« Topics
harshy6,513 posts since 24 Mar 2001
Is it me or the N8 1999 set looks bigger then the last reincarnation of it which looked cramped I am guessing it was because it was rotated the cameras literally have nowhere to go. I got to admit they put more effort into N8 then N9 but it didn’t come across the screen so well with what Stuart said a waste amount of space, maybe that’s why it looks bigger.

I am pretty sure the 1999 original had less China red it was more beige when it started.
Pete9,109 posts since 18 Jun 2001
STV North Reporting Scotland
Great photos. Interesting they got rid of the curved glass where peter is standing when world moved in.

Well they needed the space for the back of the barco wall, it needed distance for access and ventilation.

Can I just reiterate again, having seen the photos Bail has posted, how spectacular the 1999 designs were. Both N8 and N9 looked like futuristic spaceships - what with the Lambie-Nairn titles, David Lowe music and those sets, it really was the pinnacle of BBC News presentation.

Yup, I loved the sheer "warmth" of it, from the downlighting, the reds and creams, to the wood on the desk and the flooring. Now everything is shiney and plastic.

Edit: Also, seeing how little it changed from then till closure, and how different it was to the original 1999, I can see why they were in the greenscreen studio for so long prior to the relaunch.

I loved the second version of the 1999 set, I seem to recall they added more red to the back wall and removed the weird evil laser of screens thing from the ceiling putting the emphasis on that fake gallery thing.

The real gallery was behind the 2003 desk (through the perspex wall) but off to the left. The chairs faced the back wall.
ELM 2011: I am sick of been persicuted by you immature TV Forumers!
Steve in Pudsey10,875 posts since 4 Jan 2003
Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)

What were TC10 and TC11 used for apart from Charlie Brooker? Just wondering why N6 was built rather than N1 or N2 were refurbed?

They were used for lots of things, smaller studio based things for digital channels. One of them was home to the BBC Choice/Three shows like Celebdaq, Liquid News, BBC Three news, 60 seconds etc.

I can't find the whole clip online but when BBC Three launched Johnny Vaughan opened it in either TC10 or 11 and then was shown walking out of the studio into a lift and down to TC8 where his chat show was about to start.

One of the kids channels used one of them for their links too I think. There was also a TC0 on the ground floor which was an old music studio. Zero was chosen because it was a virtual studio, but it was used a lot for non virtual stuff like Cbeebies links and programmes for UK Play such as The Chris Moyles show

TC10 and TC11 were the successor to Pres A and B in certain respects.

Allegedly TC0 was chosen to slip it in under the radar in an era when policy was to close studios rather than open new ones.
Write that down in your copybook now.
Rolling News1,510 posts since 27 Dec 2015 Recently warned
Central (East) East Midlands Today
Can I just reiterate again, having seen the photos Bail has posted, how spectacular the 1999 designs were. Both N8 and N9 looked like futuristic spaceships - what with the Lambie-Nairn titles, David Lowe music and those sets, it really was the pinnacle of BBC News presentation.

Yup, I loved the sheer "warmth" of it, from the downlighting, the reds and creams, to the wood on the desk and the flooring. Now everything is shiney and plastic.

Edit: Also, seeing how little it changed from then till closure, and how different it was to the original 1999, I can see why they were in the greenscreen studio for so long prior to the relaunch.

At least 2 months, judging by this video from October 2003:

Stay alert. Control the virus. Save lives.
msim574 posts since 29 Sep 2003
Looks like they removed the ceiling pillar of monitors in favour of the fake gallery view sometime in May/June 2002.

Nice shots of the second set in use for Weekend 24 papers in this from early 2002. I thought all the News 24 logos were dozens of small screens on the walls but now looking at this and how they're all static its much more likely they were just printed inserts made to look like small 16:9 screens.

JamesWorldNews9,139 posts since 22 Aug 2004
STV Central BBC World News
And here was me thinking the lighting in that temporary CSO set-up was fine! Shows how much I know.

@JamesWorldNews | #StayHomeSaveLives
Rolling News gave kudos
bai494390 posts since 2 Aug 2007
STV Central Reporting Scotland
Looks like they removed the ceiling pillar of monitors in favour of the fake gallery view sometime in May/June 2002.

Nice shots of the second set in use for Weekend 24 papers in this from early 2002. I thought all the News 24 logos were dozens of small screens on the walls but now looking at this and how they're all static its much more likely they were just printed inserts made to look like small 16:9 screens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUiOoR0q1dQ

It was May 2002 and the change coincided with a change of the clock colour from purple to red.
ginnyfan2,856 posts since 5 Feb 2006
BBC World News

At least 2 months, judging by this video from October 2003:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is-SaI0fabo

One of the best things about N9 was the great main presenter shot, which looks even better in 16:9, as seen here with Lyse.

Going from this....

... to this was another downgrade.

BTW, shouldn't all of this be in the main BBC Nostalgia thread which was created recently? We've gone way out of topic here. Embarassed

https://tvforum.uk/thenewsroom/bbc-news-nostalgia-45484/
JamesWorldNews gave kudos