go towards their quota.

24 days later

A former member
That’s Manchester now have That’s 70s between 17:00 and 18:00. I know they’ve had 80s in the slot before but not sure when they were replaced by the 70s.

Again, curious why the sudden ‘investment’ and whether this counts towards quotas.
EM
Emily Moore
I'm not sure if I'm lucky or not, but I can now receive two local tv channels. I'm in central Manchester but can receive Liverpool TV s well as That's TV.

That's TV seem to have dropped the "Manchester" tag, though it did feature in the opening titles of their "news" programme earlier this year, but as they have special coronavirus opening titles at the moment so don't know if it is temporary. Originally it was called "That's Manchester, Headline News", in January I noted it had changed to "That's TV, Manchester Headline News", but this week has been branded as just "That's TV, Headline News". breaks seem to be replaced with generic "government advice" slides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydni8kjfWM0

They have also now an hour of 80's music video between 6pm and 7pm each night branded as "That's 80's" (which you can see the end of above). I'm not sure if this is related to coronavirus or not as they still have the usual "news" programme for two hours from 7pm. "That's 80's" does have news, weather and travel information on screen as well, though I'm sure the travel info would be more useful in the morning, rather than when you've just got home from work (in normal circumstances) - though some of the information is a bit dubious, not sure delays between Cardiff Central and Gloucester are too relevant to Manchester residents. I assume they are just taking a feed from all the train companies operating through Manchester Piccadilly.

My God, that's horrible for so many reasons. The 80s-style ident for That's 80's is pretty good, and technically the news intro is fairly good although there is stuff in The Gallery here that surpasses it in quality.

But I was staggered when I saw it transition to "GOVERNMENT MESSAGE: STAY AT HOME PROTECT THE NHS SAVE LIVES". There is a place for (very valid) government advice, and it's not in the news intro, it's in the news itself where it can be reported properly and discussed.

I don't know why, but I felt very uncomfortable seeing a government slogan right there in the title sequence - it made it feel (fairly or otherwise) like the rest of the programme would be rather less than impartial regarding the legitimate questions that could be asked about government performance during Covid-19. I can only imagine they anticipate that they might get some financial crumbs off the government table if they can be seen to push the government message so heavily.

And it should be That's 80s , not That's 80's . You'd think a channel with an apostrophe in its actual name would be able to use it correctly.
JA
JAS84
Yeah, if they did use an apostrophe it should be before the 80, as '80s is of course short for 1980s.
A former member
Can anyone tell me what 'Have Your Say' is on That's TV?

It's on the Manchester TV Guide page on their website (18:00 - 18:15 and then repeated every half-hour until 19:30).

Headline News is listed as being on from 18:15 - 18:30, repeated every half-hour until 19:45.

Has anything changed on-air?
AB
ashley b Founding member
Have your say is basically a "National" programme contributed to by all that's TV stations, so assume it is on in all parts of the country. Headline news is the only "local" news bit now.

This is the opening titles of last Tuesday's "Have your say" with their explanation of what it is:

Newer posts