The Newsroom

BBC News: Presenters, correspondent & rotas

Split from BBC News: Presenters & Rotas (July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MI
m_in_m
House posted:
Not sure whether this has been mentioned but Media Guido has just announced Carole Walker as a lead presenter for Times Radio.

She last presented 22 August 2019, thought it was earlier than that, so it seems she quietly left BBC.

She left the BBC some time ago as a political correspondent, but continued to occasionally appear as a freelance presenter on the News Channel as well as pursue other opportunities.

Chuffed for her, because she was an underrated correspondent and is a great addition to their lineup.

Carole had also presented occasional bulletins - generally the weekday late bulletin - for Look East from Norwich.
RN
Rolling News
Carole will be doing the 10pm shift.
SS
SuperSajuuk
Are the various journalists who often present on location starting to return to work now and not presenting from their homes? Just saw Norman Smith has been broadcasting from the rooftop overlooking Westminster since today, rather than his home. I also noticed Ben Thompson back in NBH (or what I assume was NBH since the background seemed like a VT) last week, so wondering if we'll see some return to normality on the bulletins soon, or if this is all just to give some of the journalists a break if they've not had one yet.
TI
tightrope78
Are the various journalists who often present on location starting to return to work now and not presenting from their homes? Just saw Norman Smith has been broadcasting from the rooftop overlooking Westminster since today, rather than his home. I also noticed Ben Thompson back in NBH (or what I assume was NBH since the background seemed like a VT) last week, so wondering if we'll see some return to normality on the bulletins soon, or if this is all just to give some of the journalists a break if they've not had one yet.

I think it’s more a case of the journalists rotating where they’re based. Certainly those at the BBC seem to be rotating working from home and being elsewhere. In Ben’s case over the past month he’s been at home, in NBH and even been to Salford to anchor Breakfast on a Sunday.
SuperSajuuk and Newsroom gave kudos
NE
Newsroom

Norman was back at Westminster last week.

A return to any form of normality is a long way off for TV newsrooms. Jeff Zucker (CNN) wrote to worldwide staffers just last week (also in the CNN thread) explaining most staffers won't be back until September (subject to change).

It's an interesting read and gives some insight into how CNN is continuing to run.

Zucker's full memo is here. https://deadline.com/2020/04/coronavirus-cnn-jeff-zucker-1202914998/
MA
Markymark
I'd be interested to know how many BBC staff currently are :-

1: Working from home because they can
2: Working from home because they or their family are displaying CV symptoms
3: Working at their normal BBC premises, because they have to
4: Number of staff furloughed?
5: Off work sick

I would expect the answer to No 4 to be zero?
AS
AlexS

6. Working significantly less than their contracted hours as they have insufficent work.
TI
tightrope78

Maybe it's none of your business? I work in a large organisation and we are not privy to that information about our colleagues.
JO
Jon
Although there is a difference between asking about specific people and asking for numbers.

I don’t think markymark, was asking for the the former and was just thinking out loud pondering the latter and wasn’t asking for an answer.

So I think your reply is a bit rude and unnecessary. The answers to these questions would give us an insight into how the situation is being handled operationally which I think is within the scope of what we discuss.
MA
Markymark
Jon posted:
Although there is a difference between asking about specific people and asking for numbers.

I don’t think markymark, was asking for the the former and was just thinking out loud pondering the latter and wasn’t asking for an answer.

So I think your reply is a bit rude and unnecessary. The answers to these questions would give us an insight into how the situation is being handled operationally which I think is within the scope of what we discuss.

Yes, that was exactly why I was asking in general broad terms, I wasn't requesting an Excel spreadsheet of names ! Some people need to get out and do a bit more exercise
NE
Newsroom
Jon posted:

I don't think he's being rude at all. If people are looking as to how the BBC are operating their news output during this time then perhaps a few tweets to Fran Unsworth might get an appropriate response. There could be the argument that because the BBC are a PBS organisation that some of the above info should be shared, certainly not all of it.
MA
Markymark
Jon posted:

I don't think he's being rude at all. If people are looking as to how the BBC are operating their news output during this time then perhaps a few tweets to Fran Unsworth might get an appropriate response. There could be the argument that because the BBC are a PBS organisation that some of the above info should be shared, certainly not all of it.

Why would I waste Fran Unsworth's time, she's got better things to get on with ?

It's got nothing to do with the BBC per se anyway,

ITN and C4 have publicly given some info
https://www.tvbeurope.com/business/itn-furloughs-staff-ceo-takes-pay-cut

Newer posts