« Topics
lxflyer483 posts since 25 Jul 2013
UTV Newsline
They are not.

BBC World News separates from the News Channel from 06:00 to 10:00 and again from 13:00 to 19:00 on weekdays, and from 22:00 to 22:30 World News America is on.

On many of the back half-hours programming will differ between the two channels.

At weekends they separate for the 06:00-10:00 period and during many of the back half-hours. They do take the network bulletins at weekends.
Last edited by lxflyer on 27 April 2020 3:10pm
MatthewF (previously Matt14451) 274 posts since 12 Jul 2019
Central (West) Midlands Today
They are not.

BBC World News separates the News Channel from 06:00 to 10:00 and again from 13:00 to 19:00 on weekdays, and from 22:00 to 22:30 World News America is on.

On many of the back half-hours programming will differ between the two channels.

At weekends they separate for the 06:00-10:00 period and during many of the back half-hours. They do take the network bulletins at weekends.

So nothing is simulcated between BBC One and World News during weekdays other than night.
lxflyer483 posts since 25 Jul 2013
UTV Newsline
The UK domestic government update isn’t really of any relevance to World viewers - they want a global news update which is what they get.

I’d also point out that the One and the Six are outside of the hours from 14:00 to 18:00!! 😀

Those BBC One bulletins tend also to be domestic UK focussed.
Last edited by lxflyer on 27 April 2020 4:26pm
JamesWorldNews9,139 posts since 22 Aug 2004
STV Central BBC World News
Those of us who DO wish to see the UK Government Update overseas can easily do so on BBC News Online, whilst World News may be showing something else at the time. As LX points out, the global audience would probably not wish the UK Briefing in detail 7-days a week. If any news from that briefing were of major global significance, I guess BBC World would carry it in that case.
@JamesWorldNews | #StayHomeSaveLives
Rolling News1,510 posts since 27 Dec 2015 Recently warned
Central (East) East Midlands Today
The UK domestic government update isn’t really of any relevance to World viewers - they want a global news update which is what they get.

I’d also point out that the One and the Six are outside of the hours from 14:00 to 18:00!! 😀

Those BBC One bulletins tend also to be domestic UK focussed.

D'oh!
Stay alert. Control the virus. Save lives.
Pete9,109 posts since 18 Jun 2001
STV North Reporting Scotland
PBS airings often omit the countdown, I imagine that's how most Americans gain exposure to the BBC. BBC World News carrier-ship on cable/satellite is much broader than it was 10 years ago, but it's definitely still a niche audience judging by the very upmarket ads on North American feed.

I can understand not getting the countdown, but he said he just sees the silent 'globe' animation at the start of the title sequence, before getting the final few notes of the theme at the end. Which seems odd.

I mean the obvious answer is the PBS station he's watching on is doing a sloppy opt into a dirty feed and fades the sound up after mixing the vision?
ELM 2011: I am sick of been persicuted by you immature TV Forumers!
noggin14,949 posts since 26 Jun 2001
PBS airings often omit the countdown, I imagine that's how most Americans gain exposure to the BBC. BBC World News carrier-ship on cable/satellite is much broader than it was 10 years ago, but it's definitely still a niche audience judging by the very upmarket ads on North American feed.

I can understand not getting the countdown, but he said he just sees the silent 'globe' animation at the start of the title sequence, before getting the final few notes of the theme at the end. Which seems odd.

I mean the obvious answer is the PBS station he's watching on is doing a sloppy opt into a dirty feed and fades the sound up after mixing the vision?

I wonder if they take the feed at the top of the hour precisely, ignoring any distribution delay?
Rkolsen3,307 posts since 20 Jan 2014
BBC World News

I wonder if they take the feed at the top of the hour precisely, ignoring any distribution delay?

They take it at the top of the hour, however the PBS stations will put one or two minutes of underwriting and their own countdown. But PBS gets a dedicated feed because in the past the halfway point ad break on World News would be filled with a separate story but lately it’s been basic non ad breakfiller.

Here’s how it was beforehand:

I don’t know how they get the “clean feed” whether it’s a satellite or fiber line that’s booked daily or if now it’s connected via the AVOC in DC direct from the DC Bureau to WETA’s offices.
Don’t let anyone treat you like you’re a VO/SOT when you’re a PKG.
Stuart gave kudos