TV Home Forum

Classic Emmerdale

(January 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SC
Si-Co
I'm slightly behind on episodes, as I was away from home last week, and I've just noticed in one of last week's episodes we saw Alan pull up in front of what was supposedly the Ephraim Monk brewery- but was actually the Sunny Bank Mills studios, where Emmerdale was filmed at the time.

Yes, in those days they often filmed in and around Farsley (where Sunny Bank Mills was situated). It often doubled as Hotten or Skipdale, whereas in later years they tended to use Otley.

I noticed that the exterior of Seacroft Hospital was used when Seth went to his urology appointments.

As a matter of interest, Emmerdale/Beckindale’s postcode (as shown on some letters in the 90s episodes) begins with SK, so Skipdale is the postal town. Other addresses seen in the same era merely said “Near Hotten, North Yorkshire”.

I wonder if the postcode has changed in more recent episodes. It does rather annoy me when they use a real postcode area (SK is Stockport) as this takes you out of the soap universe a bit - especially if you live near Stockport! Brookside did something similar - a letter to
Lindsey Corkhill in Newcastle used a BN postcode - supposedly for Blaydon, but the Brighton code in real life. I live in Blaydon, which is in the NE postcode area, so this was particularly noticeable to me!! A little research by the props people/writers would avoid such anomalies! Why not invent a postcode - SD for Skipdale, for example?

Rant over!

34 days later

JB
JasonB
In just over a year we've gone from starting in 1989 to 1995, Impressive! Also, is the Dingle house the only set not to receive a major makeover? From what I saw on today's classic Emmerdale it looks the same back then as it does now! Even when they had a whole wall knocked down a few years ago, they managed to rebuild it without changing much of the set.
JA
james-2001
Looks quite a lot different outside though, it's a lot less run down and delapidated. And one of the outbuildings is now where Eric lives.
JA
james-2001
ITV3's left today's hour long Emmerdale in its original three part format. Quite often these days repeats of pre-2000 hour long shows have a third ad break shoehorned into them.
RO
robrymond
In just over a year we've gone from starting in 1989 to 1995, Impressive! Also, is the Dingle house the only set not to receive a major makeover? From what I saw on today's classic Emmerdale it looks the same back then as it does now! Even when they had a whole wall knocked down a few years ago, they managed to rebuild it without changing much of the set.

Isn't the interior now filmed in a studio rather than at the set itself, because it wasn't good enough for HD?
BS
Ben Shatliff

Isn't the interior now filmed in a studio rather than at the set itself, because it wasn't good enough for HD?

I thought they moved to an interior set when Lisa gave birth to Belle as they thought it wasn’t right to film the outdoor scenes with a baby.

19 days later

JA
james-2001
One thought, seeing as from this Fridaf UKTV are putting early episodes of The Bill on UKTV Play that they were going to show on Drama but ended up pulling after only a few weeks, it would be good if ITV could put the Emmerdale Farm episodes on the ITV Hub (as well as pre-1986 Corrie episodes). Though seeing as they can't even get the ITV3 episodes on there as catch-up, maybe that is too much of an ask.
BR
Brekkie
Answered your own question there.

12 days later

JA
james-2001
Interesting, on today's first ITV3 episode they showed a flashblack clip of Archie being blown up from the plane crash episode- complete with cue dot in the corner of the screen! Did they not have the raw footage to use by then and had to rely on the edited episode, complete with cue dot?

62 days later

JA
james-2001
The "Channel 3" era YTV endcap made its first appearance on today's second episode (22/10/96).
SC
Si-Co
Interesting, on today's first ITV3 episode they showed a flashblack clip of Archie being blown up from the plane crash episode- complete with cue dot in the corner of the screen! Did they not have the raw footage to use by then and had to rely on the edited episode, complete with cue dot?

YTV also released a VHS of the four plane crash episodes (Emmerdale: The Rescue) edited together as a feature length presentation. All the titles, credits and EOP captions were neatly removed as was the theme music. We saw clean versions of scenes that had previously had music and captions fading in or out, yet the cue dots still appeared where they would have been originally shown. Very odd. It’s on YouTube if you want to compare it to the actual broadcast episodes, which are also on YouTube.

JA
james-2001
Si-Co posted:
yet the cue dots still appeared where they would have been originally shown

Not that long back, ITV3 showed an episode with a slowed down flashback of the scene where Archie was blown up- complete with cue dot!

Newer posts