The Newsroom

BBC News (UK) presentation - Reith launch onwards

From Monday 15th July 2019 (July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RN
Rolling News
I think it's just his style. Some presenters seem to get there quicker than others.

And some just forget altogether Wink
NF
NewsFan
😂😂
I think it's just his style. Some presenters seem to get there quicker than others.

And some just forget altogether Wink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YasJWcFMi0
TH
Thistle
It does seem odd they're using that space for Newsnight when it comes from Glasgow when it could come from the Nine set, or if they moved the late update there from the main set. Considering studio space has been reduced in London to keep things simple running three sets (though I guess perhaps not three galleries, maybe indeed only one) in Glasgow seems a bit excessive.

Very odd indeed... it's the canteen Laughing
NE
Newsroom
AlexS posted:
Lovely view of the Clyde Arc in a rather deserted Glasgow last night on Newsnight.

It seems we are only treated to a full end credit sequence on Fridays at present if the programme is from Glasgow. Those from Studio E at NBH just use a short end title animation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4egSNXmJ70w

Why on earth is the BBC supporting Kirsty in seemingly travelling between Glasgow and London on a regular basis, while we are meant to be in lockdown, is the bigger question.

She is a en extremely experienced journalist, she has a press pass, what is your issue again?

May I politely suggest that you please do your research before launching into posts that have become not only monotonous but also with some kind of agenda. More often than not you seem hell bent on targeting the BBC and its journalists in one way or another.
ID
Identity
AlexS posted:
Lovely view of the Clyde Arc in a rather deserted Glasgow last night on Newsnight.

It seems we are only treated to a full end credit sequence on Fridays at present if the programme is from Glasgow. Those from Studio E at NBH just use a short end title animation.

Why on earth is the BBC supporting Kirsty in seemingly travelling between Glasgow and London on a regular basis, while we are meant to be in lockdown, is the bigger question.

She is a en extremely experienced journalist, she has a press pass, what is your issue again?

May I politely suggest that you please do your research before launching into posts that have become not only monotonous but also with some kind of agenda. More often than not you seem hell bent on targeting the BBC and its journalists in one way or another.

he does have a point though. lockdown is lockdown. do we really need her to travel to the studio?
NE
Newsroom
AlexS posted:

he does have a point though. lockdown is lockdown. do we really need her to travel to the studio?

A press pass enables the holder to go about their business as a journalist/employee of a media organisation, end of. It really is as simple as that.
MF
Matthew_Fieldhouse

A press pass enables the holder to go about their business as a journalist/employee of a media organisation, end of. It really is as simple as that.

Yes so nothing illegal but travel should still be minimised to reduce risk
Jory and davidhorman gave kudos
SP
Steve in Pudsey
It does seem odd they're using that space for Newsnight when it comes from Glasgow when it could come from the Nine set, or if they moved the late update there from the main set. Considering studio space has been reduced in London to keep things simple running three sets (though I guess perhaps not three galleries, maybe indeed only one) in Glasgow seems a bit excessive.

Very odd indeed... it's the canteen Laughing

A few theories:

1) They couldn't safely make the lighting changes needed to turn the atrium behind the Nine set the colour they would want

2) The programme is still being produced from Gallery E with the single camera in Glasgow being fibred down to NBH. It might be easier to set that up (and the associated reverse vision for the in-vision screen and the autocue) using standard OB kit rather than trying to do it through one of the existing galleries.

3) BBC Internal politics
BR
Brekkie
2 & 3 seems most likely. I don't think they'd care about the background colour too much if using the Nine set.
GE
thegeek Founding member
I suspect the lighting in the atrium is all LED and changeable at the press of a button - the bits of tartan on the balustrade are probably the bigger set dressing issue. Maybe they just thought that the twinkling lights of Glasgow are a better match for the regular set than an empty atrium.

I doubt they'll be rigging and derigging it all every day, and even if the canteen is still operational, they'll be able to do without a large chunk of their seating area due to the reduced headcount in the building.
NJ
news junkie
The tartan around the set is actually LED panels.
HO
House
AlexS posted:

Also worth remembering Kirsty, along with many of her public service broadcaster colleagues, also counts as a key worker per the Government’s classification. Not only is it lawful for her (or indeed anyone else) to travel to work where that can’t reasonably be done from home (and presenting from Glasgow presumably requires additional crew to come in, so isn’t necessarily that advantageous in itself), but Kirsty would also be entitled to send any children to school, and use public transport in central London as a key worker.

Newer posts